TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 30, 2024, 08:26:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 191312 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #480 on: October 11, 2022, 12:15:08 AM »

I think about four tracks are different and the order has been changed, no idea why though.

Revisionism. Sometimes, but not always, a bad thing. It is often tempting for an artist to fiddle with things when reissue time comes along. They often want the chance to set things right which they weren't happy with the first time around.
Nilsson re-recorded and remixed parts of many of his songs when a compilation of his first two LPs was released in 1971.
Grateful Dead likewise remixed two of their late 60s LPs in the early 70s.
The surviving Beatles oversaw the release of Let It Be... Naked which rejigged the contents of the original Let It Be, and there have obviously been many successful Beatles remix projects since.
More recently, R.E.M. issued a remixed version of Monster (with only partial success, in my opinion).
Kevin Rowland revised Don't Stand Me Down twice (wherein it gained an extra song or two) and now a remixed Too-Rye-Ay is set for release.
Taylor Swift has also been remaking whole albums, in order to do them her own way.  There are many, many other examples.
I quite enjoy comparing and contrasting these revisions.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #481 on: October 11, 2022, 08:47:44 AM »

I think about four tracks are different and the order has been changed, no idea why though.

Revisionism. Sometimes, but not always, a bad thing. It is often tempting for an artist to fiddle with things when reissue time comes along. They often want the chance to set things right which they weren't happy with the first time around.
Nilsson re-recorded and remixed parts of many of his songs when a compilation of his first two LPs was released in 1971.
Grateful Dead likewise remixed two of their late 60s LPs in the early 70s.
The surviving Beatles oversaw the release of Let It Be... Naked which rejigged the contents of the original Let It Be, and there have obviously been many successful Beatles remix projects since.
More recently, R.E.M. issued a remixed version of Monster (with only partial success, in my opinion).
Kevin Rowland revised Don't Stand Me Down twice (wherein it gained an extra song or two) and now a remixed Too-Rye-Ay is set for release.
Taylor Swift has also been remaking whole albums, in order to do them her own way.  There are many, many other examples.
I quite enjoy comparing and contrasting these revisions.

Jules

The Taylor situation is slightly different, isn't it...it's not (at least originally) for artistic reasons at all...it's entirely down to legally trying to reclaim those works from the clutches of what she regards (probably correctly) as coercive managerial/financial control.

You're right though - "sometimes, but not always, a bad thing."  I think that's correct. I might go so far as to change the sometimes for a normally

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #482 on: October 11, 2022, 09:45:10 AM »

And,according to yesterday's press, Mike Batt has trashed all the original Wombles tapes to prevent them being altered in any way.
Still haven't decided whether this is good or bad........
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #483 on: October 11, 2022, 10:53:57 AM »

And,according to yesterday's press, Mike Batt has trashed all the original Wombles tapes to prevent them being altered in any way.
Still haven't decided whether this is good or bad........

Rather than trash them, I hope he took them to Tobermory to repurpose in some way.

Jules

Sue & Chris

« Reply #484 on: October 11, 2022, 11:04:12 AM »

'Soft Spot' - new album by The California Honeydrops. Very nice.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #485 on: October 11, 2022, 12:10:29 PM »

Been listening to Steeleye Span's 'Tempted and Tried' this morning. A little gem of an album, with not a dud anywhere to be found in its track listing.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #486 on: October 11, 2022, 12:31:36 PM »

A friend of mine has sent me a Jon Boden CD. I know the name from these very pages, but have never heard a note. I hope I'm in for a treat.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #487 on: October 11, 2022, 12:46:58 PM »

A friend of mine has sent me a Jon Boden CD. I know the name from these very pages, but have never heard a note. I hope I'm in for a treat.

Jules

You'll be telling me you've never heard any Bellowhead next...

Which album...Songs from the Floodplain is my favourite.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #488 on: October 11, 2022, 01:12:11 PM »

Jules

Mine too. Interested to hear what Jules thinks of him!  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #489 on: October 11, 2022, 01:17:58 PM »

David, I haven't heard any Bellowhead. Well, maybe a track in passing, years ago.

It's called Painted Lady. His first solo record, according to Wiki.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #490 on: October 11, 2022, 01:26:07 PM »

David, I haven't heard any Bellowhead. Well, maybe a track in passing, years ago.

Jules

I once went out with a girl where the final row was about whether she'd heard any Moody Blues or not.  I insisted she would have done.  She was getting furious with me for telling her what she'd heard or not.  I then went and got said Moody Blues track she would have heard, played it and she said "Oh, well, I've obviously heard that one, but definitely nothing else".  My bags were packed...  Wink Grin

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #491 on: October 11, 2022, 03:10:18 PM »

I once went out with a girl where the final row was about whether she'd heard any Moody Blues or not.  I insisted she would have done.  She was getting furious with me for telling her what she'd heard or not.  I then went and got said Moody Blues track she would have heard, played it and she said "Oh, well, I've obviously heard that one, but definitely nothing else".  My bags were packed...  Wink Grin

Blimey, I've weathered far more contentious storms than that without so much as slamming the door.

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #492 on: October 11, 2022, 07:43:53 PM »

Interested to hear what Jules thinks of him!  Smiley

I like it. It sounds nothing like I was expecting, and I didn't even know what I was expecting. It sounds more contemporary with more elements of Americana than I thought it would have, I guess. Beefy production. Hints of Tom Waits in there, yet there's also some folk too.

Not sure if it'll get many plays, but I'm enjoying it this time around.

Jules

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #493 on: October 11, 2022, 07:49:03 PM »

Jules

I bought it from a charity shop for 25 p before I'd heard of him or the dreaded. Didn't get half way through. Good job I don't smoke.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #494 on: October 11, 2022, 10:42:39 PM »

I like it. It sounds nothing like I was expecting, and I didn't even know what I was expecting. It sounds more contemporary with more elements of Americana than I thought it would have, I guess. Beefy production. Hints of Tom Waits in there, yet there's also some folk too.

Jules

He is one of those artists who I just can't get past his voice. As someone who would happily listen to Bob Dylan croak the phone book I appreciate the problem is very much with me and not with Mr Boden but every time I hear him he sounds like Withnail to me and I expect him to lament having gone on holiday by mistake.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #495 on: October 11, 2022, 11:32:39 PM »

Been listening to Steeleye Span's 'Tempted and Tried' this morning. A little gem of an album, with not a dud anywhere to be found in its track listing.

The first time I saw them in concert was on the Tempted & Tried tour. They played a very quiet (maybe a third full) Oxford Apollo. They didn't let the sparse crowd put them off though. They were excellent. Turned me into a fan. Happily, they regained their audience as the Nineties wore on. When I saw them at The Apollo on the Time tour, it was heaving.

Bought the album on the merchandise stall and still play it fairly regularly. As you say, a little gem.
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #496 on: October 12, 2022, 01:33:43 AM »

Jules

It's got one of my favorite songs by him: 'Josephine'.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #497 on: October 12, 2022, 10:12:48 AM »

Jules

Painted Lady is Ok but, as others have said, his voice can be challenging to listen to for extended periods. At least with Bellowhead there are instrumentals! I'm still hugely looking forward to seeing them in November  Tongue

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #498 on: October 12, 2022, 02:23:31 PM »

Jules

Painted Lady is ok, but not particularly special - Jon's 'Pop Star' album. I remember joking with Squeezy that every folkie is duty bound to release a pop star album at some time.

Then Jon wrote Songs From The Floodplain.

It was a bit like following Radiohead from Pablo Honey to OK Computer.

Meanwhile, I'm listening to Thea Gilmore - Recorded Delivery at the moment, with Regardless lined up to follow.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #499 on: October 12, 2022, 02:37:27 PM »

Painted Lady is ok, but not particularly special - Jon's 'Pop Star' album. I remember joking with Squeezy that every folkie is duty bound to release a pop star album at some time.

Then Jon wrote Songs From The Floodplain.

It was a bit like following Radiohead from Pablo Honey to OK Computer.

Totally agree with Nick here... it's a real "what the hell happened there" transition...

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: