TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 12:09:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 190828 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #640 on: November 30, 2022, 10:58:03 AM »

I've always been underwhelmed...

...about pretty much everything, really.

Boom boom.  I'm actually a big fan of the first three, and have a soft spot for Moonlight Shadow... Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #641 on: November 30, 2022, 06:45:34 PM »

I've always been underwhelmed...

...about pretty much everything, really.

Boom boom.  I'm actually a big fan of the first three, and have a soft spot for Moonlight Shadow... Wink

First four and Moonlight Shadow for me.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #642 on: December 01, 2022, 10:06:27 AM »

Mike Oldfield  :  Return to Ommadawn  (Virgin CD, 2017).

Well, I like the first 3 too, but this us okay,c and has enough echoes if the original Ommadawn to make it enjoyable.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #643 on: December 01, 2022, 10:21:36 AM »

First listen to the new Albion Christmas Band which contains a rare Simon Nicol co-write but is oddly not really a Christmas album at all as it contains very little Christmas specific music, apart from a rendition of Joy To The World. It also repeats a track from Ashley's excellent winter themed album from a couple of years back. To be fair that is also a Christmas song.

Anyway, one I can listen to this far in advance of the holiday without feeling too guilty.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #644 on: December 02, 2022, 09:14:06 AM »

Mike Oldfield  :  Tubular Bells  III  (Virgin CD, 2001).

This one I really like. No pale imitation, no predictable reworking,
just a good record.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #645 on: December 03, 2022, 09:41:49 AM »

Mike Oldfield  :  Crises  (Mercury CD reissue, 2013).

I liked this and bought it back in the 80s.  This reissue has some interesting bonus material.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #646 on: December 03, 2022, 11:07:48 AM »

I liked this and bought it back in the 80s.  This reissue has some interesting bonus material.

That one has always been a real favourite of mine, ever since it came out. And you are right about the reissue, assuming you mean the deluxe box?

As for me, I am about to play Neil Young's Harvest, inspired by seeing the movie a couple of nights back.
Paul B

« Reply #647 on: December 03, 2022, 12:54:52 PM »

What's your view on the T Petty "Fillmore" box GubGub? (always interested in your opinion)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #648 on: December 03, 2022, 01:21:22 PM »

What's your view on the T Petty "Fillmore" box GubGub? (always interested in your opinion)

I have only had chance to listen once, just because of the size of the thing but it is hugely entertaining. Great to have so many new, previously unreleased songs albeit by way of cover versions and the band is on fire during these shows.

I read a comment on another forum that it loses momentum on disc 3 which features the guest turns from Roger McGuinn and John Lee Hooker and I sort of agree with that but it recovers spectacularly on disc 4.

The Live Anthology is still the definitive word on Tom's live performances but this is a good addition. I wouldn't have wanted to pay for it what  some of the UK retailers are asking so wait for a price drop if you can. I got a good deal from an EU retailer which brought it down to about £50 which I thought was just about acceptable for a 4 disc set.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #649 on: December 03, 2022, 03:12:48 PM »

That one has always been a real favourite of mine, ever since it came out. And you are right about the reissue, assuming you mean the deluxe box?

As for me, I am about to play Neil Young's Harvest, inspired by seeing the movie a couple of nights back.

No I just meant the stand  alone CD. Must check out the boxed set.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #650 on: December 03, 2022, 04:03:33 PM »

I have now moved on to Dark Horse Records - The Best of 1974 - 1977, an RSD release from last weekend that I have just picked up containing a selection of highlights from George Harrison's vanity label of the mid 70s. Diverse is, I think, the word.
Paul B

« Reply #651 on: December 03, 2022, 06:39:12 PM »

I have only had chance to listen once, just because of the size of the thing but it is hugely entertaining. Great to have so many new, previously unreleased songs albeit by way of cover versions and the band is on fire during these shows.

I read a comment on another forum that it loses momentum on disc 3 which features the guest turns from Roger McGuinn and John Lee Hooker and I sort of agree with that but it recovers spectacularly on disc 4.

The Live Anthology is still the definitive word on Tom's live performances but this is a good addition. I wouldn't have wanted to pay for it what  some of the UK retailers are asking so wait for a price drop if you can. I got a good deal from an EU retailer which brought it down to about £50 which I thought was just about acceptable for a 4 disc set.

Many thanks -sounds good. In most cases the box sets on offer are way overpriced -best recent example -Beach Boys -no way this is a £130+ item
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #652 on: December 03, 2022, 07:33:16 PM »

Many thanks -sounds good. In most cases the box sets on offer are way overpriced -best recent example -Beach Boys -no way this is a £130+ item
Nowhere near. It's still bloody good though.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #653 on: December 03, 2022, 10:23:30 PM »

Quite so. I have had to vote with my wallet on that one, much as I would like to have it. The Beatles Revolver was even more scandalous so I have boycotted that one too, the first Beatles set ever that I have not bought.

The forthcoming Dylan box is continuing the trend but I have bitten the bullet on that one, again via a much cheaper EU seller.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #654 on: December 05, 2022, 02:59:46 PM »

the cds which came with the new Crim box set. amazing stuff but especially love the live in Rio tracks with the audience sindgalong
I've not watched the film yet. that'll have to wait for when the present mMs C goes out Cheesy

The Dude abides
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #655 on: December 06, 2022, 09:55:37 AM »

No I just meant the stand  alone CD. Must check out the boxed set.

I bought the Super Deluxe Version - albeit just the downloads through iTunes - as I really liked the original, having bought it when it came out too.  The live concert is great.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #656 on: December 07, 2022, 08:39:50 PM »

the cds which came with the new Crim box set. amazing stuff but especially love the live in Rio tracks with the audience sindgalong
I've not watched the film yet. that'll have to wait for when the present mMs C goes out Cheesy

Just finished the film, it's all you would expect, funny in parts, thoughtful in parts, sad in parts esp Bill Reiflin RIP and Ian MacDonald but always wonderful music

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #657 on: December 08, 2022, 09:29:02 AM »

As always on this day of the year, John Lennon and the Beatles on shuffle.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #658 on: December 08, 2022, 09:48:24 AM »

A Winter Union Live In Concert, picked up on the recent Bandcamp Friday.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #659 on: December 08, 2022, 11:51:49 AM »

Fields :   Contrasts  (Esoteric  CD, 2015).

People might like this because it's a Crimson related thing. I just got it because I rather like their sole  self titled album.
Contrasts comprises unreleased stuff.  Polite,
keyboard based prog.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: