TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:36:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour 2022  (Read 15397 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« on: February 04, 2022, 09:29:45 AM »

There doesn't seem to be a topic for this, so I thought I'd start one for those of us fortunate enough to see the chaps live on the Wintout to share our thoughts.

I got to see them last night at Exeter Corn Exchange - a nice venue apart from the uncomfortable folding chairs!  I was lucky enough to snag a front row seat when booking, right in front of Chris, so got an excellent view.

This was the second date on the tour (apparently the Dublin concert didn't count?), and there was a little understandable rustiness initially, culminating in Cider Rain (the second song - third if you count them playing along with Luke Jackson's final song) grinding to a halt partway through when they got themselves into a muddle - cue much hilarity and discussion about where to start again from.  But apart from that, they were obviously loving being back on stage in front of people again - much as we were loving seeing them up there - and we got a good dose of Fairport material from across the years (if you have the Off the Desk 2020 CD, it was a similar - but not identical - setlist).  One thing that particularly struck me was that Ric's playing was further along the cosmic scale than I have seen for quite some years. But his stories haven't improved at all!

Support was by Luke Jackson. I've heard of him, and a few tracks by him, over the years but this was the first time I'd seen him, and he was obvioulsy enjoying himself up there, and I'm sure he won himself more fans last night.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 09:58:35 AM »

The Dublin gig was brilliant.  I went for a folding type but sturdy chair midway up because although the setting was magical i knew my old back wouldn't  cope with antique cathedral pews.
Totally concur with both points about Ric 😉
Re the setlist, it was, understandably, heavily drawn from Full House, and no complaints there. All in all, a joyous occasion and I feel privileged to have seen them on their first gig of the "new era" May there be many many more.

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 10:08:35 AM »

There doesn't seem to be a topic for this, so I thought I'd start one for those of us fortunate enough to see the chaps live on the Wintout to share our thoughts.

I got to see them last night at Exeter Corn Exchange - a nice venue apart from the uncomfortable folding chairs!  I was lucky enough to snag a front row seat when booking, right in front of Chris, so got an excellent view.

This was the second date on the tour (apparently the Dublin concert didn't count?), and there was a little understandable rustiness initially, culminating in Cider Rain (the second song - third if you count them playing along with Luke Jackson's final song) grinding to a halt partway through when they got themselves into a muddle - cue much hilarity and discussion about where to start again from.  But apart from that, they were obviously loving being back on stage in front of people again - much as we were loving seeing them up there - and we got a good dose of Fairport material from across the years (if you have the Off the Desk 2020 CD, it was a similar - but not identical - setlist).  One thing that particularly struck me was that Ric's playing was further along the cosmic scale than I have seen for quite some years. But his stories haven't improved at all!

Support was by Luke Jackson. I've heard of him, and a few tracks by him, over the years but this was the first time I'd seen him, and he was obvioulsy enjoying himself up there, and I'm sure he won himself more fans last night.

Interesting - I was playing Ric's solo album Whenever yesterday, and some of his playing on that was PDC ;-)  I'm also a big fan of the album he made with John Etheridge ("2nd Vision") - which reminds me - I must get round to finding the Soft Machine albums he played on....

Flobbadob!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2022, 10:24:33 AM »

Interesting - I was playing Ric's solo album Whenever yesterday, and some of his playing on that was PDC ;-)  I'm also a big fan of the album he made with John Etheridge ("2nd Vision") - which reminds me - I must get round to finding the Soft Machine albums he played on....

He was wearing a t-shirt that read Pretty Damn Cosmic last night - bit of a giveaway as to how he was going to play!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2022, 11:42:19 AM »

He was wearing a t-shirt that read Pretty Damn Cosmic last night - bit of a giveaway as to how he was going to play!

I was wearing that shirt yesterday!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
PhilipK

Loc: Hampshire, UK

Looking forward to Cropredy 2024...

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2022, 11:04:53 PM »

Winchester this evening

* PDC.jpg (551.65 KB, 2374x3497 - viewed 1038 times.)

--
Philip
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2022, 11:09:43 AM »

There's a strange story behind this as far as I am concerned. When I saw FC at the 50th anniversary Cropredy, I thought that that was so good, they weren't going to top it, I'd seen them 33 times (yes, I know, that's just getting started compared to some of you...), I would quit whilst I was ahead and instead concentrate on seeing the new generation of folk-rock bands (all of whom without exception I have since much enjoyed). However, some friends did not know of my resolve and, extremely kindly, bought tickets for all four of us to see them at St Albans. Thanks to your various comments, above, I am now really looking forward to this ...
Swamp Donkey (Keith)

Loc: Bedfordshire

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2022, 02:52:58 PM »

Phil, the Alban Arena is currently closed for asbestos removal. This event has been moved to The Eric Morecambe Centre, Harpenden. Have a good time.

Well it's turned out nice again!
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2022, 01:11:36 PM »

Wow ... the power of "Talk Awhile" ... thanks very much for that info, Keith .... it will be interesting to see if the Arena have troubled to inform our friends and other ticket-holders .....
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2022, 11:36:58 PM »

Apparently Peggy has contracted COVID-19 so Fairport were a 4-piece tonight in Solihull. Fingers crossed for a quick recovery.

Fingers also crossed that none of the others come down with it - the tour would potentially grind to a halt.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 11:50:51 PM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2022, 07:24:51 AM »

Apparently Peggy has contracted COVID-19 so Fairport were a 4-piece tonight in Solihull. Fingers crossed for a quick recovery.

Fingers also crossed that none of the others come down with it - the tour would potentially grind to a halt.

My friend was at that gig and said the (remaining) chaps did a fantastic job. They had to alter the set list, but she said they were excellent.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2022, 09:01:56 AM »

When was it the became the Fairport Three on a US tour?

DW
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2022, 09:08:00 AM »

I saw the "Pegg-less" FC Acoustic lineup 3 times around 2005, so four of the guys can certainly pull off a gig and pull it off fairly well, but his presence is missed - not just the mighty bass, but the middle vocal harmony...
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2022, 10:36:47 AM »

And let's all hope he has a speedy, uneventful and permanent  recovery.

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2022, 12:30:37 PM »

The rest of the band have tested negative... so far.

Hope so...  due to be in Lincoln tonight...  will check first.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2022, 12:31:36 PM »

More from the chaps:

We're sure many of you are now aware that Peggy wasn't with us last night for our Sold Out show at The Core Theatre in Solihull. This wasn't a case of alien abduction (so no need for 'The Year of '22' Chris!) it was because sadly Peggy tested positive for Covid yesterday morning. We had a great night pulling a new set together and thank you for all your kind words. Sadly this morning we have had more positive tests and therefore can’t continue with the tour. You’ll all know how upsetting this is for us and we thank you for your understanding and support. All going well we’ll be back together for Canterbury. We’ll keep you posted. We have let all venues know and they will be contacting you shortly. Some good news is that we have rescheduled tonight’s show at New Theatre Royal Lincoln for Sunday 6th March. This will be the last night of the tour. Take care. FCx

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2022, 12:39:23 PM »

Sadly, the tour has been called off due to more positive tests today

Not quite true.  Part of it has been called off...

"We're sure many of you are now aware that Peggy wasn't with us last night for our Sold Out show at The Core Theatre in Solihull. This wasn't a case of alien abduction (so no need for 'The Year of '22' Chris!) it was because sadly Peggy tested positive for Covid yesterday morning. We had a great night pulling a new set together and thank you for all your kind words. Sadly this morning we have had more positive tests and therefore can’t continue with the tour. You’ll all know how upsetting this is for us and we thank you for your understanding and support. All going well we’ll be back together for Canterbury. We’ll keep you posted. We have let all venues know and they will be contacting you shortly. Some good news is that we have rescheduled tonight’s show at New Theatre Royal Lincoln for Sunday 6th March. This will be the last night of the tour. Take care. FCx"

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2022, 12:40:39 PM »

Yes, I corrected my post.

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2022, 12:43:44 PM »

POSTPONED – Fairport Convention

Dear Ticket Holder,

We are emailing you today to notify you of the postponement of the Fairport Convention show this evening, 9th February. This show will now be performed on Sunday 6th March 2022.

Please see below, a statement from the show’s manager:

“It is with real sadness and frustration that due to a number of positive covid tests within the band we are unable to perform at the New Theatre Royal Lincoln tonight. We are so sorry and thank you for your support and understanding. Take care. FC x”

We are as disappointed as everyone else to hear of this show’s delay, especially at short notice, but we do understand that these things are beyond anybody’s control. The box office team are now working hard to contact everybody via telephone to ensure that notification has been received. Please do not contact the box office until you here from us as this may delay us in alerting all ticket holders. Thank you.

All tickets will be automatically transferred over to the 6th March date, with seat numbers remaining exactly the same.

Thank you for your support of New Theatre Royal.

Kind Regards,

NTR Box Office.

The venue has just phoned us too.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2022, 01:32:39 PM »

POSTPONED – Fairport Convention

Dear Ticket Holder,

We are emailing you today to notify you of the postponement of the Fairport Convention show this evening, 9th February. This show will now be performed on Sunday 6th March 2022.

Please see below, a statement from the show’s manager:

“It is with real sadness and frustration that due to a number of positive covid tests within the band we are unable to perform at the New Theatre Royal Lincoln tonight. We are so sorry and thank you for your support and understanding. Take care. FC x”

We are as disappointed as everyone else to hear of this show’s delay, especially at short notice, but we do understand that these things are beyond anybody’s control. The box office team are now working hard to contact everybody via telephone to ensure that notification has been received. Please do not contact the box office until you here from us as this may delay us in alerting all ticket holders. Thank you.

All tickets will be automatically transferred over to the 6th March date, with seat numbers remaining exactly the same.

Thank you for your support of New Theatre Royal.

Kind Regards,

NTR Box Office.

The venue has just phoned us too.

Lets hope anyone who has booked accommodation / transport / baby sitters etc will be equally refunded but I doubt it.

DW
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: