TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 09:35:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 190716 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #900 on: May 19, 2023, 12:35:09 PM »

A French radio station “fip”. A truly eclectic mix of music.

So far this morning I’ve had a reggae version of Paranoid, Forest by Tudor Lodge feat Linda Peters (wonder what happened to her?) a classical piece I recognised but can’t remember the name, Bob Dylan singing I Can’t Help Falling in Love With You, some great jazz & loads of other stuff I didn’t write down.

I haven’t listened to another radio station since it was recommended to me.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #901 on: May 19, 2023, 08:07:03 PM »

Two new albums from artists well into their sixth decade of making music.

Seven Psalms - Paul Simon

He is one of the absolute touchstones of my musical life and I love everything from The Paul Simon Songbook to The Rhythm of the Saints. After that things get patchier. There are songs I like but rarely complete albums. He seemed to forget how to write memorable tunes and this one continues in that vein. Melodic certainly but largely devoid of hooks. From his back catalogue it reminds me most of all of Songs From The Capeman. Sadly it is not going to displace Still Crazy After All These Years or One Trick Pony in my affections.

O Sun, O Moon - Bruce Cockburn

By contrast, quite simply one of the best records of his career. Deeply spiritual and confronting his mortality as many records by older artists seem to now but it has melodies and lyrics that instantly lodge in the brain and is an album of enormous compassion and dignity.

One thing that connects both records in a negative way however. Lyrics about Covid that will date them faster than yesterday's newspapers. I never want to hear a song about or be reminded of the depths of the pandemic and I am sure I am not alone, so Simon's repeated "The Covid virus is The Lord", though possibly not intended the way it reads, is not helpful.
Paul B

« Reply #902 on: May 20, 2023, 11:52:14 AM »

I was waiting for a review GG as yours are always interesting and thoughtful -I am expecting the Paul Simon CD today and will listen with an open-ish, pretty sceptical, mind -the consensus of the on-line and print reviewers is overwhelmingly positive, which is sometimes a red flag for me.
As for Mr Cockburn I will investigate as I have not really explored his work in any depth unlike others -Neil Y, Lyle Lovett, Rodney Crowell, Dave Alvin etc
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #903 on: May 20, 2023, 01:50:00 PM »

He is one of the absolute touchstones of my musical life and I love everything from The Paul Simon Songbook to The Rhythm of the Saints. After that things get patchier. There are songs I like but rarely complete albums. He seemed to forget how to write memorable tunes and this one continues in that vein. Melodic certainly but largely devoid of hooks. From his back catalogue it reminds me most of all of Songs From The Capeman. Sadly it is not going to displace Still Crazy After All These Years or One Trick Pony in my affections.

By contrast, quite simply one of the best records of his career. Deeply spiritual and confronting his mortality as many records by older artists seem to now but it has melodies and lyrics that instantly lodge in the brain and is an album of enormous compassion and dignity.

One thing that connects both records in a negative way however. Lyrics about Covid that will date them faster than yesterday's newspapers. I never want to hear a song about or be reminded of the depths of the pandemic and I am sure I am not alone, so Simon's repeated "The Covid virus is The Lord", though possibly not intended the way it reads, is not helpful.

I too have been listening to new albums by oldies, in my case Paul Simon and Graham Nash. Both myself and Mrs Reg have been long time fans of Paul Simon and have seen him twice (plus 2 tribute bands -Gary Stewarts Graceland are rather good). The new album is excrutiating and we couldnt even get half way through. Dull in the extreme. On the other hand the Nash on first hearing is pretty good. No over complications and bottom disappearing there at all. I am making up somewhat for grossly undervaluing him throught the latter part of the 70's , the 80's and 90's. Finally seeing him with Crosby and CSN made me realise how much he brought to the whole. Well worth a listen.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #904 on: May 20, 2023, 05:35:32 PM »

Just listening to the Paul Simon album on Spotify.  Will withhold judgment till I've heard the whole thing.

Thanks for the review of the Bruce Cockburn album - will definitely follow up on that one (I hadn't realised it was out already).

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #905 on: May 20, 2023, 09:58:19 PM »

I too have been listening to new albums by oldies, in my case Paul Simon and Graham Nash. Both myself and Mrs Reg have been long time fans of Paul Simon and have seen him twice (plus 2 tribute bands -Gary Stewarts Graceland are rather good). The new album is excrutiating and we couldnt even get half way through. Dull in the extreme. On the other hand the Nash on first hearing is pretty good. No over complications and bottom disappearing there at all. I am making up somewhat for grossly undervaluing him throught the latter part of the 70's , the 80's and 90's. Finally seeing him with Crosby and CSN made me realise how much he brought to the whole. Well worth a listen.

Agreed on the new Graham Nash album. Very enjoyable on early acquaintance. His last one, This Path Tonight, has been one of my highlights of the last decade, and it's looking promising that Now might match its impact.
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #906 on: May 21, 2023, 01:36:03 PM »

Personally I'm liking the new Paul Simon album, took me more than one listen to get into it but it has many exquisite moments both musically and lyrically. Not a 'pop' album by any means but it rings with spiritual depth  Smiley

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #907 on: May 23, 2023, 06:12:26 PM »

Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society.

A little late to the 'Holy Crape ! Do You Remember Walter is Mr Blue Sky party (or the other way round),' but it's about time I listened to a proper Kinks album, as opposed to Greatest Hits collections.

I was more familiar with some of the songs than I realised, and I'm enjoying wallowing in the Sixties nostalgia of that weird green carpet my parents bought that provided city streets for my Matchbox cars while I listened to the radio on the Grundig stereogram.

Good stuff from way back when.

I love that album, must give it another listen

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #908 on: May 24, 2023, 09:49:25 AM »

Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society.

A little late to the 'Holy Crape ! Do You Remember Walter is Mr Blue Sky party (or the other way round),' but it's about time I listened to a proper Kinks album, as opposed to Greatest Hits collections.

I was more familiar with some of the songs than I realised, and I'm enjoying wallowing in the Sixties nostalgia of that weird green carpet my parents bought that provided city streets for my Matchbox cars while I listened to the radio on the Grundig stereogram.

Good stuff from way back when.

I love that album, must give it another listen

In another dimension, every track on VGPS was a hit single.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Peter Allen

« Reply #909 on: May 24, 2023, 03:36:13 PM »

I think I bought an expanded version of VGPS , I need to dig it out to try the bonus stuff , I didn't bother at the time as the original album on CD1 well that seemed to say it all...but maybe worth a revisit if I can find discs 2 + 3
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #910 on: May 24, 2023, 04:00:39 PM »

I think I bought an expanded version of VGPS , I need to dig it out to try the bonus stuff , I didn't bother at the time as the original album on CD1 well that seemed to say it all...but maybe worth a revisit if I can find discs 2 + 3

Remarkably, that old 3 disc edition still had some crucual tracks missing. I made my own expanded double album length version.

Jules

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #911 on: May 24, 2023, 06:47:55 PM »

Fenne Lily - Big Picture. What a find. A tip off from a friend living in Germany where she has toured with Lucy Dacus. Fans of Lucy , Boygenius or Mazzy Star will love this.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #912 on: May 25, 2023, 11:19:57 AM »

Peter Gabriel albums

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #913 on: May 28, 2023, 10:10:45 AM »

Barclay James Harvest “Once Again” 4 disc version.
The 5.1 remix is stunning!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #914 on: May 28, 2023, 04:29:05 PM »

I never quite forgave the VGPS for making a list of all things quintessentially English ... and then including Mickey Mouse  Tongue
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #915 on: May 29, 2023, 01:20:59 PM »

I never quite forgave the VGPS for making a list of all things quintessentially English ... and then including Mickey Mouse  Tongue

Donald Duck, to be accurate.

Jules

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #916 on: May 30, 2023, 08:37:09 AM »

Renaissance  :  A Song for All Seasons  (Cherry Red LP,  2023).
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #917 on: June 02, 2023, 02:08:31 PM »

A bunch of John Hiatt albums to accompany a biography that I am currently reading.

Interested to learn that Gerry Conway played on one of my favourite of his albums, Slug Line. I wonder how that connection was made as the album was recorded in the UD and it is not the sort of music I would normally associate with Gerry.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #918 on: June 02, 2023, 03:44:17 PM »

Meg Baird - Furling.

I'm new to her music having heard a track from this album on the latest Mojo cd. It's one of these records that occasionally makes you pause for thought because you're reminded of other artists but you can't think who. This review does mention Sandy Denny and Fairport so that could be the link.

https://www.folkradio.co.uk/2023/01/meg-baird-furling/

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Yorkshire Chris
Did you have a Sloppy Guiseppe?

Loc: Yorkshire (who'd have guessed...!)

« Reply #919 on: June 02, 2023, 03:53:33 PM »

Meg Baird is amazing. I saw her at the Brudenell in Leeds when she was over here promoting 'Don't Weigh Down the Light' in 2015. Met her after the gig and she's lovely.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: