TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:08:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saving Grace (featuring Robert Plant)  (Read 37621 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2019, 10:13:59 PM »

How was it? Spill! Xx

There was a bit of a discussion on recent gigs, Lorna.  Robert really enjoying himself...tip top band.  Awesome female vocalist.  A very mellow vibe... Low covers, Moby grape covers, lots of Apalachian style stuff.  I Bid you Goodnight.  It was fab.  Others were less impressed I think....
It's all about expectations. Those who expected a bit of head-banging Zep were sorely disappointed.
You don’t even get that in his normal gigs these days!
I hope they bring out an album. I’d definitely buy it

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2019, 11:54:49 PM »

I remember Band of Joy not going down well at Cropredy cos MrPlant wanted todo fairly obtuse 60’s B sides.
People , for reasons I failed to understand, seemed to expect him to do Zeppelin songs.
I was listening to a Space Shifters album today , that I go back to a lot. He has to be admired for not living in the past but always trying new stuff.
As opposed to Jimmy Page bringing out another new edition of a 45 year old album......
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2019, 10:51:12 AM »

Priory of Brion, you mean...? Watching PoB live (saw them 4 times + Cropredy, I think) were some of the best live experiences of my life.  It had already outgrown itself by the time they did Cropredy anyway...I think it may even have been their last performance?

I remember Band of Joy not going down well at Cropredy cos MrPlant wanted todo fairly obtuse 60’s B sides.
People , for reasons I failed to understand, seemed to expect him to do Zeppelin songs.
I was listening to a Space Shifters album today , that I go back to a lot. He has to be admired for not living in the past but always trying new stuff.
As opposed to Jimmy Page bringing out another new edition of a 45 year old album......

And, ps...obtuse?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 11:01:58 AM by davidmjs » Logged

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
spooley (Simon)

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2019, 12:12:13 PM »

Cheese and Grain, Frome Wed May 29th  Smiley

Bugger. Sold out now.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2019, 09:59:24 PM »

How was it? Spill! Xx

There was a bit of a discussion on recent gigs, Lorna.  Robert really enjoying himself...tip top band.  Awesome female vocalist.  A very mellow vibe... Low covers, Moby grape covers, lots of Apalachian style stuff.  I Bid you Goodnight.  It was fab.  Others were less impressed I think....

Thanks, David. I had missed those reviews...thanks for summarising again. Sounds amazing.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2019, 08:36:54 PM »

Here's another Welsh date I hadn't heard of before..https://www.facebook.com/events/2450136008602940/ (very good seats available as I post this)

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2019, 08:54:04 PM »

Here's another Welsh date I hadn't heard of before..https://www.facebook.com/events/2450136008602940/ (very good seats available as I post this)

So near to where I used to live!  Undecided
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2019, 08:56:30 PM »

So near to where I used to live!  Undecided

I can't make it work for me either, sadly...from Dorset to the Hebrides...and everyone wanting to be in Newtown lol...

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2021, 01:37:20 PM »

Some new dates:

Exmouth Pavillion 24th June
Poole Lighthouse 25th June
Black Deer Festival, Kent 25-27 June
Shrewsbury Theatre Severn 29th June

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2021, 10:57:28 AM »

And another

* 185622314_2583775401916609_2144168939109034380_n.jpg (111.78 KB, 843x1185 - viewed 622 times.)

Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2021, 03:47:19 PM »

And another
Hopefully more will be added

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2021, 08:43:29 AM »

And another

Blimey - £32.50 is a bit rich though.

DW
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2021, 08:46:08 AM »

And another

DW

Lol Grin  To see one of the most famous rock singers of all time in a tiny home venue with his latest exquisite band?  You've not been paying attention recently....relative nobody's charge £32.50 a pop these days....and proper stars charge what they want.

Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2021, 08:51:20 AM »

And another

DW

Lol Grin  To see one of the most famous rock singers of all time in a tiny home venue with his latest exquisite band?  You've not been paying attention recently....relative nobody's charge £32.50 a pop these days....and proper stars charge what they want.
I thought it was an absolute bargain!

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2021, 10:10:44 AM »

I must admit that when we saw Robert Plant in Carmarthen in 2019, Wendy and I were unimpressed*. Self-indulgent was the term that came to mind.

I certainly wouldn't be forking out £32.50 per ticket. He's a multi-millionaire and most of the rest of us are definitely not, especially after the last 18 months.

* Others' opinions may differ, of course.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2021, 10:17:29 AM »

I must admit that when we saw Robert Plant in Carmarthen in 2019, Wendy and I were unimpressed*. Self-indulgent was the term that came to mind.

I certainly wouldn't be forking out £32.50 per ticket. He's a multi-millionaire and most of the rest of us are definitely not, especially after the last 18 months.

* Others' opinions may differ, of course.

Horses for courses and all that, but I think yours is about the only negative artistic opinion I've ever heard about Saving Grace (apart perhaps from those who mistakenly go and think it is a Robert Plant gig, which it patently isn't).  I'd be amazed if Percy's making any money out of the venture at all... £32.50 really is not an expensive ticket in 2021 (and I moan a lot about expensive gig tickets).

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2021, 10:53:42 AM »

ps and fwiw, Led Zep tickets in 2007 cost £125 (or £177.36 at 2020 prices).  And Led Zep tickets in 1971 cost £1 (or £14.46 at 2020 prices).  I know this proves precisely nothing  Grin

If anyone wants to get really aerated about ticket prices, go and have a look how much a ticket for Genesis costs  Wink

blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2021, 12:57:15 PM »

ps and fwiw, Led Zep tickets in 2007 cost £125 (or £177.36 at 2020 prices).  And Led Zep tickets in 1971 cost £1 (or £14.46 at 2020 prices).  I know this proves precisely nothing  Grin

If anyone wants to get really aerated about ticket prices, go and have a look how much a ticket for Genesis costs  Wink

... or The Eagles at Wembley just £302 for two tickets without booking fee add-ons
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2021, 01:01:55 PM »

Genesis lack significant original musicians, as do the Eagles. Both expensive for tribute bands.

Mine is not the only negative "Saving Grace" opinion that I have heard, but I know you liked it, so, great for you, David.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2021, 01:14:17 PM »

Buxton: https://buxtonoperahouse.org.uk/event/saving-grace-featuring-robert-plant-suzi-dian?fbclid=IwAR0Bf2_B08c5L77gbFxBnyW3MJyHPo5rCsqEKnCY16zli9oS7nKmiPpuYfk

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: