TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:22:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Have RT's UK promoters overestimated?  (Read 17736 times)
Gareth (GWR71)

« on: July 29, 2018, 01:08:13 AM »

I'm going to RT's Southend gig in October. When I booked, which was about a month after the tickets went on sale, there was still huge availability.

Earlier this evening I thought I'd look again, and the situation has barely changed. Without a major push, RT will be playing to a Cliffs Pavilion that isn't even half full. The central stalls are 90% sold, but everything else is just a sea of available seats.

Is this down to promoters booking him into too large a venue, or asking too much for tickets (top price £39), or a combination of both?
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 10:04:07 AM »

That's very expensive. He's playing locally for the first time ever on this tour but as I will be seeing him at Shrewsbury , I'm opting to see Baskery at the local folk club. Never thought I'd miss that chance!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 08:45:17 PM »

I'm going to RT's Southend gig in October. When I booked, which was about a month after the tickets went on sale, there was still huge availability.

Earlier this evening I thought I'd look again, and the situation has barely changed. Without a major push, RT will be playing to a Cliffs Pavilion that isn't even half full. The central stalls are 90% sold, but everything else is just a sea of available seats.

Is this down to promoters booking him into too large a venue, or asking too much for tickets (top price £39), or a combination of both?

or.....people from Southend and surrounding towns have never heard of him?!  Cheesy

Ticket prices are a bit steep I must admit, but that's Thompson prices!!

I'll be there!!  Wink

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 09:12:33 PM »

or.....people from Southend and surrounding towns have never heard of him?!  Cheesy

Ticket prices are a bit steep I must admit, but that's Thompson prices!!

I'll be there!!  Wink

Thompson prices have effectively doubled in about 3 or 4 years.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 12:38:36 AM »

Thompson prices have effectively doubled in about 3 or 4 years.

Must be feeling the pinch.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 08:09:28 AM »

Didn't RT a while ago say words to the effect of "When I'm 70 I'll be classified as a living legend and I can double my fee" ?

He's 69 now, so a bit premature, but...
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 11:29:33 AM »

Didn't RT a while ago say words to the effect of "When I'm 70 I'll be classified as a living legend and I can double my fee" ?

He's 69 now, so a bit premature, but...

He's clearly started thinking about his pension.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 05:06:29 PM »

Just had a look at the Opera House in Manchester and whilst the stalls are selling reasonably well, there are hardly any tickets sold in the circle or gallery.

I'll be honest I'm not a fan of the Opera House and then £40+ for tickets the Sunday of the Manchester Folk Festival kind of made the decision for me - For the first time in ages I won't be seeing RT on a UK tour.

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2018, 05:43:55 PM »

Just had a look at the Opera House in Manchester and whilst the stalls are selling reasonably well, there are hardly any tickets sold in the circle or gallery.

I'll be honest I'm not a fan of the Opera House and then £40+ for tickets the Sunday of the Manchester Folk Festival kind of made the decision for me - For the first time in ages I won't be seeing RT on a UK tour.

£20 is plenty, £40 is not - not bothered this year.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 10:24:25 PM »

Over five years gone since RT played in my town, after years of regular visits.  Sad

Someone said he has a new U.S. promoter, who's been getting him lucrative opening slots with Bonnie Raitt and Jason Isbell in lieu of headlining tours.
sirspens (John)

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2018, 11:25:56 PM »

Weeelllll..... i feel that tonight I just got great value from RT with his band for my £32.50, to see him outdoors at Gawsworth Hall- brilliant show,brilliant location,a real gem--- those prices pale into insignificance beside the prices for "big" acts with a fraction of the talent..........................
Gareth (GWR71)

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2018, 02:06:31 PM »

those prices pale into insignificance beside the prices for "big" acts with a fraction of the talent

But with so many tickets left unsold in more than one venue, someone somewhere has miscalculated either the size of the venues or the price of the tickets or both.

I remember when Roger Waters toured the UK in 2003, for the first time since 1987 (I think), I paid under £40 to sit in the centre of the third row at a packed Wembley Arena.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 05:31:55 PM »

those prices pale into insignificance beside the prices for "big" acts with a fraction of the talent

But with so many tickets left unsold in more than one venue, someone somewhere has miscalculated either the size of the venues or the price of the tickets or both.

I remember when Roger Waters toured the UK in 2003, for the first time since 1987 (I think), I paid under £40 to sit in the centre of the third row at a packed Wembley Arena.

It's easy to forget inflation, even in a relatively stable economic era (cough).  £40 in 2003 is £61.42 now.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2018, 05:46:50 PM »

A friend of mine isn't complaining...

Great concert from Richard Thompson at Gawsworth Hall last night . . . then managed to speak to him at breakfast this morning. Amazing, he was staying at the same country inn near the venue. One very large tick off my bucket list!

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 07:39:45 AM »

A friend of mine isn't complaining...

Great concert from Richard Thompson at Gawsworth Hall last night . . . then managed to speak to him at breakfast this morning. Amazing, he was staying at the same country inn near the venue. One very large tick off my bucket list!

Was your friend charged for the conversation?   Grin

No Left Turn Unstoned
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 12:19:34 PM »

I have a ticket for Southend too. His US management seem to think that the price in $ over there equates to £ prices here....

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2018, 03:32:50 PM »

Review of RT @ Gawsworth in today's Observer https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/aug/12/richard-thompson-review-gawsworth-hall-macclesfield

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2018, 05:52:10 PM »

Really looking forward now....great set it seems

Gareth (GWR71)

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 12:29:35 AM »

And with a bit over a month to go, the ticket situation hasn't changed. The Cliffs Pavilion isn't even going to be half full, unless there's a massive push on local radio etc very soon.
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 12:32:38 AM »

I just saw the video from SFF and he closed with a cover of The Sorrows' "Take A Heart" and it was pure magic.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: