TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 04:40:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 191068 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1080 on: October 16, 2023, 09:20:25 AM »

Hatfield and the North:  Hatfield and the North (Virgin CD).

KHAN :  Space  Shanty  (Eclectic  CD, 2002).

Two Canterbury related albums in an evening, and I confess i got tired half way through Space Shanty and went to bed.  I'm not wild about all Canterbury music- only Soft Machine and Wyatt and Kevin Ayers,   but both these CDs  have been experimental buys which I've never completely given up on.  

I know several people who if forced to pick one Canterbury scene album would head for H&tN.  It wasn't instant for me, but I do love them now.  Khan is a good 'un too.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1081 on: October 16, 2023, 02:55:58 PM »

Two Canterbury related albums in an evening, and I confess i got tired half way through Space Shanty and went to bed.  I'm not wild about all Canterbury music- only Soft Machine and Wyatt and Kevin Ayers,   but both these CDs  have been experimental buys which I've never completely given up on.  

I know several people who if forced to pick one Canterbury scene album would head for H&tN.  It wasn't instant for me, but I do love them now.  Khan is a good 'un too.

I like them both but Hatfields   definitely has the edge.
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #1082 on: October 16, 2023, 07:43:07 PM »

I've grown to really appreciate Caravan, they released some cracking albums which are full of wonderful music. Hatfield I'm learning to love, not there yet.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1083 on: October 17, 2023, 09:50:32 AM »

I've grown to really appreciate Caravan, they released some cracking albums which are full of wonderful music. Hatfield I'm learning to love, not there yet.

I only have Internet the Land of Grey and Pink  (CD), which I quite like.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1084 on: October 17, 2023, 09:52:13 AM »

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1085 on: October 17, 2023, 09:56:15 AM »

The first 7 are all strong (with 2 and 3 fighting for supremacy)...after that it is patchy > very patchy.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1086 on: October 18, 2023, 09:14:48 AM »

I only have  the Land of Grey and Pink  (CD), which I quite like.

The first 7 are all strong (with 2 and 3 fighting for supremacy)...after that it is patchy > very patchy.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1087 on: October 18, 2023, 09:16:39 AM »

Which would you say is their best, David-  if it's possible to do so of course.
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #1088 on: October 18, 2023, 10:08:48 AM »

I would go for 2,3 and 4 (Land of Grey and Pink by a country mile, with Plump in the Night and Waterloo Lily second equal). IMHO....

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1089 on: October 18, 2023, 10:09:04 AM »

Which would you say is their best, David-  if it's possible to do so of course.

Albums 2 and 3 (as above).  My default is LoGaP but sometimes I think IICDIAOAIDIOY hits an even sweeter spot...

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1090 on: October 18, 2023, 10:25:20 AM »

With the death of Carla Bley at 87 from brain cancer, the world has lost a truly great jazz musician.

Although Escalator Over The Hill is probably her best known work, her collaboration with Nick Mason on his 1979 album Fictitious Sports was my first exposure to her unique style and I've been listening to it today.

https://youtu.be/RZQL8oowe3A?si=bkaKTo0IA4xPM4Lr

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1091 on: October 18, 2023, 11:20:01 AM »

That is sad news, but in a "thumbs sideways" way, in that I'd never heard Fictitious Sports, but now I have, I shall have to investigate further...

Flobbadob!
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #1092 on: October 19, 2023, 11:04:35 AM »

Having a listening morning today...

Ghosts of Jupiter - keepers of the newborn green.  Melodic Folk/Psych/Prog/Pop etc  Grin

https://ghostsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/track/the-undertaking

Buck Curran - Immortal light. Not dissimilar to the folkier and more accessible side of Six organs of admittance (I realise I'm talking to a niche audience here....)

https://obsoleterecordings.bandcamp.com/track/wayfaring-summer-reprise

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1093 on: October 19, 2023, 11:44:39 AM »

Having a listening morning today...

Ghosts of Jupiter - keepers of the newborn green.  Melodic Folk/Psych/Prog/Pop etc  Grin

https://ghostsofjupiter.bandcamp.com/track/the-undertaking

Buck Curran - Immortal light. Not dissimilar to the folkier and more accessible side of Six organs of admittance (I realise I'm talking to a niche audience here....)

https://obsoleterecordings.bandcamp.com/track/wayfaring-summer-reprise

I hear you  Wink Grin

Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #1094 on: October 19, 2023, 12:46:51 PM »

Grin

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1095 on: October 20, 2023, 10:02:15 AM »

Slapp Happy  :  Sort Of  ( Week End LP,  2023).

Another adventure into Canterbury- land, and a slightly expensive one.  This has been remastered very well from the 1973 release. It's a slow burner, but bits of it are a delight- makes me smile, which can't be bad.  I've always liked Dalmar  Krause's voice.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1096 on: October 20, 2023, 10:22:01 AM »

Slapp Happy  :  Sort Of  ( Week End LP,  2023).

Another adventure into Canterbury- land, and a slightly expensive one.  This has been remastered very well from the 1973 release. It's a slow burner, but bits of it are a delight- makes me smile, which can't be bad.  I've always liked Dalmar  Krause's voice.

I love Slapp Happy including their collaborations with Henry Cow.  Dagmar is very marmite but I'm a fan..

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1097 on: October 20, 2023, 11:23:00 AM »

Hackney Diamonds - quite good for 80-year-olds!

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1098 on: October 20, 2023, 11:45:55 AM »

Damned with faint praise?

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1099 on: October 20, 2023, 12:12:50 PM »

Damned with faint praise?

I think it's as good an album as they've put together since the 70s.  I guess the next question is how one contextualises what that actually means.  It's obviously meant to be the last album (Rolling Stone Blues final track etc.).  Rock'n'Roll is definitely on borrowed time!

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: