TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:21:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport at 50 on Radio 2  (Read 33069 times)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2017, 11:17:30 AM »

Ashley hasn't been in the band ofr 45 years, so getting him to pronounce on their future at the end of the programme - which it was said several times will never feature personnel changes again - was bizarre.

Was that Ashley's opinion, or backed up by band members? So if one (God forbid!) follows Jerry D's medical episode, that'll be it?

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2017, 11:19:07 AM »

Many Floyd books have a similar slant. About a third of the pages are dedicated to the Syd Years, out of proportion to his time in the group, and most albums get a brief mention or get missed completely until Dark Side Of The Moon.
 I guess the formative years are important obviously, but it would turn into 'and then they did another album, went on tour, somebody left, they did another album, went on tour again, everybody left...they didn't do another album for ages, but then did and went on tour again and nobody left for quite a while...'
 Too much history for an hour, so they chopped out the repetitive bits.

I guess Ashley was asked about the future of the band because it was his band in the beginning.

Well I never did..
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2017, 11:22:37 AM »

Andy - it was a Whisperin' Bob production for the BBC, so probably had no access to those Swarb interviews.

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2017, 11:24:52 AM »

As with history @ school , I found it quite interesting, but I just don't have the sort of mind to remember a lot of facts. So it was ideal for me - -I'm a fan, but a lot of the stuff wasn't overfamiliar.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2017, 11:38:12 AM »

Ashley hasn't been in the band ofr 45 years, so getting him to pronounce on their future at the end of the programme - which it was said several times will never feature personnel changes again - was bizarre.

Was that Ashley's opinion, or backed up by band members? So if one (God forbid!) follows Jerry D's medical episode, that'll be it?
Not backed by band members AFAIR, but Ralph McTell and Chris While said it too and possibly Percy. I'd have to check again

Andy - it was a Whisperin' Bob production for the BBC, so probably had no access to those Swarb interviews.
You could well be right, but still, sad, eh?

Many Floyd books have a similar slant. About a third of the pages are dedicated to the Syd Years, out of proportion to his time in the group, and most albums get a brief mention or get missed completely until Dark Side Of The Moon.
 I guess the formative years are important obviously, but it would turn into 'and then they did another album, went on tour, somebody left, they did another album, went on tour again, everybody left...they didn't do another album for ages, but then did and went on tour again and nobody left for quite a while...'
Too much history for an hour, so they chopped out the repetitive bits.
Well, Simon's 1971 departure and subsequent 5 year absence were ignored, I would have thought that was significant enough to note.

Hey, like I said, if the audience for this was identified and satisfied, then that's dandy. I just found it a bit fluffy.

Incidentally I still have the 2004 Radio 4 programme about Fairport and Cropredy and it's really quite good! Input from fans, too.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Bingers (Chris)
Day saved by donated doughnuts
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Essex

Trying to be young!

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2017, 11:51:30 AM »

Well I enjoyed the programme anyway!

On a slightly different subject, is anyone going to the Royal Albert Hall next week for the Radio 2 Folk Awards?  I'll be there again and very much looking forward to it

Born to Run (but not very fast)
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2017, 11:53:37 AM »

I've just listened to it again (Get_iPlayer is your friend) and I'm even more puzzled as to the intended audience for this programme. It can't be for the old fans, we know all that 1967-71 stuff, don't we? No stunning revelations there. Would any newbie want to hear about 1967-71 to the exclusion of most of 1971-1997?

It starts off with "Meet On The Ledge", segues into "Interstellar Overdrive" by Pink Floyd and flounders thereafter. The interviewees are occasionally cogent and relevant (our Jude for instance) but others appear to be there for reasons of fame (Percy). Gerry Conway merely got a passing comment (and no interview) despite his great contribution over the years, Maart was glossed over in several ways and not interviewed, there's plenty of Swarb interviews in the vault that could have been sampled. Even Simon was, I felt, featured sparingly (the recording was a bit odd, or was that my ears?). Ashley hasn't been in the band ofr 45 years, so getting him to pronounce on their future at the end of the programme - which it was said several times will never feature personnel changes again - was bizarre.

It was, I'm afraid, stunningly incomplete and lightweight.

Yep, I 'm going to have another listen.
However I think there is little point in criting it,so I will, it was a bit like the book ,a lot of inaccuracies.
Timescales were odd, it seemed to imply that Chris. joined the band when Ric cut a tendon!
As Bill said, no mention of 9 line up and more importantly , for me, no mention of John Babbacombe Lee  , which in some ways is more of a milestone than Liege and Lief ( Discuss.......ok don't Grin)
Did Sandy die? Did Trevor ever exist.? What happened to DM? Why did Marrtt ( who is apparently a multi instrumentalist, cos they told me 5 times, ( it`s a guess don't check!)) leave. Why did DM leave etc.
There was brief mention of the deliberate (?) change in style when Chris joined, I would have like more on that etc etc
I am sure I am perceived as one of those who favour early versions of the band but even I found it odd that 67 to 69 took 40 minutes ( focussed on a lineup that lasted 6 months) while a lineup that has lasted for 20 years got 5 minutes and part of that was Cropredy based.
Anyway it was Bobs view of the band and he is probably still happiest in 67 to 69.
It was light, it had to get a lot into an hour but Andy L has made me think who the audience was?
Glad I listened though.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2017, 11:57:26 AM »

On a slightly different subject, is anyone going to the Royal Albert Hall next week for the Radio 2 Folk Awards?  I'll be there again and very much looking forward to it

Would love to. Tickets still available according to Radcliffe last night. Unfortunately I am just not mobile enough yet!
Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2017, 12:02:43 PM »

Would love to. Tickets still available according to Radcliffe last night. Unfortunately I am just not mobile enough yet!

Hi Dave shame but it will be broadcast live online (not sure if it is on the red button as well though). Will be well worth a listen with Ry Cooder and Al Stewart amongst others playing live

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2017, 12:21:01 PM »

John Babbacombe Lee  , which in some ways is more of a milestone than Liege and Lief

Dave...I think I love you.  Kiss
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2017, 12:26:28 PM »

John Babbacombe Lee  , which in some ways is more of a milestone than Liege and Lief

Dave...I think I love you.  Kiss

That's ,some ways...... Roll Eyes Grin

hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2017, 12:42:04 PM »

Chris, it's on red button.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2017, 01:41:10 PM »

I'll be there

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2017, 02:10:52 PM »

"Chris [Leslie] proved to be the final piece in the Fairport Jigsaw...Ralph McTell agrees that this is the lineup that'll take them into the future" says Bob.
Really ? After nearly 20 years together ?

Agree with Chris and Andy, is this it, then, if something happens to one of them or someone leaves ?
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2017, 02:16:08 PM »

I'll be there

And me....

Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2017, 02:18:12 PM »

Sorry, curmudgeon alert. Can the Folk Awards have its own thread, please ?
This is about Fairport at 50 on Radio 2
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2017, 02:20:09 PM »

I think it already has....splitting/merging when some Mod has the time

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2017, 02:26:50 PM »

*the phone rings at Broadcasting House*
Whisperin' Bob; Hey, I can do you an hour on Fairport Convention
Radio 2 Commissioning Editor: Who?
WB: Fairport - you remember, big in the Sixties, folk-rock, all that stuff.
R2CE; The British Jefferson Airplane..?
WB: That's them.
R2CE; I don't know - I mean is there any interest beyond the Summer of Love nostalgists? Is there a big anniversary coming up or anything?
WB; We could throw it into Folk Week?
R2CE; Oh, go on then - usual rates?
WB; Sure.
R2CE; Have the flash drive on my desk next week
WB: Oh god - it won't take that long...
*fade*

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2017, 02:29:03 PM »

Not even flash drive?....upload down the wire onto BBC drive....

Bingers (Chris)
Folkcorp Guru

Trying to be young!

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2017, 02:40:58 PM »

Sorry, curmudgeon alert. Can the Folk Awards have its own thread, please ?
This is about Fairport at 50 on Radio 2

God I know everyone has their right to comment but this site is rapidly turning into a moaners paradise

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: