TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 07:30:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 191255 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #660 on: December 08, 2022, 12:36:33 PM »

Fields :   Contrasts  (Esoteric  CD, 2015).

People might like this because it's a Crimson related thing. I just got it because I rather like their sole  self titled album.
Contrasts comprises unreleased stuff.  Polite,
keyboard based prog.

I don't know why but I just laughed out loud at "polite"...

Never heard of them...but Sid Smith rates them I see... genuinely worth a listen?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #661 on: December 08, 2022, 03:33:45 PM »

I think so yes. The debut is the better album.  You can get both in a box from Cherry Red.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #662 on: December 08, 2022, 03:37:52 PM »

A Winter Union Live In Concert, picked up on the recent Bandcamp Friday.

I love that album, not least of all because I was at that show and it was wonderful. Really looking forward to seeing them next week.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #663 on: December 10, 2022, 09:55:46 AM »

Dave Cousins :  The Boy in the Sailor Suit  (2005 CD, Esoteric 2020 remaster).

This is a great solo effort from our Strawbs front man.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #664 on: December 10, 2022, 04:32:10 PM »

I managed to lay my hands on a cheap copy (vinyl) of A Christmas Present from The Albion Band. This is the Cathy Le Surf line up so not my favourite era but I am enjoying it so far, despite the occasional crackle. Much more ambitious than the modern Christmas Band material.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #665 on: December 11, 2022, 08:44:36 PM »

the cds which came with the new Crim box set. amazing stuff but especially love the live in Rio tracks with the audience sindgalong
I've not watched the film yet. that'll have to wait for when the present mMs C goes out Cheesy

The film is excellent - funny, moving, informative; the shorts and trailers are also well worth watching.  I'll be watching & listening in 5.1 tomorrow when MrsPT goes out. She's not a Crim fan. At all...

Flobbadob!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #666 on: December 12, 2022, 12:52:40 PM »

I managed to lay my hands on a cheap copy (vinyl) of A Christmas Present from The Albion Band. This is the Cathy Le Surf line up so not my favourite era but I am enjoying it so far, despite the occasional crackle. Much more ambitious than the modern Christmas Band material.

I have had that album for years, but still put it on most years, though it's my digitised copy of the LP now. There's a live album from the same line-up that came out on CD some years back too.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #667 on: December 12, 2022, 10:52:26 PM »

I have had that album for years, but still put it on most years, though it's my digitised copy of the LP now. There's a live album from the same line-up that came out on CD some years back too.

Yes I have had the live album since it came out but have never much liked it. As I say, not my favourite period of the Albions. I like the studio album though.

Today I have mostly been listening to The McGarrigle Christmas Hour.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #668 on: December 13, 2022, 11:05:10 AM »

I'm working my way through the Free Reed Midwinter box in the run-up to Christmas

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #669 on: December 13, 2022, 07:13:54 PM »

Joshua Burnell “Flowers Where The Horses Sleep”
After the announcement that he will be playing Cropredy, just reminding myself how good he is.
I think he will gain a lot of new fans.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #670 on: December 17, 2022, 03:28:47 PM »

You ask Alexa to play Merry Hell and you get bellowhead . For Cliffs sake!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #671 on: December 17, 2022, 08:59:23 PM »

You ask Alexa to play Merry Hell and you get bellowhead . For Cliffs sake!
Grin Grin

That has amused me

I’m listening to an awful singer at an awful Xmas do. This is a low point in a week of highs. Que sera sera!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #672 on: December 18, 2022, 11:19:28 AM »

David Bowie  :  Blackstar   (Sony CD, 2015).

I'm not the world's greatest Bowie fan - the early albums suit me. A friend left me this and it's my first hearing of it. My listening experience was much affected by both his death and the space between now and 1972, when I bought Zigyy Stardust.  The last whole Bowie album I heard was  Diamond Dogs.  I never got fully aboard the Bowie bus.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #673 on: December 18, 2022, 11:50:07 AM »

I'm not the world's greatest Bowie fan - the early albums suit me. A friend left me this and it's my first hearing of it. My listening experience was much affected by both his death and the space between now and 1972, when I bought Zigyy Stardust.  The last whole Bowie album I heard was  Diamond Dogs.  I never got fully aboard the Bowie bus.

I'm not a Bowie fan at all.  My regular listening doesn't go far beyond the Berlin trilogy and Scary Monsters (which I love) but I think The Next Day and Blackstar are fantastic works probably with more connections to the latter works of Scott Walker (?) than much that came before for Bowie.  There's a dissertation in there somewhere...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #674 on: December 18, 2022, 12:20:05 PM »

I'm not a Bowie fan at all.  My regular listening doesn't go far beyond the Berlin trilogy and Scary Monsters (which I love) but I think The Next Day and Blackstar are fantastic works probably with more connections to the latter works of Scott Walker (?) than much that came before for Bowie.  There's a dissertation in there somewhere...

Yes, I can hear that. A darkness and grandeur.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #675 on: December 20, 2022, 12:34:29 AM »

When I first listened to Blackstar, the day before Bowie died, there had been a lot of reviews talking about the jazz elements of the album and I was expecting possibly not to like it very much but I immediately felt that there was a diect line to Blackstar from the Berlin albums and I loved it straight away. Still do.

I saw somebody commenting the other day that they did not really like the album because there are no tunes on it. Are they nuts? I couldn't get I Can't Give Everything Away out of my head for days after first hearing it.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #676 on: December 20, 2022, 08:42:15 AM »

When I first listened to Blackstar, the day before Bowie died, there had been a lot of reviews talking about the jazz elements of the album and I was expecting possibly not to like it very much but I immediately felt that there was a diect line to Blackstar from the Berlin albums and I loved it straight away. Still do.

I saw somebody commenting the other day that they did not really like the album because there are no tunes on it. Are they nuts? I couldn't get I Can't Give Everything Away out of my head for days after first hearing it.

So true.  I too listened to it on release day (probably the first Bowie album I'd ever done that to) and loved it.  Was so strange to have that experience and then have the death announcement immediately after.

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #677 on: December 20, 2022, 09:40:49 AM »

Hudson Ford :  The A&M Albums  (Caroline 3CD box, 2017).
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #678 on: December 20, 2022, 03:46:58 PM »

Terry Hall - Home. Sad

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS