TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:40:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jerry Donahue  (Read 144228 times)
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #120 on: July 19, 2017, 07:47:20 PM »

A further note - we will be selling Jerry Donahue T-shirts at the Festival Merchandise Emporium over the Cropredy weekend with ALL money going to Jerry's Sweet Relief page. The Festival will pay for the manufacture and cover the dreaded VAT so every penny you spend will go straight to Jerry.
Bring one less T-shirt folks - you won't need it!

I suspect there will be plenty of takers for these.

Happy mainly.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2017, 08:54:28 PM »

Or even a couple of shirts!

dooovall [Daniel]

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2017, 11:39:38 PM »

At least twice per week, I pop in a CD or three featuring Jerry working magic on his guitar, and I spend part of my listening time visualizing JD healing and growing stronger.  I sincerely believe in the power of mass consciousness and encourage others who appreciate this man's music to take a moment to send some healing energy through the universe.  I haven't listened to NINE so often in many years, and I appreciate so much of those songs & tunes anew.  Rising for the Moon gets a lot of plays too -- and recordings of live performances with JD doing wonders on his fretboard.
Paul B

« Reply #123 on: July 20, 2017, 08:50:19 AM »

A further note - we will be selling Jerry Donahue T-shirts at the Festival Merchandise Emporium over the Cropredy weekend with ALL money going to Jerry's Sweet Relief page. The Festival will pay for the manufacture and cover the dreaded VAT so every penny you spend will go straight to Jerry.
Bring one less T-shirt folks - you won't need it!

Excellent -for those not attending, how do we order one? thanks
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #124 on: July 22, 2017, 02:06:20 PM »

Reading through this I came up with a couple of ideas..

i) wouldn't it be nice if sometime on Saturday daytime the cameras were turned to the full crowd and the crowd asked to stand and shout out in unison to Jerry... and the video of that could be relayed to him.

ii) somewhere in the field, at the merch stall, or in the ticket tents, there could be message books for signing, where people could give their thoughts, tales, greetings and best wishes to Jerry. Online messages are one thing, but imagine Jerry getting real paper books with thousands of handwritten personal messages - would have to be good for his spirits.

Just a thought...

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2017, 07:34:06 PM »

Reading through this I came up with a couple of ideas..

i) wouldn't it be nice if sometime on Saturday daytime the cameras were turned to the full crowd and the crowd asked to stand and shout out in unison to Jerry... and the video of that could be relayed to him.

ii) somewhere in the field, at the merch stall, or in the ticket tents, there could be message books for signing, where people could give their thoughts, tales, greetings and best wishes to Jerry. Online messages are one thing, but imagine Jerry getting real paper books with thousands of handwritten personal messages - would have to be good for his spirits.

Just a thought...

Nice idea.
Not to put too much of a downer on it, but I wonder, however, how much of his cognitive abilities are intact. It sounds as if the damage is so bad that it is likely he won't be able to read. I remember she said he had global aphasia, which means that his understanding and his speech are very badly affected. (Aphasia in its truest sense means 'no Language'  Cry. Dysphasia is partial loss)

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
StephenB
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #126 on: July 23, 2017, 12:25:14 AM »

Well the way I see it, if it's done it's done, but if it's not, the chance is lost. Even if it can't be fully appreciated in the near future it will be there for posterity. I'm sure it would also be a great boost for the family, and it would also give his many fans some way of channelling their support and positive energy, for those who are into that kind of thing.

Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #127 on: July 23, 2017, 06:52:23 AM »

A few years ago, I think it was either Danny Thompson or Jonah  were in hospital, and the whole field sang Happy Birthday into the stage mike. With the miracles of modern technology and the benefit of the UK/California time difference, could the Field be beamed in to him? A suitable phrase, chant or whatever to call his name?
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #128 on: July 23, 2017, 11:59:59 AM »

Well the way I see it, if it's done it's done, but if it's not, the chance is lost. Even if it can't be fully appreciated in the near future it will be there for posterity. I'm sure it would also be a great boost for the family, and it would also give his many fans some way of channelling their support and positive energy, for those who are into that kind of thing.

Agreed

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #129 on: July 23, 2017, 05:34:36 PM »

I support  all the ideas and initiatives coming forward.  Jerry has been and still is a great innovator and example to many of us.
I was fortunate to see his performance at New Forest FF in 2016.
Don't forget the Dylan Project Fotheringay Concert 13th December .. Lets make it a sellout . and lets include Jerry in this 50th anniversary celebraton However we can.
Video and recording is valuable therapy for  head injury sufferers.  So visual, audio and finanial input will be great  Fez Tiara  
Hugs nd htoughtsto jerry and his family  xxx
StephenB
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #130 on: July 23, 2017, 07:54:48 PM »

It would be an ideal opportunity for a monetary collection as well, then.

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #131 on: July 23, 2017, 09:09:33 PM »

Let's not overcomplicate matters.

You can directly donate on his Sweet Relief page and contribute that way.

Buy the t-shirt, Gareth will ensure the money goes to Jerry.

Personal messages can be sent via Facebook if you want to send them.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 09:33:48 PM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
StephenB
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #132 on: July 23, 2017, 10:32:50 PM »

Well, I don't for the life of me know what's complicated about buying a few blank books and pens, getting people to write stuff in them, then posting them off to America. There is an intimacy in the written word on paper that will never be replaced by electronic means IMO - and there would be a special relevance in the fact that the books actually physically came from Cropredy.

Not everyone is, or indeed wants to be, on Facebook.

Re the money, I of course have no doubt at all that Gareth will ensure all the money goes to Jerry. I'd be happy to give some at Cropredy without taking the T-shirt, and maybe others would. So maybe that's the way to do that one.

Anyway, I made my suggestions in good faith, and they're there for anyone to consider in the same spirit. We all have Jerry's best interests at heart.

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #133 on: July 24, 2017, 09:25:15 AM »

Well, I don't for the life of me know what's complicated about buying a few blank books and pens, getting people to write stuff in them, then posting them off to America. There is an intimacy in the written word on paper that will never be replaced by electronic means IMO - and there would be a special relevance in the fact that the books actually physically came from Cropredy.

Nothing then to stop you.....

Yorkshire Chris
Did you have a Sloppy Guiseppe?

Loc: Yorkshire (who'd have guessed...!)

« Reply #134 on: July 24, 2017, 01:21:22 PM »

Not everyone is, or indeed wants to be, on Facebook.

Re the money, I of course have no doubt at all that Gareth will ensure all the money goes to Jerry. I'd be happy to give some at Cropredy without taking the T-shirt, and maybe others would. So maybe that's the way to do that one.

Anyway, I made my suggestions in good faith, and they're there for anyone to consider in the same spirit. We all have Jerry's best interests at heart.

Agree with every word - I think these are brilliant ideas and very easily achievable. Hope they happen.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #135 on: September 05, 2017, 12:33:48 PM »

There are a couple of pieces of video floating about on FB of Jerry & some mates in the health centre in California, looking in good spirits & obviously making progress, if somewhat slowly.  Given the familiy's sensitivity over uploading images of Jerry, I've not posted links, but in the absence of any recent updates I just wanted to keep him in our thoughts. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #136 on: September 06, 2017, 01:41:24 PM »

I'm going to assume that since it was live streamed publicly on FB yesterday and still there now, it must be OK to share.  Includes a comment from Peggy too.

www.facebook.com/mjochum2/videos/10213573937240902/

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #137 on: September 06, 2017, 01:56:04 PM »

Thanks - he knows his chords. Smiles art the end too. Thoughts with Jerry.

delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #138 on: September 06, 2017, 02:41:57 PM »

That's good to see.

I'm not a guitarist, so don't know if he is making correct chords on the 'jam'.

He looks happy which is the main thing.

I just noticed that he wasn't always producing the correct chords when named, which seems to indicate his comprehension is poor. Repetitive vocalisation rather than speech, and no movement, it seems, in his right side indicate he had a 'belter' of a stroke. Such a shame. (Sorry, the retired SLT can't help it)

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #139 on: September 06, 2017, 05:11:26 PM »

That was really beautiful to see.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: