TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:09:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (guitar, vocal)  (Read 14400 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« on: June 11, 2020, 03:10:55 PM »

In the process of digging out and digitising my old LPs, I have come across my copy of RT's (guitar, vocal), and am wondering if any of the tracks on there have not now been released on other albums, either compilations or as bonus tracks?

Having done a little research, it looks to me as if the ones that haven't (or which I don't have, anyway) are:

Mr Lacey (1968 BBC session) - on the 19 disc Sandy box (which I don't have), but not elsewhere?
A Heart Needs A Home (alternate take) - on the Island Years compilation (which I don't have), but not elsewhere?
Flee As A Bird - not available elsewhere?
The Pitfall/The Excursion - not available elsewhere?

Am I right?  

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 04:40:14 PM »

I'd say regarding Flee As A Bird & Pitfall that sounds correct. Don't remember them ever cropping up anywhere else.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 05:17:35 PM »

Thanks for the break down of this album.  I'd often wondered.  I really must get a copy of it someday.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 05:25:36 PM »

You really must Jules. One of my favorites is It'll Be Me. The vocal is a little ragged but the reason I love it is for Peggy's bass playing. The line he employs throughout is almost simultaneously a rhythm guitar AND bass. Very impressive.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2020, 05:31:42 PM »

You really must Jules. One of my favorites is It'll Be Me. The vocal is a little ragged but the reason I love it is for Peggy's bass playing. The line he employs throughout is almost simultaneously a rhythm guitar AND bass. Very impressive.

Which is also available as a bonus track on the 2004 release of Hokey Pokey and on the In Concert, November 1975 album

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2020, 05:44:02 PM »

This prompted me to check out "guitar, vocal" on Amazon - it's currently £40, so I'm pleased I have it! It prompts me to ask - what do you all think is the most rare RT / FC album on CD?
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2020, 05:51:33 PM »

This prompted me to check out "guitar, vocal" on Amazon - it's currently £40, so I'm pleased I have it! It prompts me to ask - what do you all think is the most rare RT / FC album on CD?

The AT2/The Boot/Other Boot/Third Leg reissues must be pretty high up the list...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2020, 06:09:03 PM »

The AT2/The Boot/Other Boot/Third Leg reissues must be pretty high up the list...

Sunnyvista
and First Light on CD also. I am lucky to have picked up copies of the Hannibal releases at one of my first Cropredys but they are pretty hard to come by now.

Incidentally I picked up (guitar, vocal) at the same time. It has always been one of my favourite RT releases though most of it has now been released in other forms. Does the remixed/re-recorded Poor Will appear anywhere else? Is the version on the Full House reissue the original recording?
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2020, 06:14:13 PM »

Was just about to say First Light, the only official studio album by Richard I don’t own. Did not realize Sunnyvista was such a rarity though. At one point Small Town Romance was certainly a rarity. For Fairport I’d guess Gottle O’ Geer or maybe the Phonogram albums?

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2020, 06:15:21 PM »

Still available in MP3 format free, from me, with permission of Mr Nicol et al.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2020, 06:18:56 PM »

Was just about to say First Light, the only official studio album by Richard I don’t own. Did not realize Sunnyvista was such a rarity though. At one point Small Town Romance was certainly a rarity. For Fairport I’d guess Gottle O’ Geer or maybe the Phonogram albums?

Gottle and the Vertigo albums are pretty easy to get on CD as they were part of the reissue programme. Original vinyl might be different.
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2020, 06:53:40 PM »

I neglected to say that in the US they might be harder to track down. A quick search on Amazon US showed them to be a pretty steep price. Glad I got mine when I did!

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2020, 09:49:05 PM »

Does the remixed/re-recorded Poor Will appear anywhere else? Is the version on the Full House reissue the original recording?

It's also on a rather wonderful Japanese issue of House Full, which includes everything from the CD and vinyl House Full and Live at the L.A. Troubadour variants.

I've managed to get The Boot / AT2, The Other Boot / The Third Leg, First Light, and Sunnyvista on CDs at pretty decent prices over the years, thanks to some diligent eBay hunting.

Jules

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2020, 11:37:54 PM »

Does the remixed/re-recorded Poor Will appear anywhere else? Is the version on the Full House reissue the original recording?

It's also on a rather wonderful Japanese issue of House Full, which includes everything from the CD and vinyl House Full and Live at the L.A. Troubadour variants.

I've managed to get The Boot / AT2, The Other Boot / The Third Leg, First Light, and Sunnyvista on CDs at pretty decent prices over the years, thanks to some diligent eBay hunting.

Jules

I've gotten them all as well, but it wasn't easy. My CD of AT2/The Boot had to pass through London and be hand-delivered to me in Las Vegas before I got it home to Texas. I have actually been listening to it again lately, and I have to say it was worth it.  Smiley

...and my Hannibal copy of Sunnyvista has disc rot; I managed to copy it to a CDR before it went completely blank.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2020, 08:37:43 AM »

Jules

It's on the Come All Ye box too.  I think the version on the Full House reissue doesn't have Linda's backing vocals, which the (guitar, vocal) version does.

Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2020, 09:04:13 AM »

Gosh I still have my Hannibal copy of this from the days when I bought RT and Fairport stuff. Last time I looked it was rather collectable. Can't say I play it a lot so maybe I should remedy that.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2020, 10:21:31 AM »

It's on the Come All Ye box too.  I think the version on the Full House reissue doesn't have Linda's backing vocals, which the (guitar, vocal) version does.

That's right.  The original mix has Swarb singing a harmony.  Richard replaced his and Swarb's vocals with himself and Linda.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2020, 12:39:59 PM »

Anybody ever seen a copy of this?  I'd never even heard of it until 5 mins ago... https://www.discogs.com/Richard-Thompson-Richard-Thompson-Live-More-Or-Less/release/7690516

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2020, 12:59:28 PM »

Anybody ever seen a copy of this?  I'd never even heard of it until 5 mins ago... https://www.discogs.com/Richard-Thompson-Richard-Thompson-Live-More-Or-Less/release/7690516

Yes, I am pretty sure I first saw it mentioned in my 1975 NME Encyclopedia of Rock, which I cannot find at the moment. It is the North American release of (guitar, vocal)
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2020, 02:09:17 PM »

It is the North American release of (guitar, vocal)

No, it isn't.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: