TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 02:19:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 190928 times)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #820 on: March 10, 2023, 05:06:13 PM »

Dan Webster -Diamond Land
Hummingbird - Tougher Than Love. Would love them to make another but Amy Wadge must be on to her second or third million by now!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #821 on: March 10, 2023, 07:00:04 PM »

Manu Dibango - Electric Africa - the opening track Pita Piya appeared on an NME cassette many moons ago...

Flobbadob!
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #822 on: March 11, 2023, 10:09:51 AM »

Hummingbird - Tougher Than Love. Would love them to make another but Amy Wadge must be on to her second or third million by now!

I love that Hummingbird album. They got sort of overlooked at Cropredy but I thought they were great.

Today I shall mostly be listening to the new album by The Long Ryder's, September November and an old album by Colin MacIntyre, Island.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #823 on: March 11, 2023, 02:44:26 PM »

VdGG - The Bath Forum Concert

I don't really understand why (I suppose it's Peter's vocals though?) but people are never so-so about Van der Graaf are they?  Anyway the new live album from last year's Bath concert is now out and it is....utterly brilliant of course.  The visual (a DVD and Blu-Ray are included) does actually add to the audio for once.  Watching Hugh is mesmerising (but then you could say the same about Peter and Guy).

I'll be honest and say it's badly overpriced though.  One disc  (either DVD or Blu-Ray) is superfluous for absolutely everybody so making one pay £40 for 4 discs when one only wants 3 is annoying to say the least, but hey the recent box sets have been cheap as chips so...  It's also streaming, so give yourself an hour and three quarters, sit down and make yourself a nice hot drink and join in the fun.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #824 on: March 11, 2023, 07:53:26 PM »

I was tempted, having been at that gig, but I feel its overpriced... Maybe if I see it reduced sometime...

Flobbadob!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #825 on: March 12, 2023, 04:14:10 PM »

I love that Hummingbird album. They got sort of overlooked at Cropredy but I thought they were great.

Today I shall mostly be listening to the new album by The Long Ryders, September November and an old album by Colin MacIntyre, Island.

I didn't know there was a new album.  How is it? Psychedelic Country Soul was a nice surprise for me - I doubted they could come up with anything as good as they had produced back in the 80s, but I was happy to be proved wrong!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #826 on: March 12, 2023, 04:48:07 PM »

VdGG - The Bath Forum Concert

I don't really understand why (I suppose it's Peter's vocals though?) but people are never so-so about Van der Graaf are they?  Anyway the new live album from last year's Bath concert is now out and it is....utterly brilliant of course.  The visual (a DVD and Blu-Ray are included) does actually add to the audio for once.  Watching Hugh is mesmerising (but then you could say the same about Peter and Guy).

I'll be honest and say it's badly overpriced though.  One disc  (either DVD or Blu-Ray) is superfluous for absolutely everybody so making one pay £40 for 4 discs when one only wants 3 is annoying to say the least, but hey the recent box sets have been cheap as chips so...  It's also streaming, so give yourself an hour and three quarters, sit down and make yourself a nice hot drink and join in the fun.

I'm just about to pop the blu-ray into the player. We were front row for this and they did a lot of camera sweeps of the audince so I expect I might appear in this occasionally, but don't let that put you off!

According to Stephen Tayler the band have put some of their own money into this, so I don't really begrudge paying a bit over the odds, but I do agree about this habit of duplicating content on different formats. The upcoming Wishone Ash Argus box set is even worse, the album on both vinyl and CD, a couple of live shows on CD and then a selection of tracks from the two on vinyl. Just looks like an excuse to bloat the price up to an eye-watering £125. As much as I'd like the live material and the demos I don't think I'll be investing.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #827 on: March 12, 2023, 04:58:18 PM »

I didn't know there was a new album.  How is it? Psychedelic Country Soul was a nice surprise for me - I doubted they could come up with anything as good as they had produced back in the 80s, but I was happy to be proved wrong!

I've only played it a couple of times so far and it's fine. Initial impression is that it may not be quite as consistent as PCS but it's a close run thing. First without Tom Stevens since his death two years ago, big boots to fill but they've done well to cover his absence. Looking forward to the tour in May.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #828 on: March 13, 2023, 11:35:49 AM »

Something reminded me of it this morning, and so I have been listening to a recording of the 2009 Barbican Fairport extravaganza, and reminding myself of what a wonderful evening that was.  I even went back to the old threads about it on here, and all that was being said in the run-up, and afterwards too.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #829 on: March 13, 2023, 01:14:28 PM »

Something reminded me of it this morning, and so I have been listening to a recording of the 2009 Barbican Fairport extravaganza, and reminding myself of what a wonderful evening that was.  I even went back to the old threads about it on here, and all that was being said in the run-up, and afterwards too.

Now that was a wonderful night ; I'm sure the participants on stage thought so too !
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #830 on: March 13, 2023, 03:07:38 PM »

I've only played it a couple of times so far and it's fine. Initial impression is that it may not be quite as consistent as PCS but it's a close run thing. First without Tom Stevens since his death two years ago, big boots to fill but they've done well to cover his absence. Looking forward to the tour in May.

Yes, I agree with that though I need to give it a few more listens. There are some songs that were instantly appealing. It rocks less hard than the Ryders of old. Perhaps that is inevitable but still entirely pleasurable.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #831 on: March 13, 2023, 05:28:43 PM »

Now that was a wonderful night ; I'm sure the participants on stage thought so too !

One of my favourite ever gigs.  Although it was disappointing that Swarb had a hissy fit, it was almost certainly better because Chris was deputising.  My very favourite moment of it was Jude jumping out of her skin when Tyger plugged in.  I swear she leapt 2 feet into the air!  Love it.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #832 on: March 14, 2023, 09:40:49 AM »

Various albums from Melissa Etheridge's  catalogue.

PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #833 on: March 14, 2023, 04:10:35 PM »

Nudged by the recent release of a 4CD set of Haircut 100's "Pelican West" album, but not wishing to invest £35 or more, I ordered the 2016 2CD deluxe edition for about 1/3 of the price.  

The original (LP) album + 4 bonus tracks on CD1, and 13 remixes and extended versions on CD2.  Great (original) production by Bob (the Beat) Sergeant, and apparently remastered for this release - but no credits I can find - it sounds superb.  The non-singles tracks are much jazzier than I'd expected, too - which is a pleasant surprise.  Uplifting pop music - and nowt wrong with that!

Flobbadob!
Peter Allen

« Reply #834 on: March 14, 2023, 05:08:18 PM »

I really enjoyed the original Pelican West CD in the car in summer months , fewer arguments with the family than with say Nico and her harmonium

I used to struggle with Van the man , but once he did that single with Cliff , well , if he's a mate of Cliff's , load up the auto changer

Now if Nico and Cliff had got together ..
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #835 on: March 18, 2023, 05:42:17 PM »

Iris DeMent’s latest – ‘Workin’ On a World.  Superb stuff.

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #836 on: March 20, 2023, 09:08:48 AM »

Roy Harper  Man and Myth  (Bella Union 2LP,  2013).

I bought this when it came out and gosh, has it really been 10 years?   Have I played it 10 times?  No more than that anyway.
But I think it's  a very fine album,  one of his best, up there with Stormcock.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #837 on: March 20, 2023, 02:01:42 PM »

Nudged by the recent release of a 4CD set of Haircut 100's "Pelican West" album, but not wishing to invest £35 or more, I ordered the 2016 2CD deluxe edition for about 1/3 of the price. 

The original (LP) album + 4 bonus tracks on CD1, and 13 remixes and extended versions on CD2.  Great (original) production by Bob (the Beat) Sergeant, and apparently remastered for this release - but no credits I can find - it sounds superb.  The non-singles tracks are much jazzier than I'd expected, too - which is a pleasant surprise.  Uplifting pop music - and nowt wrong with that!

Now I never expected Haircut 100 to appear in this thread!  I think I only know a couple of their songs (Fantastic Day, and Love Plus One), which are fun summery pop. Nick Heyward for Cropredy next year?! Wink

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #838 on: March 20, 2023, 03:53:14 PM »

The original (LP) album + 4 bonus tracks on CD1, and 13 remixes and extended versions on CD2.  Great (original) production by Bob (the Beat) Sergeant, and apparently remastered for this release - but no credits I can find - it sounds superb.  The non-singles tracks are much jazzier than I'd expected, too - which is a pleasant surprise.  Uplifting pop music - and nowt wrong with that!

Now I never expected Haircut 100 to appear in this thread!  I think I only know a couple of their songs (Fantastic Day, and Love Plus One), which are fun summery pop. Nick Heyward for Cropredy next year?! Wink
I had one of his albums back in the 80's and it was more jazz-funk than pop. Definitely summery music!  Cheesy Cool

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #839 on: March 22, 2023, 06:30:59 PM »

He would be good in a Nick Kershaw sort of way.
I can't imagine needing a box set, but I did pick up a 'free with the Daily Mule' copy of Pelican West a couple of years ago, and was reminded of a time when listening to Radio One was an enjoyable experience.

Well I never did..
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: