TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:50:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General Chatter  (Read 129386 times)
iandiddams

« Reply #240 on: August 15, 2019, 11:45:01 PM »

Can't recall if they actually headlined but Hayseed Dixie were great!

didds

They should have headlined but didn't. I think, but might be getting mixed up, that UB40 headlined that night - I lasted 20 minutes. I obviously wasn't feelin' irie.  Roll Eyes

found it...  2016, thursday.  They preceded madness who were very unengaged I felt.

didds

YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #241 on: August 16, 2019, 08:39:10 AM »

Judging from the quantity of Cropredy soil that's just fallen off my car, into my drive, the fields must be being slowly eroded away.  Undecided

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
barryanorak (Julian)

Loc: Thurgoland - no, really

The sun is a lightbulb, my fridge is a cow

« Reply #242 on: August 16, 2019, 09:09:51 AM »

Just please please no country and no electric hip hop, or people who can only sing with their voices squeezed through a Stephen Hawking machine...

I'm vetoing the no country rule. Steve Earle would be great for example. Or Lucinda Williams.

Steve Earle would be great, but we saw Lucinda Williams at Wickham and, if that was a representative set, with all amps and instruments turned up to 11, then I'll pass next time...

You have to be happy with what you have to be happy with
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #243 on: August 16, 2019, 10:22:06 AM »

Can't recall if they actually headlined but Hayseed Dixie were great!

didds

They should have headlined but didn't. I think, but might be getting mixed up, that UB40 headlined that night - I lasted 20 minutes. I obviously wasn't feelin' irie.  Roll Eyes

found it...  2016, thursday.  They preceded madness who were very unengaged I felt.

didds

Ah, well, I wasn't there in 2016. It was 2011 I was thinking of. Hayseed Dixie followed by UB40 as headliners. Should have been the other way round - or UB40 shouldn't have been there at all.
DerekW
n3wb

« Reply #244 on: August 16, 2019, 05:59:16 PM »

How about Lindisfarne and The Men They Couldn't Hang ? Plenty of quality songs with memorable rousing melodies from two bands on top form.  
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #245 on: August 16, 2019, 06:08:28 PM »

Lindisfarne and Mark Knopfler are my top two.

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
mightyglydd
An electric train freak should have no problems

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #246 on: August 16, 2019, 06:27:19 PM »

Arcade Fire 'acoustic'..(yes they can, tis a delight )

Schedule permitting they might be tempted to do something different. + no heavy gear required.

Pat Benatar and Neil Geraldo.  Smiley
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #247 on: August 16, 2019, 06:35:12 PM »

Arcade Fire 'acoustic'..(yes they can, tis a delight )

If you have Arcade Fire there, you're going to want them plugged in....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
mightyglydd
An electric train freak should have no problems

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #248 on: August 16, 2019, 06:45:02 PM »

As I said, something different....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEWn2a9HuXc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxHvMjoos6o

@That's a VERY small room....Stand Up Bass there too.

Sue & Chris

« Reply #249 on: August 17, 2019, 08:31:01 AM »

Am I right in thinking that, apart from RT (who is a special case and playing further dates in Europe anyway), there were no US-based acts on the bill this year? Which perhaps reflects the cost of getting them to Cropredy and the reduced likelihood of seeing them there in the future (unless they already happen to be in the area).
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #250 on: August 17, 2019, 08:38:23 AM »

Don't forget there are often clauses in contracts which forbid bands to play within a certain radius of a venue/festival for a certain amount of time. That can often prevent a performance...

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #251 on: August 17, 2019, 09:20:25 AM »

Judging from the quantity of Cropredy soil that's just fallen off my car, into my drive, the fields must be being slowly eroded away.  Undecided

Cowpats will decay and replace the topsoil over time  Grin
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #252 on: August 18, 2019, 12:51:07 PM »

Either or both of those would suit me fine.  Along with Camel too.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #253 on: August 18, 2019, 03:29:47 PM »

Either or both of those would suit me fine.  Along with Camel too.

I was lucky enough to see the original line up of Lindisfarne, 1973(!)@ Man Uni , with the inimitable Alan Hull. Since his death they have never been Lindisfarne for me.
 I know Fairport have only 1 original member Fairport have morphed into different bands through line up changes,but I do struggle with bands who have few original members  I know Simon’s theory that it is like an orchestra and other members come in but for me a band is an organic beast , the sum of it’s members....the WHO , without Moon and then without Entwhistle were certainly not the WHO....but this is only personal opinion.
Strangely I love the Waterboys , who have had more members than most but then it is really the Mike Scott band...a new band every time ,,,,,,usually with the ‘man who fiddles’ of course.
I saw the new lineup of Steeleye recently who were stunning and I just thought of them as a completely new, reinvigorated band with Maddy as the only link to the past.
So perhaps it is bands who replace players and become their own tribute band I have probs with.
But Tull has to have Martin Barre....etc etc.
Thoughts?
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #254 on: August 18, 2019, 03:35:55 PM »

Lindisfarne have been so abjectly awful at times along the way (all those party albums/collaborations with Gazza etc etc etc) that just hearing anybody playing their wonderful stuff, especially if they're connected to the past in a tangible sense is a joy...

Fairport's longest serving member, of course, is Peggy, not Simon.  

It really does vary from band to band.  I don't have a problem with Fairport with one original member but I do with Status Quo or the Beach Boys.  Go figure.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #255 on: August 18, 2019, 03:45:49 PM »

Lindisfarne have been so abjectly awful at times along the way (all those party albums/collaborations with Gazza etc etc etc) that just hearing anybody playing their wonderful stuff, especially if they're connected to the past in a tangible sense is a joy...

Fairport's longest serving member, of course, is Peggy, not Simon.  

It really does vary from band to band.  I don't have a problem with Fairport with one original member but I do with Status Quo or the Beach Boys.  Go figure.

Absolutely Dave...
and being pedantic I did say original member , not longest serving......
Loved the Floyd after Syd went but not after Roger left......there is no rhyme or reason, just personal taste
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #256 on: August 18, 2019, 04:02:46 PM »

[quote author=Albie link=topic=46224.msg745732#msg745732 date

Ah, well, I wasn't there in 2016. It was 2011 I was thinking of. Hayseed Dixie followed by UB40 as headliners. Should have been the other way round - or UB40 shouldn't have been there at all.
[/quote]

Why not UB 40 - long term FC connection, decent musicians, major chart success ...?

DW
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #257 on: August 29, 2019, 11:02:50 AM »

I’m probably putting this on the wrong thread but, tbh, I’m getting confused with all the crossover conversations. Anyway I see that Towersey Festival is already advertising its tickets for 2020 with artists such as Kate Rusby, Steeleye Span, Show of Hands, Grace Petrie etc already confirmed. So folk music isn’t dead and I wonder how quick the Fairport boys now have to move to get the acts they want. If they announce lineups earlier would that mean a higher interest level? Just wondering....

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #258 on: August 30, 2019, 11:01:11 AM »

I would expect that most of Cropredy 2020 is already contracted; and that 2021 is well under plan.

Going back to comments about Lindisfarne . I saw them headline at Wirral Folk Fest in 2018.

Played for ninety minutes with song after song that we all knew, Rod Clemments , Alan Hull Jnr,  et-al.

Played with up tempo enthusiasm and put in a great show. Would love to see them again ,really great band with brilliant back catalog and full of enthusiasm to deliver it.
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #259 on: August 30, 2019, 11:25:33 AM »

I would expect that most of Cropredy 2020 is already contracted; and that 2021 is well under plan.

Going back to comments about Lindisfarne . I saw them headline at Wirral Folk Fest in 2018.

Played for ninety minutes with song after song that we all knew, Rod Clemments , Alan Hull Jnr,  et-al.

Played with up tempo enthusiasm and put in a great show. Would love to see them again ,really great band with brilliant back catalog and full of enthusiasm to deliver it.

As a long time Lindisfarne fan, I have to agree with you. They still put on a great show. However, putting on my Pedantic hat (on sale at all good clothes shops!) Alan Hull Jr does not exist. The person you are probably referring to is Dave Hull-Denholm, who is Alan's son in law.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: