TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 10:58:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 190776 times)
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #520 on: October 15, 2022, 05:40:34 PM »

The Soundcarriers - Wilds
The Clientele - Strange Geometry
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #521 on: October 15, 2022, 08:57:20 PM »

Dawes - Misadventures of Doomscroller.  They are stretching their wings here on longer-form songs than they have been used to in the past, but still to good effect.

Loving it. I think it gets a bit Camel at times. The pre-release live run through on YouTube was amazing.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #522 on: October 15, 2022, 09:05:13 PM »

Dawes - Misadventures of Doomscroller.  They are stretching their wings here on longer-form songs than they have been used to in the past, but still to good effect.

Loving it. I think it gets a bit Camel at times. The pre-release live run through on YouTube was amazing.

Another band I have literally never even heard of.  I used to pride myself on keeping abreast of things even if I didn't proactively like them...now I discover bands that have been around for 15 years I've never heard of every single day.  Is there any reason at all for me to investigate - being a bit Camel makes my ears prick up at least?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #523 on: October 15, 2022, 09:35:18 PM »

Another band I have literally never even heard of.  I used to pride myself on keeping abreast of things even if I didn't proactively like them...now I discover bands that have been around for 15 years I've never heard of every single day.  Is there any reason at all for me to investigate - being a bit Camel makes my ears prick up at least?

I discovered them through Gilmore & Roberts who regularly play their song A Little Bit of Everything live.
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #524 on: October 15, 2022, 11:57:18 PM »

Worth having a look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCnnS4lFOsg&ab_channel=Timbohaa
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #525 on: October 16, 2022, 10:03:21 AM »

Worth having a look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCnnS4lFOsg&ab_channel=Timbohaa

That's a bit of alright for sure...I suppose I may have seen that back in the day possibly.... Oh I do wish Richard did more of that regularly.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #526 on: October 16, 2022, 10:56:01 AM »

They were Jackson Browne’s backing band for a while, then Jonathon Wilson’s, Jason Isbell’s, even John Fogerty’s on one tour so if any of those names mean anything to you, it’s probably worth dipping a toe in the water. The first three albums run the whole Laurel Canyon gamut, IMHO the next three LPs miss the mark a little for various reasons, but the latest - Doomscroller - really hits the spot.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #527 on: October 16, 2022, 11:00:47 AM »

Sproatly Smith - "River Wye Suite"

I guess that while a few of us here are long-time fans, most people won't know this artist - but if you did fancy taking a dip in the river (!), this would be a good place to start. In fact it's almost a summary in itself of much of his previous music as he uses again techniques of field-recordings, voice commentaries, pre-war music and occasional electronics to bolster the melodic, folk-oriented singing and instrumentation. It's primarily relaxed and relaxing music, and if I do have a criticism it's that it very occasionally sounds like a mindfulness exercise tape  Grin, but for the most part it's a life-affirming joy, just like the River Wye itself. Almost certainly my favourite album of the year, along with R.J. Mackendree's "Wallflower"  Smiley

https://sproatlysmith.bandcamp.com/

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #528 on: October 16, 2022, 11:50:15 AM »

Sproatly Smith - "River Wye Suite"

I guess that while a few of us here are long-time fans, most people won't know this artist - but if you did fancy taking a dip in the river (!), this would be a good place to start. In fact it's almost a summary in itself of much of his previous music as he uses again techniques of field-recordings, voice commentaries, pre-war music and occasional electronics to bolster the melodic, folk-oriented singing and instrumentation. It's primarily relaxed and relaxing music, and if I do have a criticism it's that it very occasionally sounds like a mindfulness exercise tape  Grin, but for the most part it's a life-affirming joy, just like the River Wye itself. Almost certainly my favourite album of the year, along with R.J. Mackendree's "Wallflower"  Smiley

https://sproatlysmith.bandcamp.com/

I think it's worth stating they're a band and not an individual...and there is one moment in particular on the album that rocks out like a good 'un....  In any normal world this band, like many others, would have a decent sized following and make a living out of it, but instead their music costs them money, which is crazy.  Far too good to be ignored.

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #529 on: October 16, 2022, 05:22:27 PM »

They were Jackson Browne’s backing band for a while, then Jonathon Wilson’s, Jason Isbell’s, even John Fogerty’s on one tour so if any of those names mean anything to you, it’s probably worth dipping a toe in the water. The first three albums run the whole Laurel Canyon gamut, IMHO the next three LPs miss the mark a little for various reasons, but the latest - Doomscroller - really hits the spot.
They have also backed Conor Oberst. I saw them at Shrewsbury, they were augmented by Duane Betts, son of Dickie and named after Duane Allman. They were excellent.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #530 on: October 16, 2022, 07:17:54 PM »

They have also backed Conor Oberst. I saw them at Shrewsbury, they were augmented by Duane Betts, son of Dickie and named after Duane Allman. They were excellent.

Wasn't he in a band with Chris (son of) Stills at one point?  Might have imagined that...

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #531 on: October 17, 2022, 09:21:01 AM »

John Martyn  :  Inside Out  (Island remastered CD, 2005).

I haven't listened to this in a while,   feeling I exhausted it b
ack in the 70s.    

It's as off -the -wall as ever. Inspired, stoned, spontaneous.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #532 on: October 17, 2022, 06:42:21 PM »

Can't imagine how you haven't heard of Dawes. I'm sure Skirky and I (at least) have championed them on here for a number of years.

Phil Beer has covered their All Your Favorite Bands as well. Another thumbs up from one as knows.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #533 on: October 17, 2022, 06:52:33 PM »

Can't imagine how you haven't heard of Dawes. I'm sure Skirky and I (at least) have championed them on here for a number of years.

Phil Beer has covered their All Your Favorite Bands as well. Another thumbs up from one as knows.

By ignoring you and Skirky?  It's easy if you try...  Wink Grin

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #534 on: October 17, 2022, 08:00:02 PM »

Wink

By ignoring you and Skirky?  It's easy if you try...  Wink Grin

I'm hurt... Wink  But I suppose better that than you argue with us and never talk to us again!  Grin

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #535 on: October 17, 2022, 08:46:43 PM »

I mean…the very idea…  Grin

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #536 on: October 17, 2022, 08:52:39 PM »

I mean…the very idea…  Grin

Snigger.  No, seriously, they've never entered my conscious memory - although that's obviously shrinking by the minute!

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #537 on: October 17, 2022, 10:56:35 PM »

I've liked Dawes for quite a while but honestly cant recall anyone else mentioning them on here.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #538 on: October 18, 2022, 10:15:56 AM »

A compilation set of CDs called Peephole in my Brain - The British Progressive Pop Sounds of 1971, which is so far up my street it's built a 4-bed detached with hot tub and garden office!  Cheesy

I've not even heard of most of these but I love it   Smiley

Track listings:

DISC ONE

1. ANDY WARHOL (original 1971 demo album version) – Dana Gillespie
2. STRANGER IN BLUE SUEDE SHOES – Kevin Ayers
3. HEY WILLY – The Hollies
4. MR. MIDDLETON’S LAMENT –Corn & Seed Merchants
5. DEAREST ELOISE – Stray
6. DEBORAH – Help Yourself
7. DORA, THE FEMALE EXPLORER – Stackridge
8. URSULA (THE SWANSEA SONG) – Barclay James Harvest
9. MORE RAIN – Samurai
10. GOODBYE POST OFFICE TOWER GOODBYE – Cressida
11. TONIGHT – The Move
12. DOWN SMOKEY LANE – Fickle Pickle
13. WOMAN – Shape Of The Rain
14. GOING BACK HOME – Unicorn
15. CASTLE ON THE HILL – The Factory
16. TIME FOR THE LEAVING – Magna Carta
17. I FEEL LIKE SLEEPING – Legend
18. INDIAN QUEENS – Michael Chapman
19. HOTEL ROOM – Edgar Broughton Band
20. SAFARI – Peter Cowap
21. JENNIFER – Cliff Wade
22. OLD PEOPLE’S HOME – Deep Feeling
23. HIROSHIMA – Wishful Thinking

DISC TWO

1. SUGAR SUGAR – Sakkarin
2. BACKSTREET LUV – Curved Air
3. MEMORIAL DRIVE – Procol Harum
4. OH CAROL I’M SO SAD – Rockin’ Horse
5. TO EACH AND EVERYONE – Gerry Rafferty
6. CAROLINE GOODBYE – Colin Blunstone
7. MAISIE JONES – Nimbo
8. HANGIN’ ON AN EYELID – Second Hand
9. I WAS FOOLING – Zior
10. MRS. SPEED – Fusion Farm
11. WATERWHEEL – Open Road
12. ANNIVERSARY – Ray Fenwick
13. MISTER WESTWOOD – Pluto
14. FRIGHTENED – Bear Foot
15. WEATHER OR NOT – Bronx Cheer
16. TALKING TO THE FLOWERS – Rick Price
17. FERRIS STREET – Beau
18. SOUTHBOUND LANE – Brett Marvin & The Thunderbolts
19. THE FLYING MACHINES – Don Crown & His Busking Budgies
20. BILLY’S GOTTA RUN – The Doggs
21. LOVE’S A WAY – Bill Nelson
22. WHILE THE SUN STILL SHNES – Fields
23. THE SADDEST DAY OF MY LIFE – Nirvana
24. ARE YOU READY EDDY? – Emerson Lake & Palmer

DISC THREE

1. MEAN GIRL (early mix) – Status Quo
2. DEVIL’S ANSWER (single version) – Atomic Rooster
3. ROCK’N’ROLL WEDDING – Sweeny Bean
4. (AND THE) PICTURES IN THE SKY – Medicine Head
5. GOD’S CHILDREN – The Kinks
6. THIS TIME TOMORROW – Airbus
7. SUMMER – Octopus
8. SEPHERYN – Curtiss Maldoon
9. I DON’T CARE – Blonde On Blonde
10. SUNLIGHT GATE – Pete Atkin
11. DANGLING IN THE COOL* – Montage
12. TOKOLOSHE MAN (single edit) – John Kongos
13. STRANGE LOCOMOTION – Siren
14. MISTER TEN PER CENT – The Red Sox
15. WHERE I BELONG – Knocker Jungle
16. IT DON’T COME EASY * – Wil Malone
17. ETERNAL MESSENGER (single version) – Kingdom Come
18. ENCOUNTER – Edwards Hand
19. SO BE IT* – Lifeblud
20. GRANDFATHER – Dear Mr. Time
21. HOBO – Bullet
22. TURNING GREEN (album version) – Jackie McAuley
23. SEA SIDE SHUFFLE – Terry Dactyl & The Dinosaurs
24. BILL BAILEY – Phase 3

The Shape of the Rain album Riley Riley Wood & Waggett is a classic, a Rockfield special.

If I have a favourite year for music, this is it. I won't go on about omissions. Well okay then, Family for a start. And The Strawbs.
 But still, it was a year of many fine, diverse groups and artists. Nice to see Pete Atkin represented there.

Probably my favourite year too.
I make compilation CD's for the car made up of tracks from individual years, and 71 is the only year that has two triple disc sets.
And there are only four tracks on this collection on those.
A bumper year for sure.

Well I never did..
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #539 on: October 19, 2022, 01:40:41 AM »

So, I've been out drinking in Madrid with a group of youngsters from Chicago, Montreal and Boulder (Colorado). (youngsters compared to me at least. These are some of the salespeople from our company.)
I asked each the question "What music do you like?"

Adam : Dave Matthews Band
(what?!!!)
Jon : Red Hot Chilli Peppers
AJ : Amy Winehouse
(hmmm, OK)
Heather : Black Flag
(heavens!!!)
 Well, there's hope for at least some of these kids...

So now I'm relaxing, sobering up, and getting ready for tomorrow by listening to Meg Baird. And I recommend her to the house. "The Finder" from Seasons On Earth in particular.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: