TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 19, 2024, 04:26:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attendance  (Read 38801 times)
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2018, 02:40:00 PM »

All these various suggestions as to what Cropredy should or shouldn’t be and what it could or couldn’t do to change things....Can it just continue please as I believe most people still enjoy it. I know economics dictate but I don’t think it should be turned into a competition with other festivals

hear hear

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2018, 02:49:13 PM »

All these various suggestions as to what Cropredy should or shouldn’t be and what it could or couldn’t do to change things....Can it just continue please as I believe most people still enjoy it. I know economics dictate but I don’t think it should be turned into a competition with other festivals

*Cough* Discussion forum. *Cough*

Whatever any of us say here will not make one iota of difference to future plans for the festival but surely we are allowed to have the conversation. That is, after all, the point of this place.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2018, 03:06:01 PM »

The comments on what Cropredy's core numbers here are I guess about right. There will always be 10 - 12,000 sold whatever the line up based on Cropredy / Fairport diehards and the Oxfordshire / Northants / Warwickshire population who will attend because they want to go to a festival and it is the nearest. The art is turning that 12,000 into 18,000 with the right line up especially headliners.

It sounds as if this year they didn't quite get it right. Brian Wilson is touring pretty extensively so why go to a fest when you can see him in your backyard? Levellers fans will be going to Beautiful Days which has a pretty stellar line up this year. Other than that there is of course the unknown of the weather, if the warm dry spell had continued I may well have decided on the Thursday morning to throw a tent in the car and make a weekend of it, or even bought a ticket for just the Saturday but not to spend a day getting cold and damp I'm afraid.

I also think the mid bill acts didn't have much draw this year - like them or not Marillion will bring a fan base, equally the likes of Big Country, Saw Doctors, Horslips will add maybe 1,000 or more for Saturday ticket sales in a way the Afro Celts won't.

I certainly wouldn't want to be the one do do all the maths on this though, I hope that despite seemingly low numbers Cropredy bounces back next year better than ever with a line up to bring joy to the heart and the ears.

DW
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2018, 03:06:51 PM »

Whatever any of us say here will not make one iota of difference to future plans for the festival but surely we are allowed to have the conversation. That is, after all, the point of this place.

Yes and all I am doing is making my own point. As you say it is a conversation. Am I not allowed to participate? I’m not telling anyone to stop making suggestions, I’m just saying that I want the festival to continue as I enjoy it

Born to Run (but not very fast)
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2018, 03:14:40 PM »

The year Jools Holland played it was packed on the Thursday but noticeably quieter Friday and Saturday, which suggest people paid in full just to see him. I hate it when the field is so packed you can't move, so quieter the better for me.
We made the disastrous decision to just do the fringes this year. What a failure. It was like licking the sweet shop window and not being allowed in (especially when we were turned away from field 8!). Having said that, I do think the festival is now becoming just another festival and moving away from the Fairport celebration it was meant to be. They compete with far more events throughout the summer than 25 years ago, certainly I don't remember so many festivals going on. If you want to win customers you need the big names, or crowd pleasers...I suggest Kaiser Chiefs, or Simple Minds would do it (for those who want Percy, he is old hat as well these days, the youngsters don't know him...Brian Wislon drew a blank with some of my younger friends)!

He went down well at Bearded the other week, with peeps of all ages as far as I could tell. As did Jimmy Cliff btw, the young 'uns by me were singing along with the crowd-pleasing hits as were the old farts. Ditto the Monkees and Beatles tributes I have seen in recent years.

I think some of these young blighters know a lot more music than we often give them credit for. Video games and films feature all sorts for instance.

I'd be happy with Simple Minds though, haven't seen them since 1984.  Smiley

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2018, 03:32:37 PM »

Yes and all I am doing is making my own point. As you say it is a conversation. Am I not allowed to participate? I’m not telling anyone to stop making suggestions, I’m just saying that I want the festival to continue as I enjoy it

Apologies for misunderstanding your post Chris and fair point but there are clearly a few people here who don't want the conversation to tale place.
Collstoke (Ian)
I'm immortalised in 3D

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent

No longer a virgin

« Reply #66 on: August 15, 2018, 12:45:16 PM »

We had planned to attend our 4th Cropredy this year, and bring along a couple of friends for their first.
But the line up put us off. It's not a cheap weekend, so the bands need to be a big enough draw to make it financially worthwhile.
This year, they weren't even close. Hopefully, next year will be better.
Suzanne
I have their verdicts in writing

"Mum" to Bentley's Ben and Barnaby

« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2018, 05:30:25 PM »

Yet, weirdly, I can recall comments on social media about last year's Festival stating that it was "too folky" and "revolved around Fairport Convention members". Huh Huh  

I have a feeling that any organiser of any Festival is never going to please every single person.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: