TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:22:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General Chatter  (Read 130159 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #220 on: August 15, 2019, 01:19:04 PM »

Agree with all you said. Thinking about 80’s bands though maybe that’s an area that could possibly be explored more? As we’ve talked about before Bridg we’ve both seen Tears for Fears recently who would provide a superb show for Cropredy. As would the likes of ABC, Marc Almond, Blancmange and possibly China Crisis, Heaven 17, Human League etc etc...there’s plenty such bands stlll around....just a thought  

There were a lot of decent 80s / 90s bands still touring in their own right and not just a part of nostalgia weekends, I would add OMD, Echo and the Bunnymen, Paul Young, Billy Ocean, Simple Minds, The Pretenders, The Lightning Seeds, Paul Heaton,

DW

OMD are terrific live, particularly doing a hits set but judging by the ticket prices on their own 2019 tour, they may be beyond Cropredy's budget. They were certainly beyond mine.  Sad
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #221 on: August 15, 2019, 03:01:05 PM »

How about some funk - get Nile Rogers and Chic! Awwww - Freak Out!!  Afro  Cool  Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #222 on: August 15, 2019, 03:36:40 PM »

Or some good old blues! I’m seeing both The Blues Band (with Paul Jones, Dave Kelly et al) and Nine Below Zero (Denis Greaves, Mark Feltham etc) locally again this year. Both bands are still terrific live and would put on great sets I reckon

Born to Run (but not very fast)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #223 on: August 15, 2019, 03:57:45 PM »

Or some good old blues! I’m seeing both The Blues Band (with Paul Jones, Dave Kelly et al) and Nine Below Zero (Denis Greaves, Mark Feltham etc) locally again this year. Both bands are still terrific live and would put on great sets I reckon

This is an appalling admission of ignorance but I had no idea that Denis Greaves was in Nine Below Zero. Somewhere in my collection I have a Denis Greaves & the Truth album which I bought mostly because it was produced by Andy Piercy from After The Fire.
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #224 on: August 15, 2019, 04:09:28 PM »

This is an appalling admission of ignorance but I had no idea that Denis Greaves was in Nine Below Zero. Somewhere in my collection I have a Denis Greaves & the Truth album which I bought mostly because it was produced by Andy Piercy from After The Fire.

I believe Denis and Mark were founder members of the band...at least both were in the band when I first saw them way back in 1979! Oh that makes me feel old - 40 years ago OMG! (as the kids say!)

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #225 on: August 15, 2019, 04:12:11 PM »

I believe Denis and Mark were founder members of the band...at least both were in the band when I first saw them way back in 1979! Oh that makes me feel old - 40 years ago OMG! (as the kids say!)

Same year I first saw After the Fire, at the Marquee in Wardour Street. My first ever gig.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #226 on: August 15, 2019, 05:16:00 PM »

OK, so we'd collectively like some folk-rock, some rockin' blooz, a sprinkling of prog (Gong?), a dash of Cajun, a sunsplash of reggae, a couple of up and coming bands/performers, a big (80s?) name eg OMD.  How about maybe some African hi-life and a proper boppin' Balkan band?

Flobbadob!
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #227 on: August 15, 2019, 05:24:14 PM »

Just please please no country and no electric hip hop, or people who can only sing with their voices squeezed through a Stephen Hawking machine...

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
iandiddams

« Reply #228 on: August 15, 2019, 05:48:26 PM »

OK, so we'd collectively like some folk-rock, some rockin' blooz, a sprinkling of prog (Gong?), a dash of Cajun, a sunsplash of reggae, a couple of up and coming bands/performers, a big (80s?) name eg OMD.  How about maybe some African hi-life and a proper boppin' Balkan band?

Book it - Im there!

didds

PS and a parkrun and a hash run too!
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #229 on: August 15, 2019, 05:50:48 PM »

Just please please no country and no electric hip hop, or people who can only sing with their voices squeezed through a Stephen Hawking machine...

I'm vetoing the no country rule. Steve Earle would be great for example. Or Lucinda Williams.
Sue & Chris

« Reply #230 on: August 15, 2019, 06:11:35 PM »

I'm vetoing the no country rule. Steve Earle would be great for example. Or Lucinda Williams.

EmmyLou Harris and Rodney Crowell were great when they did it, although they were lumbered with even worse weather than Frank Turner and played to a very sparse crowd.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #231 on: August 15, 2019, 06:11:52 PM »

There's country and there's country. On one side are Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, Alison Krauss, Lyle Lovett, Willie Nelson, Dixie Chicks, etc.  On t'other are Luke Bryan, Garth Brooks, Toby Keith, etc.  There are some straddling the line, such as maybe Kacey Musgraves.  If an artist is played regularly on the radio in Nashville, it's a good sign they're too country for Cropredy.  Wink
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #232 on: August 15, 2019, 06:37:31 PM »

Dixie Chicks and/or Willie Nelson definitely for me although I understand Willie has been poorly lately (his version of You Were Always On My Mind ranks in my top 5 songs of all time)

RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #233 on: August 15, 2019, 06:43:11 PM »

There's country and there's country. On one side are Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, Alison Krauss, Lyle Lovett, Willie Nelson, Dixie Chicks, etc.  On t'other are Luke Bryan, Garth Brooks, Toby Keith, etc.  There are some straddling the line, such as maybe Kacey Musgraves.  If an artist is played regularly on the radio in Nashville, it's a good sign they're too country for Cropredy.  Wink

This right here! Hot Club Of Cowtown would go down a storm for example. And if they were still around, BR5-49 would be a blast.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #234 on: August 15, 2019, 06:57:43 PM »

Is it me, or has this thread AND the Lots of Room thread turned into ‘Who we’d like to see at Cropredy’?

Maybe we should start a thread on that, so that we can have some more general chats about this year’s Cropredy.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #235 on: August 15, 2019, 07:39:42 PM »

Is it me, or has this thread AND the Lots of Room thread turned into ‘Who we’d like to see at Cropredy’?

Maybe we should start a thread on that, so that we can have some more general chats about this year’s Cropredy.
It has! I love these discussions, it shows just how diverse TAW is - and hopefully we all have at least one band in common!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #236 on: August 15, 2019, 07:47:12 PM »

It has! I love these discussions, it shows just how diverse TAW is - and hopefully we all have at least one band in common!

Grin well, hope it’s THAT one...those Saturday headliners y’know.
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #237 on: August 15, 2019, 08:03:10 PM »

"Maybe we should start a thread on that, so that we can have some more general chats about this year’s Cropredy."

Or just copy and paste the one from last year, or the year before..🤐  😉

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #238 on: August 15, 2019, 08:31:07 PM »

"Maybe we should start a thread on that, so that we can have some more general chats about this year’s Cropredy."

Or just copy and paste the one from last year, or the year before..🤐  😉

Grin
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #239 on: August 15, 2019, 11:06:15 PM »

Can't recall if they actually headlined but Hayseed Dixie were great!

didds

They should have headlined but didn't. I think, but might be getting mixed up, that UB40 headlined that night - I lasted 20 minutes. I obviously wasn't feelin' irie.  Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: