TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:09:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did FC used to do a longer Saturday set?  (Read 32942 times)
Ancient Muse (Andy)
As nature intended
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Wales

Sometimes a redhead, always a natural blonde!

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2019, 10:08:28 AM »

Poor buggers! They're getting on in years, you know! I'm not surprised their Saturday set is shorter than it used to be!  Smiley

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana
Starstruck

Loc: Pori, Finland

The King of Luvia

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2020, 10:58:00 AM »

2002 was definitely still 4 hours. It was my first one, so that I remember clearly. Still have that glittery hat of Peggy's in my collection.. Cheesy
It changed quickly after that to 3 1/2, in 2003 or 2004.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2020, 01:11:00 PM »

They used to do a proper Cropredy set, not just a skightly rehashed wintour set with a guest appearance.
What was the year when they finished Matty before 1145 and admitted they had run out of material before they could start MOTL?

The Dude abides
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2020, 04:24:31 PM »

They used to do a proper Cropredy set, not just a skightly rehashed wintour set with a guest appearance.
What was the year when they finished Matty before 1145 and admitted they had run out of material before they could start MOTL?

2009?

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2020, 08:48:35 PM »

2009?

Think so, my last year at the festival! Who knows where the time goes?  Roll Eyes

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2020, 09:14:24 AM »

I remember 2005 being a particularly good one. After that, I seem to remember they started leaning towards, as Jim says above, more of a re-hashed and extended Winter Tour set.

Intro.
Over The Next Hill
Wait For The Tide To Come In
Journeyman's Grace
Genesis Hall
Canny Capers
The Crowd (w. Anna Ryder)
Already There
Darling (w. Tiny Tin Lady)
Walk Awhile
The Fossil Hunter
The Flow (w. Vo Fletcher & The Tommy Connolly Dancers)
Hiring Fair
Jewel In The Crown (w. Maart)
Red & Gold (w. Maart and Edmund Whitcombe)
Wat Tyler (as above)
Some Special Place
Wassail Song
Now Be Thankful
Rosemary's Sister
Woodworm Swing
Widow Of Westmoreland's Daughter
Rosie (w. RT)
Bushes & Briars (w. RT, Beth Nielsen Chapman, PJ Wright and Maart)
Solo (as above)
Sir Patrick Spens (w. RT)
I'm Down (w. RT and Pete Zorn)
Let It Blow (w. RT)
Tear Stained Letter (w. RT, Pete Zorn, Maart and Christine Collister)
Come All Ye (w. Jacqui McShee, RT and Ashley Hutchings)
Si Du Tois Partir (as above)
Bowman's Retreat
Matty Groves
Dirty Linen
Meet On The Ledge
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2020, 09:27:52 AM »

2009?

My, admittedly ropey, memory thinks it was a bit later than that round 2013/14/15 ish

The Dude abides
Jethro (Derek)

Loc: Cumbria

« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2020, 10:16:37 PM »

Slightly off topic, but still to do with the main Fairport set, I seem to remember more "special guests" appearing with them during the set in my early years (started going at the beginning of the 90's). People like Joe Brown, Robert Plant, Roy Wood, Ian Anderson & Martin Barre, and the guy from Supertramp (Roger Hodgson was it ?), not just ex Fairport members or artists who'd been on earlier in the day/weekend.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2020, 12:59:01 AM »

Like last year, then, when Joe Brown guested.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2020, 07:58:17 AM »

Slightly off topic, but still to do with the main Fairport set, I seem to remember more "special guests" appearing with them during the set in my early years (started going at the beginning of the 90's). People like Joe Brown, Robert Plant, Roy Wood, Ian Anderson & Martin Barre, and the guy from Supertramp (Roger Hodgson was it ?), not just ex Fairport members or artists who'd been on earlier in the day/weekend.

They can't win really - when Percy did that fantastic set within a set in '93 (after his briefer appearance the year before) there was loads of criticism in some circles. It was always a high point for me.  Apart from Yusuf.  For whatever reason, I didn't enjoy that.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2020, 08:17:19 AM »

They can't win really - when Percy did that fantastic set within a set in '93 (after his briefer appearance the year before) there was loads of criticism in some circles. It was always a high point for me.  Apart from Yusuf.  For whatever reason, I didn't enjoy that.

The '93 set also included a lengthy Roy Wood set, which was also fab, but that left little time for Fairport stuff. I didn't complain, mind.

Well I never did..
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2020, 08:38:42 AM »

He didn't have far to come. I think he lives in Cropredy nowadays.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2020, 10:22:43 AM »

The '93 set also included a lengthy Roy Wood set, which was also fab, but that left little time for Fairport stuff. I didn't complain, mind.

True.  I loved it all.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jethro (Derek)

« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2020, 12:30:02 PM »

Not quite...I'm thinking more about guests who did, effectively, a mini set within the Fairport set. If memory serves Joe Brown did one song. It's not a criticism, by the way, just an observation.I guess, going back to the original topic, shorter Fairport sets leave less time for longer guest slots.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #54 on: July 04, 2020, 12:30:37 PM »

He didn't have far to come. I think he lives in Cropredy nowadays.

He does.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2020, 09:07:38 AM »

Must be time for a Roy Wood return?

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
PL (Peter)
able to create swamp magic

Loc: SW Germany

If it`s Wednesday, you survived Tuesday.

« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2020, 01:11:03 PM »

High time for Roy Wood.
I still have fab memories of his last proper set at Cropredy.
Jethro (Derek)

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2020, 12:37:08 PM »

High time for Roy Wood.

Ah yes, singing "I wish it could be Christmas every day" on a weekend night in August....magic !!
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2020, 10:32:15 PM »

High time for Roy Wood.

Ah yes, singing "I wish it could be Christmas every day" on a weekend night in August....magic !!

Yes, I would like to relive that.

Paul

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: