TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:08:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Your Favourite Song 1967 - 79  (Voting closed: March 11, 2017, 10:26:43 AM)
Now Be Thankful - 15.6%
A Sailor's Life - 14.8%
One More Chance - 10.2%
Meet On The Ledge - 18.8%
Tam Lin - 18.8%
Genesis Hall - 21.9%

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport @ 50 Vote - Song 1967 - 79  (Read 14032 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« on: March 05, 2017, 10:26:43 AM »

I am devastated that Sloth didn't make the cut and astonished that Who Knows Where The Time Goes was not even nominated but here you go.

Two votes each.

Poll closes lunchtime on Friday.
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 01:07:39 PM »

I'm minded to say that Ledge should have been excluded, its popularity can be pretty much taken as read.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 01:12:32 PM »

I'm minded to say that Ledge should have been excluded, its popularity can be pretty much taken as read.

Yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is people's favourite.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 01:24:33 PM »

Yes, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is people's favourite.
Indeed

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 02:05:14 PM »

To me I would never vote for Meet on the Ledge as much in the vein of Goodbye English Rose it has developed a Dewey eyed nostalgia which to me was never intended when it was originally composed, but at the same time songs have their own lives once they are released onto the ears of fans.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 02:10:03 PM »

To me I would never vote for Meet on the Ledge as much in the vein of Goodbye English Rose it has developed a Dewey eyed nostalgia which to me was never intended when it was originally composed, but at the same time songs have their own lives once they are released onto the ears of fans.

I listened to the original just a few minutes ago.  One would never, could never, have imagined what it would become from that.  I followed it with the bombastic 'as subtle as a brick' version from '87 which became so familiar to us from the live version over the years.  It's a very different beast indeed... Horses for courses and all that, but I know what's being played at my funeral....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 02:41:42 PM »

I listened to the original just a few minutes ago.  One would never, could never, have imagined what it would become from that.  I followed it with the bombastic 'as subtle as a brick' version from '87 which became so familiar to us from the live version over the years.  It's a very different beast indeed... Horses for courses and all that, but I know what's being played at my funeral....

Living In A Box?
richardkendell

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 03:00:09 PM »

Living In A Box?

Always fancied Farewell, Farewell myself. I suppose we could have another poll on best funeral songs!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 03:03:15 PM »

I know what's being played at my funeral....

Living In A Box?

Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 05:03:50 PM »

Living In A Box?
Eh? (It's my surname!)

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 07:33:01 PM »

Living In A Box?
Eh? (It's my surname!)

I knew you were BB, but I thought the surname was Bardot?  Wink

No Left Turn Unstoned
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2017, 12:14:03 AM »

Living In A Box?
Eh? (It's my surname!)

I knew you were BB, but I thought the surname was Bardot?  Wink
Heh heh Si seulement!

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 01:10:56 PM »

Possibly a surprise winner here.
Greg E

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2017, 01:23:57 PM »

Its where my vote went so happy with that. As a relative 'outsider' (compared to the big Fairport fans here) it is a track that has always stood out for me as a classic across any genre.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2017, 02:14:36 PM »

yep, my vote is in there too, and no surprise to me that it won either.

Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2017, 03:38:31 PM »

A worthy winner, one of my favourites, tomorrow I might choose something different, but there is no doubting the quality of this song.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2017, 05:50:12 PM »

I'm gobsmacked that Genesis Hall won.  I like it fine, but it's never stood out for me as a toweringly great song.  Not like Now Be Thankful which should have won.   Smiley

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2017, 11:52:25 AM »

Is there any particular reason why Fotheringay didn't make the final list? I see that 2 or 3 people mentioned it on the nominations thread.

I was a bit surprised that nobody mentioned Matty Groves or Walk Awhile but it could be that they fall into the same category as Who Knows... that yes we all love those songs but they do get played to death a bit.

I think it's quite refreshing that a song like Genesis Hall won the vote. Wonder what the odds would have been of it winning?

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2017, 12:15:41 PM »

Is there any particular reason why Fotheringay didn't make the final list? I see that 2 or 3 people mentioned it on the nominations thread.

Can't remember now. I did a rough tally of how many nominations each song got and then used my own judgement as I always said I would. Pretty sure Fotheringay did not get as many nominations as the songs above.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2017, 12:33:14 PM »

Can't remember now. I did a rough tally of how many nominations each song got and then used my own judgement as I always said I would. Pretty sure Fotheringay did not get as many nominations as the songs above.

Fair enough. And looking at the other thread I see someone did mention Matty G.

All just a bit of fun, init?  Smiley

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: