TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:35:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2022  (Read 61748 times)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2022, 09:01:36 AM »

Saw Ian McCulloch of Echo & the Bunnymen fame a few years back, totally off his trolley. He forgot his words,  swore at the audience & at a bemused Ian Brodie who was meant to be accompanying him on the guitar but gave up half way through with a shrug. He was appalling.

We walked out.

This could be a new topic. I've walked out of a couple of gigs and was at one Ian McNabb gig where it seemed like he was deliberately trying to wind up the Edinburgh crowd by saying how much better Glasgow audiences were. How not to win friends and influence people! I stopped going to see him after that for quite a few years. Moody bugger.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2022, 10:27:37 AM »

Saw Ian McCulloch of Echo & the Bunnymen fame a few years back, totally off his trolley. He forgot his words,  swore at the audience & at a bemused Ian Brodie who was meant to be accompanying him on the guitar but gave up half way through with a shrug. He was appalling.

We walked out.

This could be a new topic. I've walked out of a couple of gigs and was at one Ian McNabb gig where it seemed like he was deliberately trying to wind up the Edinburgh crowd by saying how much better Glasgow audiences were. How not to win friends and influence people! I stopped going to see him after that for quite a few years. Moody bugger.

Petulant Ians?  Cheesy

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2022, 11:26:06 AM »

I've walked out of very few gigs . The worst was probably Counting Crows , they were playing an arena gig , had a full band set up on stage, walked on and decided to play acoustic. The singer spent half the time sitting on the edge of the stage showing off . It was appalling. Pity because I've always liked their records. Festivals are of course a different kettle of fish.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2022, 11:31:26 AM »

We walked out.

Petulant Ians?  Cheesy

I resemble that remark!  Angry  Grin

I'm still hoping that Nick Mson's Saucerful of Secrets will be booked for next year, once the Covid backlog has cleared....

...speaking of which, have you heard about the new Pink Floyd tribute album?

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2022, 12:01:15 PM »

We walked out.

Petulant Ians?  Cheesy

I resemble that remark!  Angry  Grin

I'm still hoping that Nick Mson's Saucerful of Secrets will be booked for next year, once the Covid backlog has cleared....

...speaking of which, have you heard about the new Pink Floyd tribute album?

OMG I wasn't that (or those) to appear on my PC!!!!

Nick Mason at Cropredy would be my idea of absolute heaven! If he could just arrange a quick "guest guitarist"  Wink too my life would be complete!  Tiara

Chipton Blake

« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2022, 02:51:10 PM »

Not sure if this is the right place but in 2019
someone clever did a Cropredy Clashfinder for
all 5 “stages” - was very helpful. Clashfinders are
great for all festivals apart from Glastonbury! where
the app is always better. Anyway I would like it if someone
put one together?  Cheers.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2022, 03:43:28 PM »

It was on the Fairporters Facebook page I think. John Basevi wasnt it?

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2022, 04:19:40 PM »

Do we have all 5 line-ups? Need to know when the Ska band is on Smiley

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2022, 10:14:09 PM »

We walked out.

I caught one of Ian's show's in a similar condition too. This was in Portsmouth. He claimed to be nervous playing in the south but was in fact roaring drunk and getting more so as he swigged from a bottle of wine as the show continued. Unable to elicit requests from a somewhat dismayed audience, he decided to sing a bunch of cover versions, whilst wandering or more accurately stumbling into the audience. The gig was in a pub and I had recently injured my knee and was in significant pain. Reliant on a walking stick and unable to find a seat, I had positioned myself by the side wall on which I was leaning for support. Ian was staggering increasingly close to me and then, mid song, spotted that I was wearing an Ian Hunter T shirt. He sidled up to me, singing right in my face and then started prodding me repeatedly in the chest. I think it was approval but I can't be sure. It was extraordinarily intimidating but hysterically funny at the same time. I have never seen him in that condition since. In fact every other one of the many gigs that I have attended have been superb. And he has played in Worthing and Lewes in the last few years so has obviously got over his fear of the south.  Grin
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2022, 10:20:42 PM »

We walked out.

I caught one of Ian's show's in a similar condition too. This was in Portsmouth. He claimed to be nervous playing in the south but was in fact roaring drunk and getting more so as he swigged from a bottle of wine as the show continued. Unable to elicit requests from a somewhat dismayed audience, he decided to sing a bunch of cover versions, whilst wandering or more accurately stumbling into the audience. The gig was in a pub and I had recently injured my knee and was in significant pain. Reliant on a walking stick and unable to find a seat, I had positioned myself by the side wall on which I was leaning for support. Ian was staggering increasingly close to me and then, mid song, spotted that I was wearing an Ian Hunter T shirt. He sidled up to me, singing right in my face and then started prodding me repeatedly in the chest. I think it was approval but I can't be sure. It was extraordinarily intimidating but hysterically funny at the same time. I have never seen him in that condition since. In fact every other one of the many gigs that I have attended have been superb. And he has played in Worthing and Lewes in the last few years so has obviously got over his fear of the south.  Grin
What an experience!  Shocked

Swamp Donkey (Keith)

Loc: Bedfordshire

« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2022, 08:49:18 AM »

It was me! I'm just waiting for Field 8 (Cream of the Crop) line up. No Edge this year so only four stages this time.

Well it's turned out nice again!
Brian Green

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2022, 09:20:19 AM »

Didn't realise until now that no Edge bar this year.
Their Facebook page says they have taken the decision to bow out gracefully due to the hit taken with the pandemic.
A real shame as I felt they were getting better with each year I went there.
Good,reasonably priced beers,shelter from the sun/rain,tables and seats ,good facilities.
I wish them well.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2022, 09:23:30 AM »

I caught one of Ian's show's in a similar condition too. This was in Portsmouth. He claimed to be nervous playing in the south but was in fact roaring drunk and getting more so as he swigged from a bottle of wine as the show continued.

I don't remembering him being drunk at that Edinburgh gig - he was just in a weird mood. Fortunately there had been two support bands including Dawn of the Replicants who were pretty good. Ian was probably only on stage for about 30 minutes and then disappeared.

I saw him at T in the Park one year when he played to a near-empty marquee I think partly because the Manics were on the main stage. He did a cover of Magic Bus and at one point sat down at the front of the stage while his backing band carried on. But I think he might have had a couple of shandies before that gig.

Having said that I have good memories of the Icicle Works gigs I went to including one at the Astoria in London with the short-lived line-up that included Zak Starkey.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2022, 11:45:43 AM »

I've walked out of very few gigs . The worst was probably Counting Crows , they were playing an arena gig , had a full band set up on stage, walked on and decided to play acoustic. The singer spent half the time sitting on the edge of the stage showing off . It was appalling. Pity because I've always liked their records.

I like the first record but every time I see any footage of theirs I cringe.  Their cover of MotL is loathsome.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2022, 12:30:07 PM »

It's only 37 days to go - has anyone started packing yet?  Tiara

Should we have a new Topic started somewhere?

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2022, 04:17:57 PM »

It's only 37 days to go - has anyone started packing yet?  Tiara

Should we have a new Topic started somewhere?

Not yet packed, but a new topic would be good.

Wonder who will volunteer to do the toast this time?

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2022, 03:16:28 PM »

I've taken the fez out of the loft!

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2022, 09:15:51 AM »

I've taken the fez out of the loft!
Give it a good beating.

Nobody wants a dusty fez  Fez Shocked Grin

Chipton Blake

« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2022, 09:26:48 PM »

It was me! I'm just waiting for Field 8 (Cream of the Crop) line up. No Edge this year so only four stages this time.

My chance to say thanks then!
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2022, 05:58:59 PM »

I noticed this on the Fairport website

From Iain Matthews -
"Folks - So much has happened in the last 30 months since this date was booked. One of them being that we've all had to improvise to stay afloat. Consequently the members of Matthews Southern Comfort have gone their separate ways. Eric Devries has made a solo album and Bart de Win is focusing on teaching and playing with his duo, Tip Jar. Which leaves BJ Baartmans and myself to fly the flag until such times as the four of us can once again make music together. He and I are enthusiastically anticipating playing Cropredy 2022 and I sincerely hope you will welcome The Matthews Baartmans Experience into your hearts for this years festival."

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: