TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 25, 2024, 02:19:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport at 50 on Radio 2  (Read 33111 times)
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« on: March 29, 2017, 11:00:37 AM »

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but tonight (29 March) Radio 2 will be broadcasting Fairport at 50 at 10.00pm

Born to Run (but not very fast)
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 11:38:43 AM »

Thanks for the heads up.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 12:49:17 PM »

Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere but tonight (29 March) Radio 2 will be broadcasting Fairport at 50 at 10.00pm

Jude has mentioned it on f book but there seems to have been little pre publicity, ie ads on radio 2.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 12:50:10 PM »

Jude has mentioned it on f book but there seems to have been little pre publicity, ie ads on radio 2.
Apart from Simon Nicol on the Breakfast programmes "On This Day" slot this morning.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 12:59:29 PM »

Apart from Simon Nicol on the Breakfast programmes "On This Day" slot this morning.

Thanks Andy missed that but I have just sent e mails to Jeremy Vine and Simon Mayo. Will probably make no difference but hey ho!
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 03:01:50 PM »

Yes I mentioned it here on the Radio Times bit. Where no-one looks obviously  Roll Eyes
http://www.talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?topic=44227.0

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 03:58:19 PM »

Yes I mentioned it here on the Radio Times bit. Where no-one looks obviously  Roll Eyes

Sorry Jude didn't see your earlier post but at least some of us are now informed  Wink

Born to Run (but not very fast)
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2017, 04:18:29 PM »

That would seem to be the case. Whoops!😱
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2017, 07:11:46 PM »

Radcliffe has just given it a good heads up and played Mariners All off 50/50 @50
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 11:15:19 PM »

Thanks for all the reminders. I got a couple by text too. And still forgot to listen to it!  Embarrassed
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 11:21:45 PM »

A nice little piece,obviously sketchy in less than an hour but I enjoyed it. Fez

Happy mainly.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 11:29:17 PM »

A nice little piece,obviously sketchy in less than an hour but I enjoyed it. Fez

Yep I agree. Lots I could say ......but I won't.
45 mins on the band 67 to 71, no mention of 71 to 78, jump from Expletive Delighted to 97 , sums up Bobs view of the band I think but some nice bits re Chris's songwriting from Mc Tell.
The trouble is most of us know that history so well..........I enjoyed it but not sure what I was expecting.
You came across really well Jude!
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 12:03:20 AM »

45 mins on the band 67 to 71, no mention of 71 to 78, jump from Expletive Delighted to 97 , sums up Bobs view of the band I think but some nice bits re Chris's songwriting from Mc Tell.
The trouble is most of us know that history so well..........I enjoyed it but not sure what I was expecting.

on here but not the wider general audience... I thought it was OK if not a little underplayed?
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 12:06:58 AM »

We (TalkAWhilers, other Fairport followers and anyone familiar with the band) weren't the intended audience, that was clear. As such, a nice little piece.

hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2017, 12:26:17 AM »

We (TalkAWhilers, other Fairport followers and anyone familiar with the band) weren't the intended audience, that was clear. As such, a nice little piece.

Completely agree Andy.
I think I was expecting  Fairport at 50, ie a view of where they are now .
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 07:54:56 AM »

Completely agree Andy.

"Oh the bus rolls on" is where they are now!

No Left Turn Unstoned
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 09:10:09 AM »

The fact that the first 45 mins only got us as far as 1971 mirrors a lot of the recent discussions on this board.
I was disappointed that there was nothing on the Nine lineup, but I enjoyed the programme for what it was

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 09:41:11 AM »

Lots of inaccuracies, and it's Ric Sanders not Saunders (a schoolboy error from Whispering Bob).  I know they only had an hour, and I'm glad the programme was made, but the 45th anniversary TV documentary (for all its faults) narrated by Frank Skinner served the band far better.

Funny, you'd think it would be the other way round - 45th anniversary gets a radio show, 50th anniversary gets a TV show, must be something to do with austerity  Wink

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2017, 09:50:23 AM »

Completely agree Andy.

"Oh the bus rolls on" is where they are now!

Well, quite. If you're going to make a three quarter of an hour programme which rounds up the group's history up to 1971, why not call it 'Fairport at Five' and then spend 15 minutes talking about the new album?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2017, 10:46:58 AM »

I've just listened to it again (Get_iPlayer is your friend) and I'm even more puzzled as to the intended audience for this programme. It can't be for the old fans, we know all that 1967-71 stuff, don't we? No stunning revelations there. Would any newbie want to hear about 1967-71 to the exclusion of most of 1971-1997?

It starts off with "Meet On The Ledge", segues into "Interstellar Overdrive" by Pink Floyd and flounders thereafter. The interviewees are occasionally cogent and relevant (our Jude for instance) but others appear to be there for reasons of fame (Percy). Gerry Conway merely got a passing comment (and no interview) despite his great contribution over the years, Maart was glossed over in several ways and not interviewed, there's plenty of Swarb interviews in the vault that could have been sampled. Even Simon was, I felt, featured sparingly (the recording was a bit odd, or was that my ears?). Ashley hasn't been in the band ofr 45 years, so getting him to pronounce on their future at the end of the programme - which it was said several times will never feature personnel changes again - was bizarre.

It was, I'm afraid, stunningly incomplete and lightweight.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: