TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:21:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clinton Heylin Fairport Biography  (Read 72822 times)
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #60 on: June 16, 2018, 08:20:40 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqjL0fz5wk4&t=350s

Clinton Heylin interviewing John Wood (35 minutes) whilst promoting the book.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2018, 01:11:34 PM »

Still, I learnt a great deal, especially about Ashley, actually.  It rather changed my opinion of him.

Intriguing. Positively or negatively?

(Or should I just read the book?? ☺)

Positively, definitely - I've always thought I didn't like the bloke at all.  I hadn't understood quite how affected by the crash he was....

Richard, on the other hand, despite Heylin's (and obviously justified) hero worship doesn't come out of the story quite as brightly as he has been painted in the past.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #62 on: June 16, 2018, 01:48:25 PM »

Richard, on the other hand, despite Heylin's (and obviously justified) hero worship doesn't come out of the story quite as brightly as he has been painted in the past.

Intrigue, intrigue....

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #63 on: June 16, 2018, 02:15:49 PM »

One other small thing - am I the only person that thinks the title is dreadful and doesn't make any sense at all?  

God, you should hear me when I don't like a book....  Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2018, 02:28:40 PM »

One other small thing - am I the only person that thinks the title is dreadful and doesn't make any sense at all?  

God, you should hear me when I don't like a book....  Grin

It is a clunky title  Roll Eyes

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
mightyglydd
An electric train freak should have no problems

Loc: Hollywood California

« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2018, 05:12:22 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqjL0fz5wk4&t=350s

Clinton Heylin interviewing John Wood (35 minutes) whilst promoting the book.

Thanks, nice to hear from John, put a smile on my face.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2018, 12:36:49 PM »

The most surprising thing about this book is (spoiler in case people don't want to know)

Which I find a bit weird... Shocked

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2018, 01:49:27 PM »

The most surprising thing about this book is (spoiler in case people don't want to know)

And in reality, he rather gives up on the history of the band themselves c.76 being much more interested in (mainly) R&L & Sandy, but also a bit of Iain and Ashley as well.  I dunno...he's clearly no fan of the post-85 band.  And (arguably) there is less to write about them really.  A quick flick at the contents page makes it clear what you're getting (I think), even if the title (I keep shaking my head at it every time I look at the book) doesn't.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2018, 01:58:23 PM »

FREE COPY  Smiley

Ok, due to the publishers sending me a damaged copy (it has bumps to the corners..if you're not anal about it and just want the words, then all good...if you are, move along now) and then a replacement copy soon afterwards, I've got a gratis copy of the Heylin book (signed) to give to someone who couldn't otherwise afford it.  Just drop me a line privately, and I'll choose a recipient in a day or two.  I'm also putting this offer out to those on Fairporters (Facebook).

UK Only, I'm afraid.

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2018, 03:02:52 PM »

...and, for that reason, I’m out.  Fez

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Simon Withers

« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2018, 05:42:43 PM »

n

The canny lad is possibly going to do the Fairport history in two parts…then produce it a single volume ‘Coffee Table’ edition…with amendments! …long term strategy perhaps…as the history continues... Wink
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2018, 05:54:43 PM »

n

The canny lad is possibly going to do the Fairport history in two parts…then produce it a single volume ‘Coffee Table’ edition…with amendments! …long term strategy perhaps…as the history continues... Wink

I don't even think he really likes the more modern material of the members of Fairport he does rate, so I rate that unlikely!

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2018, 06:00:09 PM »

...and, for that reason, I’m out.  Fez

I guess Cropredy goes well and they played Leamington Spa lacks drama?
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2018, 07:35:12 PM »

n

Have you not read the Woodworm Years, possibly the dullest book ever written.
Let's face it, all the really interesting stuff happened in the early years. I can't think he will do a sequel unless someone offers him a whole heap of cash.

The Dude abides
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2018, 09:37:04 PM »

Let's face it, all the really interesting stuff happened in the early years.

Methinks there's a book in the last three decades, but I don't think we need to read it.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2018, 09:45:50 PM »

Oh I dunno, the Swarb feuds would at least be an interesting addendum.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2018, 12:43:55 AM »

Describing this book as a "stunning new biography from one of the leading rock historians in the world" sounds just a tad over the top, especially since it only covers 15 out of 51 years of the band. If you wrote a biography of almost anyone that stopped at 15 you'd be left with totally false expectations for what happened next.

I haven't read it and can't say I'm bothered to do so. I should say that I found "Fairport by Fairport" sufficiently unexciting that I read it and sold it on immediately. There was enough left out of that book to leave some gaping holes.

I read Jude's book (buy it here) with enthusiasm, so much so that I bought another copy to give to my sister, the only other book in this area I've found informative was the unpublished "No Thought Of Leaving - A Life Of Sandy Denny" by Pamela Murray Winters. Occasionally very frank, but that shouldn't put anyone off if you can blag a copy somewhere.

[attachment deleted by admin]

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2018, 06:46:32 AM »

Only my own personal opinion, but I think if some of you "I don't want to read its" actually read it you would learn something and enjoy the ride (annoying as it sometimes is).  Having a biography of an artist's (or a group's) main creative period is certainly not the crime some of you seem to suggest it is...it happens all the time. Tbh, I'd rather that than the usual one chapter 'and then this happened (in the next 40 years)' summation in many biographies!

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2018, 08:01:09 AM »

I agree with many of the points raised by m’learned friends, however I would very much be interested in the era when a presumed mainstay of the band leaves in a huff, the band are effectively barred from touring America, the principal festival backer sells up and moves to France, the drummer swears he’ll never set foot on the Cropredy stage again, and the replacement fiddle player puts his hand through a plate glass window leading to his temporary replacement with a potential replacement. And that’s without the labyrinthine series of record deals involved.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 08:12:19 AM by Shane (Skirky) » Logged

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2018, 06:25:58 PM »

I agree with many of the points raised by m’learned friends, however I would very much be interested in the era when a presumed mainstay of the band leaves in a huff, the band are effectively barred from touring America, the principal festival backer sells up and moves to France, the drummer swears he’ll never set foot on the Cropredy stage again, and the replacement fiddle player puts his hand through a plate glass window leading to his temporary replacement with a potential replacement. And that’s without the labyrinthine series of record deals involved.

Lol.  The Woodworm Years really is rubbish, isn't it?   Grin

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: