TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 05:34:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 191117 times)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1040 on: September 20, 2023, 08:10:21 PM »

Seems there are some blues fans on the Ginger Feather FB group so I've put together a mix for next week with numbers from the likes of Memphis Minnie and John Lee Hooker to more recent stuff including a track from Edgar Winter's tribute album to his brother. Could make it a monthly thing if it proves popular.

If anyone can recommend any current blues singers & players please do as most of my blues collection is from the last century.  Cool

Currently listening to Rory Gallagher's Irish Tour '74.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1041 on: September 20, 2023, 11:16:43 PM »

Seems there are some blues fans on the Ginger Feather FB group so I've put together a mix for next week with numbers from the likes of Memphis Minnie and John Lee Hooker to more recent stuff including a track from Edgar Winter's tribute album to his brother. Could make it a monthly thing if it proves popular.

If anyone can recommend any current blues singers & players please do as most of my blues collection is from the last century.  Cool

Jackie Venson
Christone ‘Kingfish Ingram
Jontavius Willis
Ally Venable

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1042 on: September 21, 2023, 10:35:35 AM »

Jackie Venson
Jontavius Willis
Ally Venable

Thanks Robert, I'll check them out. I get Rock N Reel magazine which covers new blues releases so I'll look through the last couple of issues and see what I can find. I have an album by the Matt Woosey Band who are pretty good but that came out 10 years ago.

RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1043 on: September 21, 2023, 12:22:04 PM »

Jackie Venson
Jontavius Willis
Ally Venable

Thanks Robert, I'll check them out. I get Rock N Reel magazine which covers new blues releases so I'll look through the last couple of issues and see what I can find. I have an album by the Matt Woosey Band who are pretty good but that came out 10 years ago.

My pleasure. I’ve been a fan of Jackie’s for years now. She is phenomenal! She is fond of using the phrase ‘ the blues are the roots, everything else is the fruit’ to describe her bluesy blend, which is a good way to describe the other three I mentioned come to think of it. I’ve been fortunate to see some great masters of the blues over the years, but I’m glad its still going strong with the new generation

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #1044 on: September 21, 2023, 03:08:00 PM »

My pleasure. I’ve been a fan of Jackie’s for years now. She is phenomenal! She is fond of using the phrase ‘ the blues are the roots, everything else is the fruit’ to describe her bluesy blend, which is a good way to describe the other three I mentioned come to think of it. I’ve been fortunate to see some great masters of the blues over the years, but I’m glad its still going strong with the new generation

Likewise, I saw BB King and Buddy Guy on a few occasions and was at an excellent Clapton gig at the Albert Hall back in about 1990 with Buddy and Robert Cray but you need the next generation to pick up the baton and keep the music going. Same with folk music. It was great to see GNOSS at Towersey carrying on the folk tradition but with new instrumentation.

I've been listening to tracks by these three who had album reviews in the July/Aug RnR mag. I'd heard of MJB as he guested on Eric Bibb's Friends album and by coincidence I chose the song the two of them did for my blues mix which is now on my Mixcloud page.

Michael Jerome Browne - Gettin' Together
Lil Jimmy Reed & Ben Levin - Back to Baton Rouge
Grainne Duffy - Dirt Woman Blues

sliprigilio (Al)
my it's should be its

Loc: Cornwall

« Reply #1045 on: September 21, 2023, 03:32:23 PM »

Checkout Connor Selby.  He's young, he's English and he's fab...

Cheers,

Slippy
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1046 on: September 21, 2023, 05:26:21 PM »

Work from home day with a nice cool breeze coming in, a perfect day for some Nick Drake, or in this case-The Endless Coloured Days Tribute album. I’m really enjoying this! Especially like Fontaines D.C’s Cello Song, john Parish & Aldous Harding’s ‘Three Hours’, Ben Harper’s ‘Time Has Told Me’, Kris Drever & Karine Polwart’s ‘ Northern Sky, AURORA’s ‘Pink Moon’ and Liz Phair’s ‘Free Ride’.

On vinyl with great artwork

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1047 on: September 22, 2023, 02:52:01 PM »

The 'free' disc with the Nov issue of Uncut is an extract from the 'Oo mega box...

Well worth a gander... https://www.uncut.co.uk/features/pete-townshend-introduces-our-free-the-who-cd-143751/

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1048 on: September 22, 2023, 03:16:07 PM »

The Breeders  : Last Splash  -30th anniversary edition  (2x45rpm LPs,  +12",  clear/coloured vinyl, 4AD, 2023).

Outside my usual era and area of interest, but  it's a nice package and I was  attracted by the fact it's mastered from original analogue tapes.  There are no actual **** bands/artists on 4AD to my knowledge but the label is a broad church.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1049 on: September 22, 2023, 03:30:43 PM »

Beatrix Players Living And Alive - not a live album, though the title might give you that idea, but a new one that just came out.  Only Amy Birks of the original line-up, but she has recruited a bunch of new people, including John (brother of Steve) Hackett on flute.  

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #1050 on: September 26, 2023, 01:58:50 PM »

The Coral - Sea of mirrors  Smiley

I only 'got into' The Coral a few months ago via their previous 'Coral Island' album, which I thoroughly enjoyed, apart from the Stanley Unwin-esque narration.

Two listens in and I'm smitten with this new one. It might end up rivalling Meg Baird's 'Furling' as my album of the year... Smiley

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #1051 on: September 26, 2023, 06:01:55 PM »

A varied selection today Roger Rodier - upon velveatur (good but doesn’t deserve the Lazy Nick Drake comparisons which sometimes get bandied around),  Buffy Sainte Marie - illuminations (the first time I have been able to appreciate her vocal which work well on these tracks), Sibylle Bauer - Colour Green ( a great acoustic gem, even though one or two tracks don’t sound finished), The Endless Coloured Ways - The Songs of Nick Drake ( a sacred cow to some but I would say there is enough variation and just the right amount of reverence to make it worth hearing and it’s already had a few replays) and finally a remastered 2 CD Uriah Heep - The Magician’s Birthday (bought to replace the vinyl reissue I had years ago and a really strong album not just for Blind Eye and Sweet Lorraine no matter how good those tracks stand up)!

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1052 on: September 27, 2023, 09:05:34 AM »

Mott the Hoople:  Wildlife and Mad Shadows (Island LP reissues, 2019).

Just about my favourites, I think.  Dudes was a good album too but of course, the band had reinvented themselves then.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1053 on: September 27, 2023, 11:02:57 AM »

Just about my favourites, I think.  Dudes was a good album too but of course, the band had reinvented themselves then.

I'm a big Mott fan and Wildlife is far and away my favourite Mott album. Ian's trilogy is simply magnificent.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1054 on: September 27, 2023, 01:21:23 PM »

I'm a big Mott fan and Wildlife is far and away my favourite Mott album. Ian's trilogy is simply magnificent.

Yes I love Wildlife. Strange I recall  Ian saying he/the band didn't like it.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1055 on: September 29, 2023, 02:09:04 PM »

John and Jacqui Grenoble University 23rd January 1974

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVlF4l3m7MI

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1056 on: October 01, 2023, 04:13:12 PM »

The recently remastered Andy Irvine & Paul Brady album with extensive notes by Gareth Murphy about the recording, the tracks and the legacy. Not sure where my previous copy went so this is an essential!

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1057 on: October 01, 2023, 05:34:50 PM »

The recently remastered Andy Irvine & Paul Brady album with extensive notes by Gareth Murphy about the recording, the tracks and the legacy. Not sure where my previous copy went so this is an essential!

The purple LP?  Very good reissue.   I never had the album before and was delighted to be able to buy it new.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1058 on: October 01, 2023, 05:53:16 PM »

On a recommendation I sought out the debut album by Black Pumas, who I had never heard of prior to this. It really is good. Simple, soulful music, I love it.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1059 on: October 01, 2023, 07:32:28 PM »

The purple LP?  Very good reissue.   I never had the album before and was delighted to be able to buy it new.

Correct, the purple album.

Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: