TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:06:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moans about traffic and camping  (Read 17795 times)
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« on: August 06, 2018, 09:28:58 PM »

If you want to say how wonderfully it all worked, you can also post.

However I expect it will mostly be negative, until people actually get on the field and have a beer.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Jethro (Derek)

Loc: Cumbria

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 02:58:34 PM »

However I expect it will mostly be negative, until people actually get on the field and have a beer.

Might open a can of worms here, but has the time come to designate specific fields for traditional campers and specific fields for motor homes ?
Tony Smith

Loc: Oxton, Wirral

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 03:15:29 PM »

Might open a can of worms here, but has the time come to designate specific fields for traditional campers and specific fields for motor homes ?

Why?

With thanks to Ueuecoyotl, the Aztec God of Sex and Irresponsible Merrymaking (I've found my deity!!)
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 03:22:21 PM »

Good in theory, however that would be a problem for parties that have a combination of both.

Imponderable Joy
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 09:40:59 AM »

It's that time of year the bloke who hates Talkawhile, and all you happy talkawhiler campers for organising the convoy that ruins the whole thing for him, comes on frothing at the mouth. So watch out for him, he's probably working himself up in a lather again.

Edit: Just in case you are new here, there is no TAW convoy. We're cool. Colin

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 12:36:42 PM »

Might open a can of worms here

Each to their own. I'll stick with the beer.
Jethro (Derek)

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 09:16:14 PM »

Why?

Because with the ever increasing numbers of motor homes arriving at the festival each year (or so it seems) it sometimes feels like you're camping in a motor home car park, not a farmers field in Oxfordshire. I have no problem, I hasten to add, with people having motor homes, I just prefer not to be surrounded by them.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 09:39:23 PM »

I have often thought some folks take the pee with camping being paid per vehicle. I remember a few years ago I and a friend travelled in one car, two small tents and next to us a full seven seater, trailer tent, roof box with three other tents, gazebo etc etc. It seemed we had got the short straw for sure.

DW
Jethro (Derek)

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 10:35:01 PM »

Might open a can of worms here

Each to their own. I'll stick with the beer.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Grin !
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 10:56:46 PM »

Why?
I was going to ask the same! It wouldn’t work for those in convoy.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Jethro (Derek)

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 11:13:31 PM »

Why?
I was going to ask the same! It wouldn’t work for those in convoy.

Fair point. Ok, I'll re-phrase slightly. Has the time come to designate a field as camping only ? Those who wish to camp near their motor home friends, or are arriving in convoy, can, but those who would prefer not to camp in a motor home car park have the option of at least one tents only field.
iandiddams

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 11:33:50 AM »

I have often thought some folks take the pee with camping being paid per vehicle. I remember a few years ago I and a friend travelled in one car, two small tents and next to us a full seven seater, trailer tent, roof box with three other tents, gazebo etc etc. It seemed we had got the short straw for sure.

DW

That's just the outcome of the pricing policy though. What else are a mh owning family of six with kids under the age of driving to do?

I'm not saying the policy is right or wrong per se, but of you instead price per tent, the situation will arise where a family with early to mid teen kids of both sexrs will end up being priced out.

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 12:28:01 PM »

I agree they need to re-look at youth pricing. To go at age 12 from free to adult is a big hit that prevent families with teenagers from attending. Maybe 50% from 11-16?

Oh, with using the Deliveries entrance for fields 1/2 worked really well in keeping Williamscot Road moving well yesterday. Ok, some arriving early again forced an early opening, but no one got sent past the field they wanted until they were full.

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 07:30:38 PM »

Much better than last year. Traffic seemed to moving much quicker and we got to field 2 nice and quickly. It’s also been reasonably quiet so I got a fab nights sleep too. I seem to remember the sound of Wham drifting over from field 8 as I nodded off.... zzzz

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
richardkendell

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2018, 02:26:50 PM »

All worked very well for me. No queue on the access road, sensible parking directions on the camp site. Same next year please.
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2018, 02:30:26 PM »

No negatives from me, really easy arrival.  Well done organisers.
Sue & Chris

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 02:31:15 PM »

All pretty good - no real queues in or out. I do think they should revisit the space provided though. This seems to have barely changed in the last 25 years, yet the size of tents has grown massively. What worked okay for a couple of dome tents doesn't really work for todays multiroom extravaganzas.
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 02:36:32 PM »

If nothing else, it proved that much is down to chance. We were delayed by 1 1/2 hours because of a missing contact lens (don’t ask) and then for 30 mins by traffic. Arrived at 2.15 only to find no queue, straight into the field and then the best pitch we have ever had, opposite the loos in 7b with lovely neighbours from Germany. Tent went up in a trice and not far to walk. Suppose it was because of the attendance but really the pitch is all down to luck.

Loos on campsite were excellent- always stocked and clean.
PhilipK

Loc: Hampshire, UK

Looking forward to Cropredy 2024...

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2018, 02:49:10 PM »

No problems getting in (Wednesday just after 13:00) or leaving (although we chickened out because of the rain and left at around 20:00 last night, so not surprising that there were no queues).

Never had to queue more than a few moments for the loos, and they were always clean and supplied with paper and handwash. Big kudos to the people who looked after them.

--
Philip
iandiddams

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2018, 04:00:33 PM »

In field 5 there were three male sit download loos for the entire field. Always a wait for a sit down.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: