TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:19:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2021  (Read 65943 times)
Sue & Chris

« Reply #120 on: June 28, 2021, 10:59:34 AM »

The Country is coming out of all lockdown restrictions on July 19th. The Government are making positive noises about bringing this forward.
90% of all Uk citizens would have been fully vaccinated by August. There was all but no chance of cancellation if they had gone ahead.

Just don't understand this decision at all. Wondering what the real motive is. Were ticket sales poor???

I expected to get crucified for holding this view from those who think FC can do no wrong. But it is my opinion.

I hope Gerry has the strength to go ahead with Field 8 and get in some of the acts surprisingly unemployed on the dates.

It's incorrect to say that the country is coming out of all lockdown restrictions on 19th July. All that the road map states is a 'hope' to 'ease restrictions' on large events. Such vagueness is not helpful when committing large sums of money.

And you seem to have forgotten that this stage has already been postponed once (and the Govt had been making very positive noises in the run up to that date, too.) Given the trend in infections, I would not be surprised in the least if stage 4 is postponed again.

Maybe it suits you to believe that the reasons for this postponement are to do with something other than the Government's failure to underwrite cancellation insurance. But I am putting the blame where it belongs.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #121 on: June 28, 2021, 11:02:52 AM »

What will happen with the Trad Arrr gig?

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2021, 11:07:22 AM »

Just don't understand this decision at all. Wondering what the real motive is. Were ticket sales poor???

Would borrow £1M+ and place it on a bet that restrictions don't get reintroduced in four weeks time?

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2021, 11:17:16 AM »

Let's not forget that Cropredy's postponement not only affects the bands booked, but also affects all the peripheral trades providing video and sound, stage provision, loos, food, drinks and security. Then there's  the Traders, the bands playing the fringe, the Pubs, the local shop, the Cricket Club, the Canoeing Club, the hotels, camping grounds and B&Bs, Katharine House Hospice, the Scouts... the list is long.

It will directly affect the Banbury Trades and Labour Club that hosts the Warmups. TRADarr are booked to play there on the Wednesday before not-Cropredy, it's possible that gig will still occur, time will tell.

In the meantime, be under no illusions, this government could have a thorough, thought-through strategy to support festivals and the performing arts. Instead, the choice has been made to support sport.

Their hypocrisy all the way through this pandemic is there for all to see and I, for one, am saddened and angered by the impact on friends throughout this industry who are not only screwed by the lack of insurance, but also by the lack of support for the many artists stymied in their plans to tour Europe.

NB These artists / bands will not be playing Cropredy this year. Please give them your support in any way you can.

Bar-Steward Sons of Val Doonican
Clannad
Edward II
Emily Barker
Fairport Convention
Holy Moly & The Crackers
Home Service
Maddie Morris
Martyn Joseph
Matthews Southern Comfort
Richard Digance
Richard Thompson
Rosalie Cunningham
Steve Hackett
The Slambovian Circus of Dreams
The Thumping Tommys
The Trevor Horn Band
Turin Brakes

Not forgetting our erstwhile MC, Anthony John Clarke.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 12:39:48 PM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #124 on: June 28, 2021, 11:57:21 AM »

Huge commiserations to the band and everybody connected with the festival.  This was always going to be how it would turn out though. To my mind, the optimistic messaging over the last few months was fairly unwise...what they should have been saying is that without cancellation insurance the festival simply could not take place, as that is and has always been the reality.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Tertonmike

Loc: Dublin

Still At It...

« Reply #125 on: June 28, 2021, 12:02:42 PM »

Slightly off topic but related to this, in the latest Private Eye they report that the government is dragging their heels in the negotiations to do with musicians touring EU countries. Seems that so far they've only struck deals with Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein.

Says Horace Trubridge of the Musicians Union, "... this government cares not a jot for the UK creative industries."

....which means that there's a deal with the EFTA countries but (surprise, surprise!) not with the EU - which is of course where most musicians will want to work.  The usual shambles!

"Music is the antidote
To the world of pain and sorrow"
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #126 on: June 28, 2021, 12:19:10 PM »

Huge commiserations to the band and everybody connected with the festival.  This was always going to be how it would turn out though. To my mind, the optimistic messaging over the last few months was fairly unwise...what they should have been saying is that without cancellation insurance the festival simply could not take place, as that is and has always been the reality.
To be fair, that's exactly what they've been saying for months.

Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #127 on: June 28, 2021, 02:37:08 PM »

Gareth Williams was interviewed on Radio Oxford this morning about the postponement of Cropredy.

It starts at about 9:12  here.

Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #128 on: June 28, 2021, 05:10:54 PM »

Field 8 decision tomorrow Hope he goes ahead.
We will come down as planned and I'm sure that any who roll over their booking will be easily replaced by the many of us devastated and disappointed by todays decision.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #129 on: June 28, 2021, 05:55:26 PM »

Field 8 decision tomorrow Hope he goes ahead.
We will come down as planned and I'm sure that any who roll over their booking will be easily replaced by the many of us devastated and disappointed by todays decision.

But what about the villagers Trev?

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #130 on: June 28, 2021, 06:01:48 PM »

Exactly!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #131 on: June 28, 2021, 07:03:16 PM »

Wow, no-one said that when they were planning to go!!

How many does field 8 house, a few hundred? Not a problem for the villagers surely.

DW
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #132 on: June 28, 2021, 07:39:45 PM »

I hope there will be something online, again-and/or on the radio like last year.  Smiley

Brian Green

« Reply #133 on: June 29, 2021, 01:03:11 AM »

Thanks Andy for the link to Gareths interview.
A very difficult decision to call but when the potential losses are explained we can see why it had to be.
Will make sure I keep my ticket away from direct sunlight in case the ink fades too much by 2022 Smiley
PL (Peter)
able to create swamp magic

Loc: SW Germany

If it`s Wednesday, you survived Tuesday.

« Reply #134 on: June 29, 2021, 08:54:49 AM »

Sad news, but not really surprising.
But then it shows very well that Gareth & the chaps feel responsible for all the people directly involved with the festival and for the audience, which IMHO deserves respect.
Thank you, Gareth
Looking forward to being on the field again next year.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #135 on: June 29, 2021, 09:06:46 AM »

Any word on the Brasenose Fringe?

DW
Metro96 (Keith)
Do I look like a padre?

Loc: Adjacent to the Saddleworth villages.

My Friend there is always time for beer!

« Reply #136 on: June 29, 2021, 09:12:03 AM »

What will happen with the Trad Arrr gig?

Put back a year unfortunately.
But with most of the audience only in the area for Cropredy, I'm not surprised.

Pwll peint o chwerw os gwelwch yn dda.
một pint của đắng xin
ไพน์ของขมโปรด
en halvliter øl vennligst
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #137 on: June 29, 2021, 09:14:20 AM »

Like many of us, I am gutted by yesterday's decision, but to be honest not too surprised. I'd been hoping, but that hope had been fading, especially after lockdown restrictions weren't lifted a week ago.  Don't know if the chaps will have time to arrange something online this year now, like last, but I'm sure many of us would pay to have a virtual Cropredy of some sort..

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #138 on: June 29, 2021, 10:55:34 AM »

Like many of us, I'm disappointed but not surprised. I'll keep my (Saturday only) ticket ready to use it next year, though if plans come to fruition, I may be in Oz at that time. If so, there'll be a half-price ticket available, to be "advertised" here first...

Flobbadob!
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #139 on: June 30, 2021, 08:58:48 PM »

Field 8 deciding tomorrow. If they go ahead then I will go. Hope the Brasenose runs their fringe too. Maybe 3 Daft Monkeys wont travel up from Cornwall but Leatherat  and Spank the Monkey are local.

My Friend Nick asked what about the Villagers. Well by then all lockdown and Covid restrictions will have been lifted and I will do my bit for the village by spending at the Brasenose and Red Lion and buying from the shop.

I am sure they need the Trade.

My fingers firmly crossed.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: