TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 11:47:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 190814 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #540 on: October 19, 2022, 08:44:42 AM »

So, I've been out drinking in Madrid with a group of youngsters from Chicago, Montreal and Boulder (Colorado). (youngsters compared to me at least. These are some of the salespeople from our company.)
I asked each the question "What music do you like?"

Adam : Dave Matthews Band
(what?!!!)
Jon : Red Hot Chilli Peppers
AJ : Amy Winehouse
(hmmm, OK)
Heather : Black Flag
(heavens!!!)
 Well, there's hope for at least some of these kids...

So now I'm relaxing, sobering up, and getting ready for tomorrow by listening to Meg Baird. And I recommend her to the house. "The Finder" from Seasons On Earth in particular.

Cheers

Nick

I had US Deadhead friends who tried to get me into the DMB.  Dull doesn't even cover it...it's just...nothing.  Black Flag pn the other hand is much more like it...

And yes, Meg is fab.  Saw her in Todmorden ages ago.  Have you heard her drumming work with Heron Oblivion?  And obviously everyone knows Espers, surely?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #541 on: October 19, 2022, 08:53:52 AM »

John Martyn  Live at the Town and Country club, 1986. (2001).

This is an expanded CD edition of Foundations, an Island release from 1986. It found its way onto One World, a JM 'collectors' label. It's one of Big John's better live releases.

Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #542 on: October 19, 2022, 09:32:25 AM »

So, I've been out drinking in Madrid with a group of youngsters from Chicago, Montreal and Boulder (Colorado). (youngsters compared to me at least. These are some of the salespeople from our company.)
I asked each the question "What music do you like?"

Adam : Dave Matthews Band
(what?!!!)
Jon : Red Hot Chilli Peppers
AJ : Amy Winehouse
(hmmm, OK)
Heather : Black Flag
(heavens!!!)
 Well, there's hope for at least some of these kids...

So now I'm relaxing, sobering up, and getting ready for tomorrow by listening to Meg Baird. And I recommend her to the house. "The Finder" from Seasons On Earth in particular.

Cheers

Nick

I had US Deadhead friends who tried to get me into the DMB.  Dull doesn't even cover it...it's just...nothing.  Black Flag pn the other hand is much more like it...

And yes, Meg is fab.  Saw her in Todmorden ages ago.  Have you heard her drumming work with Heron Oblivion?  And obviously everyone knows Espers, surely?

In fact Meg has a new album out early next year - there's a preview track here:  https://megbaird.bandcamp.com/album/furling

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #543 on: October 19, 2022, 02:32:25 PM »

The Unthanks : Sorrows Away
After just a couple of listens, I’m thinking this may be their best yet, and that is a pretty high bar.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #544 on: October 19, 2022, 10:55:52 PM »

This is an expanded CD edition of Foundations, an Island release from 1986. It found its way onto One World, a JM 'collectors' label. It's one of Big John's better live releases.

Seen this, Alan?  An expanded edition of The Apprentice.  It looks interesting to me, particularly the DVD of the concert with David Gilmour
https://johnmartyn.com/

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #545 on: October 20, 2022, 07:50:12 PM »

Seen this, Alan?  An expanded edition of The Apprentice.  It looks interesting to me, particularly the DVD of the concert with David Gilmour
https://johnmartyn.com/

Yes Ian,  I read about it.   My only reservation is it includes a DVD, and I dont have any DVDs  or a player. There seems something wrong about buying something in a format I dont use  though I appreciate this may seem illogical.    Good to see JMs back catalogue getting some attention,  though.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #546 on: October 21, 2022, 05:55:21 PM »

Electric Prunes - Release of an Oath and Just Good Old Rock and Roll. I love the original Prunes but have never heard these two later efforts until today. This was the point at which all the original band had quit due to disagreements over musical direction with their manager and record company, but as the manager owned the rights to the name he felt it would be a good idea to put a completely new band together. They managed these two albums before calling it a day. They're both absolutely dreadful.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #547 on: October 24, 2022, 11:58:55 AM »

DMB were all over the airwaves when I lived in USA in the '90s, but nobody this side of the Atlantic ever so much as mentioned them. Probably for the best. I concur; it's just...nothing.

It was a refreshing surprise to hear mention of Henry Rollins and the US Hardcore scene in general though.

Espers were where I found Meg initially. Not heard of Heron Oblivion though. There's a thing to do when I have a spare moment.

Meanwhile, catching up with what arrived while I was away. So mostly listening to Rachael Dadd's new album, Kaleidoscope. Very nice. Recommended for fans of This Is The Kit, Rosi Plain and etc.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #548 on: October 24, 2022, 12:08:15 PM »

Best of the 20th Century Boy - Marc Bolan & T Rex

I am generally of the opinion that there was less to Bolan than met the eye but this double vinyl compilation from 1985, extraordinarily on K-Tel records covers all of the essentials and sounds great. I have digital versions of some of this stuff so probably haven't played the album for more than 30 years.

The joy of retirement affording the time for vinyl days.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #549 on: October 24, 2022, 12:11:25 PM »

Despite being a massive early Genesis fan, I have never looked out Anthony Phillips solo work. So that is what I am doing today.

The Geese & The Ghost
Wise After the Event
Private Parts & Pieces
Sides

... will be enough for today. Like what I'm hearing so far, but he doesn't grab me like Steve Hackett  Shocked

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #550 on: October 24, 2022, 05:05:32 PM »

... oo-er, missus! Grin

Flobbadob!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #551 on: October 24, 2022, 07:41:08 PM »

... oo-er, missus! Grin
 Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #552 on: October 26, 2022, 09:37:13 AM »

Found a copy of The Waterboys Universal Hall for the princely sum of £1 yesterday, so that's what I'm listening to right now.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #553 on: October 26, 2022, 11:43:37 AM »

Found a copy of The Waterboys Universal Hall for the princely sum of £1 yesterday, so that's what I'm listening to right now.

Bargain! That record means a lot to me. It was a huge favourite of Gill, my late partner. I saw the band do several gigs around this time where they played many of these songs live. A special time.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #554 on: October 26, 2022, 11:47:16 AM »

Bargain! That record means a lot to me. It was a huge favourite of Gill, my late partner. I saw the band do several gigs around this time where they played many of these songs live. A special time.

Jules

I'm a big fan of that one too...it has a very 'spiritual' vibe to it (hardly surprising, really).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
sliprigilio (Al)
my it's should be its

Loc: Cornwall

« Reply #555 on: October 27, 2022, 04:49:16 PM »

Flash:  Out of Our Hands

Picked up an original vinyl copy of this the other week in an excellent record shop in Bridport  (Clocktower) along with Zappa's 'Orchestral favourites', Stanley Clarke's 'School Days' etc.

Rather enjoying this 'old-school' prog from '73.  Vey early Yes-ish (as you would expect as it's Peter Banks on guitar).  not so keen on the vocals but instrumentally it's fine.

First time I've ever heard Flash - even though I remember the album covers (as you do as a spotty youth... Roll Eyes

What do other prog-heads think of them?  Bridgwit - are you familiar ?? (Oooh aahh!)  Roll Eyes

Cheers,

Slippy

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #556 on: October 28, 2022, 07:42:26 AM »

Picked up an original vinyl copy of this the other week in an excellent record shop in Bridport  (Clocktower) along with Zappa's 'Orchestral favourites', Stanley Clarke's 'School Days' etc.

Rather enjoying this 'old-school' prog from '73.  Vey early Yes-ish (as you would expect as it's Peter Banks on guitar).  not so keen on the vocals but instrumentally it's fine.

First time I've ever heard Flash - even though I remember the album covers (as you do as a spotty youth... Roll Eyes

What do other prog-heads think of them?  Bridgwit - are you familiar ?? (Oooh aahh!)  Roll Eyes

Cheers,

Slippy

I saw them , it must have been in 1972. Thats all I can remember of them!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #557 on: October 28, 2022, 09:03:01 AM »

Cheers,

Slippy

I have the debut album on vinyl-  Friday Music reissue.

I like it,  and see it as a nice appendix to the early Yes albums, which are the only ones I really like. 'Small Beginnings ' is a good shot of fast, antidepressant prog.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #558 on: October 28, 2022, 01:50:45 PM »

The new album by The Proclaimers - Dentures Out purchased this morning at my local HMV. Also picked up a copy of Hugh Cornwell's Moments of Madness.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #559 on: October 28, 2022, 02:25:59 PM »

Gorky's day today, I think.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: