TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 03:34:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 191001 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #880 on: April 14, 2023, 09:13:03 PM »

I think it's great when you latch onto something new , especially if it's a little out of your comfort zone , it's easy to stick with the well trodden , much loved classics that you've grown up adoring and bought the 6xcd remastered boxset of....
Been there!  Cheesy

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #881 on: April 14, 2023, 10:49:46 PM »

Richard Olson and the Familiars. A really varied bunch of songs that didn't naturally fit with The Hanging Stars or his other projects Rich has found an outlet for them on his first solo album with the help of a few familiar faces, good to see him reunited with Ben Phillipson, albeit for one song only.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #882 on: April 22, 2023, 09:22:03 AM »

Trevor Beales   : Fireside Stories -  Hebden Bridge  circa 1971-74.

(Basin Records LP,  2022).
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #883 on: May 11, 2023, 03:02:26 PM »

Kirsty Merryn Our Bright Night - I hadn't come across her before last night, but enjoyed her voice enough to take a punt on one of her albums from the merch stall, and all I can say is, Wow!  If you haven't come across her, do have a listen.  Really good.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #884 on: May 12, 2023, 08:26:08 AM »

Soft Machine  :  Alive and Well -   Recorded in Paris  ( See for Miles  LP, 1990).
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #885 on: May 12, 2023, 09:43:31 AM »

Ooh, I've got the 2010 2CD of Alive & Well - haven't played it for a while - thanks for the "nudge" Alan2!

Flobbadob!
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #886 on: May 12, 2023, 03:17:55 PM »

Ooh, I've got the 2010 2CD of Alive & Well - haven't played it for a while - thanks for the "nudge" Alan2!

You're welcome.

Actually, as I was listening I remembered there was a reissue a while sgo. Whats the extra material like?  
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #887 on: May 15, 2023, 11:23:56 AM »

I have been listeninng to the new Easy Star All Stars release Ziggy Stardub.

Although fairly enjoyable, it jumps around a bit with all the different guest vocalists, so I preferred some tracks to others, but I wonder how much that has to do with the song rather than the performance.  Not quite up to the to their chilled out Dub Side of the Moon.

The cd has a bonus track where they cover " All the young dudes."  I always felt that the lyric .".and Wendy's stealing clothes  from Marks and Sparks " caused confusion to those outside the UK. Mott the Hoople's version use that lyric as does a version I have of them with Bowie on vocals. But Easy Star AllStars use ..and Wendy's stealing clothes from unlocked cars"  which probably rhymes better with the next line about Freddy having spots from pealing off stars. Lyric sites on the internet have both version,  I wondered if Bowie ever changed them?  

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #888 on: May 15, 2023, 11:29:11 AM »

Disc 2 contains:

K's Riff, The Nodder, Two Down, The Spraunce, Song of Aeolus, Sideburn, The Tale of Taliesin, Organic Matter/ One Over the Eight - all recorded at Le Theatre Palace, Montmartre 7-9 July - all previously unreleased - good sound and performances.

Also the A&B sides of the Harvest single HAR5155 - Soft Space Part One (Edited version) and Soft Space Part Two (Disco version) - inessential but interesting, I'd say.

Flobbadob!
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #889 on: May 16, 2023, 09:49:43 PM »

Although fairly enjoyable, it jumps around a bit with all the different guest vocalists, so I preferred some tracks to others, but I wonder how much that has to do with the song rather than the performance.  Not quite up to the to their chilled out Dub Side of the Moon.

The cd has a bonus track where they cover " All the young dudes."  I always felt that the lyric .".and Wendy's stealing clothes  from Marks and Sparks " caused confusion to those outside the UK. Mott the Hoople's version use that lyric as does a version I have of them with Bowie on vocals. But Easy Star AllStars use ..and Wendy's stealing clothes from unlocked cars"  which probably rhymes better with the next line about Freddy having spots from pealing off stars. Lyric sites on the internet have both version,  I wondered if Bowie ever changed them?  

It's interesting. Every version I have heard has got Marks and Sparks, yet the printed version in the David Bowie songbook has unlocked cars.

Paul

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #890 on: May 17, 2023, 02:23:18 PM »

Disc 2 contains:

K's Riff, The Nodder, Two Down, The Spraunce, Song of Aeolus, Sideburn, The Tale of Taliesin, Organic Matter/ One Over the Eight - all recorded at Le Theatre Palace, Montmartre 7-9 July - all previously unreleased - good sound and performances.

Also the A&B sides of the Harvest single HAR5155 - Soft Space Part One (Edited version) and Soft Space Part Two (Disco version) - inessential but interesting, I'd say.

Cheers Paul
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #891 on: May 17, 2023, 03:52:48 PM »

Tubular Bells, as it approaches its 50th anniversary

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #892 on: May 17, 2023, 04:37:27 PM »

It's interesting. Every version I have heard has got Marks and Sparks, yet the printed version in the David Bowie songbook has unlocked cars.

Paul

IIRC, BBC wouldn't play the 'Marks and Sparks' version as it was considered advertising, so it was re-recordewd using 'unlocked cars', similar to the Kinks 'Lola' and the 'tastes just like cherry/ Coca Cola'
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #893 on: May 18, 2023, 09:09:37 AM »

Are you tempted by the anniversary edition,  Will?
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #894 on: May 18, 2023, 09:29:07 AM »

I don't think so. I don't have the audio equipment to really benefit from it - 5.1 system, etc. Not even a Blu-Ray player!  And actually, it isn't - by quite a way - my favourite Mike Oldfield album.  There, I said it!

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #895 on: May 18, 2023, 09:31:07 AM »

And actually, it isn't - by quite a way - my favourite Mike Oldfield album.  There, I said it!

Ommadawn's the one. It's always been the one.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #896 on: May 18, 2023, 03:21:58 PM »

I don't think so. I don't have the audio equipment to really benefit from it - 5.1 system, etc. Not even a Blu-Ray player!  And actually, it isn't - by quite a way - my favourite Mike Oldfield album.  There, I said it!

Nor mine. Of those I've heard, which aren't his whole catalogue, I like Ommadawn best.

I dont do 5.1 etc. either, but I think there's a remastered vinyl LP coming. Might be of interest to an old fogey like me.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #897 on: May 19, 2023, 10:17:20 AM »

Nor mine. Of those I've heard, which aren't his whole catalogue, I like Ommadawn best.

I dont do 5.1 etc. either, but I think there's a remastered vinyl LP coming. Might be of interest to an old fogey like me.

I must admit to a liking for his mixed long-form and song albums - Five Miles Out, Discovery and especially Crises, but maybe that's also because that's when I found his music.  I also have a soft spot for Hergest Ridge.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #898 on: May 19, 2023, 11:16:04 AM »

I must admit to a liking for his mixed long-form and song albums - Five Miles Out, Discovery and especially Crises, but maybe that's also because that's when I found his music.  I also have a soft spot for Hergest Ridge.

He definitely had a good 80s, imo.  I still listen to Discovery.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #899 on: May 19, 2023, 12:34:40 PM »

Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society.

A little late to the 'Holy Crape ! Do You Remember Walter is Mr Blue Sky party (or the other way round),' but it's about time I listened to a proper Kinks album, as opposed to Greatest Hits collections.

I was more familiar with some of the songs than I realised, and I'm enjoying wallowing in the Sixties nostalgia of that weird green carpet my parents bought that provided city streets for my Matchbox cars while I listened to the radio on the Grundig stereogram.

Good stuff from way back when.

Well I never did..
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: