TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:38:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2022  (Read 64551 times)
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #360 on: August 27, 2022, 08:30:08 AM »

Do we know, how many tickets were actually sold for this year including the carry-overs? We thought the walkways by the stalls remained fairly quiet and there was never that massive squash between acts which usually happens up the sides, especially on Saturdays.

Seeing a couple of photos we took of each other, the side walkways are empty on those, too.

The weather could have meant people came in and out more between getting shelter, but I wondered if numbers were lower anyway.
andrew c

Loc: Leicester

« Reply #361 on: August 27, 2022, 08:55:42 PM »

We were sheltering by the side of a crew tent on Friday afternoon and the crewman we chatted to said he was in charge of site wristbands and tickets. I asked him how many tickets had been sold and he replied 18000 to 19000 with a lot of people coming for the Saturday, very happy with the attendance for this year's festival.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #362 on: August 27, 2022, 09:44:09 PM »

We were sheltering by the side of a crew tent on Friday afternoon and the crewman we chatted to said he was in charge of site wristbands and tickets. I asked him how many tickets had been sold and he replied 18000 to 19000 with a lot of people coming for the Saturday, very happy with the attendance for this year's festival.

That’s good, maybe they were just round and about in different patterns due to the heat.
Tertonmike

Loc: Dublin

Still At It...

« Reply #363 on: August 28, 2022, 10:15:11 AM »

Only recovering from the trauma now, so more than a bit belated, but many thanks to the kind folk on Field 7B, who tried to get the idiots in the motionless red Alfa started on Sunday morning.  People provided jump leads, WD40, toolboxes and advice.  Unfortunately, despite the car having been recently serviced, a tiny, unregarded but vital part (the crankshaft motion sensor, which NEVER fails - the AA man who eventually fixed it said he hadn't had to fit a new one in 15 years in the job)........failed!   No parts available on a Sunday so we had to stay over and re-book our ferry home.   BUT all got sorted Monday morning, no further trouble and only 24 hours late arriving back at base.   Didn't spoil a great - if slightly sweaty - weekend, and reinforced what we all know about the sense of community and support we are all used to from fellow Cropheads.   Thanks again to everyone who helped.  

"Music is the antidote
To the world of pain and sorrow"
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #364 on: August 28, 2022, 11:06:51 AM »

Hi Mike, great to see yous got there and back ok. It reminds me to give a big shout out to Tyre Pros in Banbury. Saturday morning i noticed one of my brand new tyres was half flat. Knowing that if i didn't get it fixed on Saturday I'd be stuck for an extra day, I  googled, found Pro Tyres and called them. They told me to come straight in, so I  did (pumped up the tyre enough to drive). I was dreading what kind of money I'd  be charged that might have seriously dented my Cropredy budget.
Anyway, they identified a small fault in the valve and quickly fixed it. While they were at it they read and reset the annoying orange engine light I'd had for 2 days.

And the price for their time and service was...nothing! Of course i gratefully contributed to their weekend beer fund, happy in the knowledge that the spirit of Cropredy is alive in Banbury...

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Tertonmike

Loc: Dublin

Still At It...

« Reply #365 on: August 28, 2022, 02:00:20 PM »

Hi Stephen, kept an eye out for you but missed you on the field this year!  We were in our usual position midway between mixing tent and bar.  No mechanical problems can keep any of us from our goal!

"Music is the antidote
To the world of pain and sorrow"
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #366 on: August 28, 2022, 02:33:01 PM »

Hi Mike, glad to know we all got there and back safe. Team Ireland did good this year, on and off the stage...

Ps, its Tyre Pros, not Pro Tyres

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
gordon
Tankard ? Definitely !
n3wb

« Reply #367 on: August 30, 2022, 05:27:22 AM »

They (Fairports) 'headlined' Wickham in 2021. Timely question as to whether Cropredy Festval survives or dies because of, or despite them. WKWTTG's indeed ! Gutted to read that this year's set may have been noticeably tetchy towards the end, but their touring set as a 5 piece has been going off the boil for some years now, imho; SN has commonly stated that the audience would not let them off the stage unless they do 'Matty', but even his baritone is failing, and the one advantage of the Festival sets was that they invited related female voices to cover the 'unloved' back catalogue. 'Festival Bells' has become a shameless self-promotion of their generosity towards the Village, and it has all become rather dire and somber......As an institution, however, I don't see how their songs, their heritage, and their Festival could ever just fade away; their contribution is far too important, having brought 'Folk' music out of smokey clubs and into the main stream nearly 60 years ago !!! Most musicians owe a debt of gratitude, and Vaughn Williams and Cecil Sharp would be proud that they got their ear. It must continue, surely ?
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #368 on: August 30, 2022, 10:41:32 AM »

They (Fairports) 'headlined' Wickham in 2021. Timely question as to whether Cropredy Festval survives or dies because of, or despite them. WKWTTG's indeed ! Gutted to read that this year's set may have been noticeably tetchy towards the end, but their touring set as a 5 piece has been going off the boil for some years now, imho; SN has commonly stated that the audience would not let them off the stage unless they do 'Matty', but even his baritone is failing, and the one advantage of the Festival sets was that they invited related female voices to cover the 'unloved' back catalogue. 'Festival Bells' has become a shameless self-promotion of their generosity towards the Village, and it has all become rather dire and somber......As an institution, however, I don't see how their songs, their heritage, and their Festival could ever just fade away; their contribution is far too important, having brought 'Folk' music out of smokey clubs and into the main stream nearly 60 years ago !!! Most musicians owe a debt of gratitude, and Vaughn Williams and Cecil Sharp would be proud that they got their ear. It must continue, surely ?

Ouch.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #369 on: August 30, 2022, 11:19:28 AM »

That’s exactly what I thought…. Wonder if we will see him after Oct 1st!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #370 on: August 30, 2022, 11:25:10 AM »

Gordon's message is actually a tale of two halves and whilst there is an 'ouch' in one, there are definitely some elements of truth in it all.  I do hope one doesn't need to sign a "Fairport are at the very peak of their powers in 2022" pledge in blood in order to stay on board at TAW Towers.  Be a little bit boring (not to mention truth defying) if that was the case, wouldn't it?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #371 on: August 30, 2022, 11:29:17 AM »

Gutted to read that this year's set may have been noticeably tetchy towards the end, but their touring set as a 5 piece has been going off the boil for some years now,

And yet 20,000 people travelled to a field in Oxford at their invitation. They were voted top act in the poll I conducted by a huge majority. The tours often sell out and they continue to write some great songs .The Michael Collins one and "My love is in America" for example. Of course they are getting older (and only Al Jardine seems to have a voice unaffected by aging), but they are a National Institution and continue to be loved . Not too bad eh?
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #372 on: August 30, 2022, 10:12:55 PM »

Gotta say, for me. the last few Wintours have been some of the best Fairport shows I've attended. The band have been on tip-top form. But even apart from them, the last time they've seemed off the boil to me is when Maart had obviously had enough so we're going back a long time.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #373 on: August 30, 2022, 10:48:56 PM »

Gordon's message is actually a tale of two halves and whilst there is an 'ouch' in one, there are definitely some elements of truth in it all.  I do hope one doesn't need to sign a "Fairport are at the very peak of their powers in 2022" pledge in blood in order to stay on board at TAW Towers.  Be a little bit boring (not to mention truth defying) if that was the case, wouldn't it?

No one saluted years ago when I suggested Fairport were at the very peak of their powers in early 1969.  Smiley
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #374 on: August 31, 2022, 08:27:17 AM »

But even apart from them, the last time they've seemed off the boil to me is when Maart had obviously had enough so we're going back a long time.

Hmmm...I remember the last tour (1996?) Maart did as being one of my faves so, hey...opinions, opinions.  Then again I really enjoyed the first time I saw the Chris Leslie lineup (Swansea 1997 or was it 1998 - still with DM anyway) and I simply can't listen to them at all now.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #375 on: August 31, 2022, 09:43:25 AM »

When I last saw them on tour, which was pre pandemic, it was a sat down semi acoustic evening which I really enjoyed but felt more like a "Chris Leslie Band" with special guest Simon Nicol rather than a full on Fairport gig.

DW
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: