TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 05:40:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 191122 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1020 on: September 09, 2023, 04:30:31 PM »

I've been listening to and enjoying Broadsword this morning.  The new multi-disc set must surely be over egging the pudding though?  Anybody got it and can convince me otherwise?  8 discs for less than £70 does rather show Bob Dylan where to shove his 4 CDs for £170 new Budokan box....

Incidentally, was Bruce (Rowland) ever in Tull?  I swear there's a photo in this month's Prog that features him... Incidentally, Ian is both exceedingly complimentary, and a little rude, about Gerry....

* IMG_20230909_164822822.jpg (209.84 KB, 820x615 - viewed 410 times.)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 04:52:52 PM by davidmjs » Logged

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1021 on: September 09, 2023, 05:52:09 PM »

I've been listening to and enjoying Broadsword this morning.  The new multi-disc set must surely be over egging the pudding though?  Anybody got it and can convince me otherwise?  8 discs for less than £70 does rather show Bob Dylan where to shove his 4 CDs for £170 new Budokan box....

Incidentally, was Bruce (Rowland) ever in Tull?  I swear there's a photo in this month's Prog that features him... Incidentally, Ian is both exceedingly complimentary, and a little rude, about Gerry....

Apparently there was a drummer issue for a few years after Broadsword. Gerry left and Paul Burgess did the US tour. Phil Collins played the Prince's Trust Concert. Then it seemed to be either Gerry, Paul, Doane Perry and/or a drum machine until Rock Island when Doane became permanent.

I'm guessing Bruce is just filling in for a TV performance in the picture, maybe miming to a backing track, and brought in by Peggy. That's not the full stage set or a particularly big stage.

Well I never did..
Sue & Chris

« Reply #1022 on: September 10, 2023, 08:24:01 AM »

I loved Broadsword when it first came out, but it has aged the least well of all Tull albums, imo. Would be interested to hear whether the latest remix has managed to mitigate all that parpy 80s keyboard.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1023 on: September 10, 2023, 11:07:36 AM »

I loved Broadsword when it first came out, but it has aged the least well of all Tull albums, imo. Would be interested to hear whether the latest remix has managed to mitigate all that parpy 80s keyboard.

You reckon A and Under Wraps have aged better - really?  I think what Broadsword has in its favour is that it balances the (then) modern with the 'traditional' Tull sound all wrapped up in a slightly more AORish sheen...that makes it sound hideous actually Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1024 on: September 10, 2023, 01:39:00 PM »

You reckon A and Under Wraps have aged better - really?  I think what Broadsword has in its favour is that it balances the (then) modern with the 'traditional' Tull sound all wrapped up in a slightly more AORish sheen...that makes it sound hideous actually Grin
I suppose that would depend upon what you thought of them to start with!!  Grin

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Sue & Chris

« Reply #1025 on: September 10, 2023, 02:20:25 PM »

Indeed! I keep forgetting about Under Wraps, because I think I've listened to it about twice. It's not for me. A, I think, hangs on to a bit of the Stormwatch feel, so sounds a little less dated. Broadsword, for the record, is miles better than both of them, dated or not!
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #1026 on: September 10, 2023, 10:26:57 PM »

Indeed! I keep forgetting about Under Wraps, because I think I've listened to it about twice. It's not for me. A, I think, hangs on to a bit of the Stormwatch feel, so sounds a little less dated. Broadsword, for the record, is miles better than both of them, dated or not!

For me Broadsword was such a welcome return to melodic Tull with interesting arrangements and great playing and songs. I don't know about the boxset, maybe my listening has moved on, there is so much great new music explore.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1027 on: September 11, 2023, 07:38:58 AM »

For me Broadsword was such a welcome return to melodic Tull with interesting arrangements and great playing and songs. I don't know about the boxset, maybe my listening has moved on, there is so much great new music explore.

I'm not sure I fully buy that.  I suppose it's a return after one album most people didn't warn to...A, but immediately prior to that you'd had the folk-rock (lazy shorthand - it's not that really, but...) trilogy of Songs, Heavy Horses, and Stormcock.

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1028 on: September 11, 2023, 09:32:45 AM »

Heavy Horses was my firm favourite of that era.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1029 on: September 11, 2023, 07:18:40 PM »

I did buy the boxset, but have only listened through once so far.  I have to say that Broadsword has always been a Tull album I have gone back to - the first I bought, and for a long time the only one I owned.  I think the new mix is an improvement - but as I say, that is on only one listen so far, and all the extra songs sound better to me too than the previous release.

Since they recorded so many songs that didn't make the album then, they had to all be released on this one reall, or all the completists would be complaining.

The live set is good too, though assembled from about four concerts rather than just one as on some of the previous sets.

And I don't have a 5.1 system, so can't comment on the DVDs with that mix on them.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1030 on: September 13, 2023, 09:46:58 AM »

John Martyn  :  On Air (Radio Bremen CD).

There are a lot of JM live CDs out there.   Thus is one of the best imo.  Rough and ready,  inspired, passionate. 1975, and he's at the top of his game.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1031 on: September 13, 2023, 10:58:32 AM »

Having a first listen to Fleetwood Mac's finally released new "historical" live album : "Rumours Live".

It's exceeding my expectations. A still-hungry Buckingham Nicks version of the Mac with just the 2 albums under their belt, captured live in August 1977, playing out of their skins.

My only question is why have the tapes for probably one of the best live albums I've ever heard been sat on and unreleased for such a long time ?
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #1032 on: September 13, 2023, 12:12:11 PM »

Has anyone heard music written and performed by an Anglican Bishop?

https://andrewrumseymusic.bandcamp.com/album/evensongs

"The eight songs on Andrew Rumsey’s Evensongs were recorded live on a single summer day in All Saints, Ham, a remote 12th century church in Wiltshire. Accompanied by guitarist David Perry and RealWorld Studios’ Bob Mackenzie, armed with a collection of vintage microphones, Rumsey set out to capture something of the magic of a country church in August – complete with bees, birdsong, and a whisper of wheezy organ. Evensongs is an imaginary congregation - singing of lost places, and their hope of return."

I think if you like the airy melancholy folk of Heron or Jeremy Harmer you might like this  Smiley

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1033 on: September 13, 2023, 12:22:29 PM »

Has anyone heard music written and performed by an Anglican Bishop?

https://andrewrumseymusic.bandcamp.com/album/evensongs

"The eight songs on Andrew Rumsey’s Evensongs were recorded live on a single summer day in All Saints, Ham, a remote 12th century church in Wiltshire. Accompanied by guitarist David Perry and RealWorld Studios’ Bob Mackenzie, armed with a collection of vintage microphones, Rumsey set out to capture something of the magic of a country church in August – complete with bees, birdsong, and a whisper of wheezy organ. Evensongs is an imaginary congregation - singing of lost places, and their hope of return."

I think if you like the airy melancholy folk of Heron or Jeremy Harmer you might like this  Smiley

Intriguing.  Sounds (well, looks) very interesting.  You read the book?  ps I had to look up where Ramsbury was.  pps boring true fact: my Uncle is a (very!) retired suffragan Anglican Bishop (Knaresborough).

Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #1034 on: September 13, 2023, 01:11:30 PM »

I'm glad it intrigued you David  Grin

I haven't read the book, but as a Christian with a profound interest in the 'spirit of place' I think it might be right up my street  Smiley

I'd never really known what a 'Suffragan Bishop' was, so thank you for prompting me to find out  Cheesy

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1035 on: September 13, 2023, 02:11:53 PM »

I'm glad it intrigued you David  Grin

I haven't read the book, but as a Christian with a profound interest in the 'spirit of place' I think it might be right up my street  Smiley

I'd never really known what a 'Suffragan Bishop' was, so thank you for prompting me to find out  Cheesy

Basically a Div 2 Bishop, an Assistant if you will...most dioceses have one or maybe two.

I've actually been engaging in conversation with AR this afternoon.  Funny old world where we can do that, isn't it?

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1036 on: September 13, 2023, 02:28:54 PM »

Boiled in Lead on the recommendation of a friend.  As far as I can tell there is only one mention of them on TAW and that was in 2006 by Tullist...which is kind of surprising given the palette from which they paint.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiled_in_Lead

Anyone know them?  Care to make any recommendations?  

RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1037 on: September 13, 2023, 03:47:23 PM »

I had to search to find the one album I had by them, which was ‘Orb’. I do remember a sort of buzz about them at the time…kind of an American 3 Mustaphas 3 type of thing, but I never warmed to them. Maybe it was just my tastes at the time.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #1038 on: September 13, 2023, 11:37:41 PM »

Boiled in Lead on the recommendation of a friend.  As far as I can tell there is only one mention of them on TAW and that was in 2006 by Tullist...which is kind of surprising given the palette from which they paint.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiled_in_Lead

Anyone know them?  Care to make any recommendations?  

I've got three albums by them, my favourite being From The Ladle To The Grave, which essentially melds Celtic folk with it's Central & Eastern counterparts. The first two are more straight ahead folk-rock albeit with a punkish undercurrent. All three are worth a listen, I reckon.
Sue & Chris

« Reply #1039 on: September 15, 2023, 04:26:42 PM »

'Valley of Heart's Delight' by Margo Cilker. What a great album.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: