TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:25:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Compendium  (Read 59417 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2016, 06:51:52 AM »

I'm trying to avoid people going off in a huff because they can't stomach early tracks being excluded to include more recent ones.

So how about a double CD. The first 25 years and the second. Well roughly. The break being 'Red & Gold' <-> 'The Five Seasons'

I think some will only be interested in CD1, but there are also the 'youngsters'.

Well?

I can go for the double idea, but it's the wrong place to take the break.  It needs to pre and post original split to my mind.  The early years are more intense and more important.  That's true of any band with a long history, it's not me being partisan.  It's just the way it is.

Jules

Yeah, what Jules said...if you have a break, it has to be at the end of the 70's - it's two very distinct bands and careers.  It's not like the Beatles is it...a 2CD Stones compilation isn't going to split after Steel Wheels, is it?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2016, 08:08:16 AM »

I'd agree that 2 CDs has to be the way to go.  And I think splitting it between Farewell, Farewell and Gladys Leap is the logical place to do it.  

But I won't kick up a big fuss if you decide to do it differently - it's only a bit of fun, after all.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2016, 09:15:02 AM »

I'm trying to avoid people going off in a huff because they can't stomach early tracks being excluded to include more recent ones.

So how about a double CD. The first 25 years and the second. Well roughly. The break being 'Red & Gold' <-> 'The Five Seasons'

I think some will only be interested in CD1, but there are also the 'youngsters'.

Well?

Double Cd is good. Natural break would be before and after Gladys Leap.
After 85" there have been 2 changes to the band line up. Before 85 there were 8,542.......ish.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #83 on: April 30, 2016, 09:17:52 AM »

Well?

I can go for the double idea, but it's the wrong place to take the break.  It needs to pre and post original split to my mind.  The early years are more intense and more important.  That's true of any band with a long history, it's not me being partisan.  It's just the way it is.

Jules

Elbow? Pulp?😇😉
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2016, 09:37:56 AM »

Elbow? Pulp?����

Two exceptions from the minor leagues.  Out of thousands.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2016, 09:41:43 AM »

Elbow? Pulp?����

Jules

I know big boy. The pedant in me just couldn't resist.😜😇😉
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2016, 10:33:02 AM »

Elbow? Pulp?����

Jules

Radiohead? Thin Lizzy? Marvin Gaye? The Tremeloes? (...that's enough now - Ed.)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
jimc

« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2016, 11:04:49 AM »

I think the other place you could logically take a split is after Rising. Up to then it seems to me that there was always a dream that they might become major players in the mainstream music scene, and after that there was a gradual acceptance that, OK, that's not going to happen, but maybe we can make a living in a smaller fishpool.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2016, 01:09:34 PM »

Radiohead? Thin Lizzy? Marvin Gaye? The Tremeloes? (...that's enough now - Ed.)

Interesting.  Let me think about these...

Thin Lizzy had a mid-career peak.  You still wouldn't want that many selections from their last three albums.  And their formative years still count as amongst their most interesting.

Marvin Gaye? Again, a mid-career peak, but there's an awful lot of big hits from earlier on.

Radiohead?  Not an expert, but again, a mid-career peak.  The best stuff would probably still be at the end of disc one.

The Tremeloes - would anyone need two CDs by The Tremeloes?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2016, 01:33:05 PM »

I for one, love the first two Radiohead albums and lost interest after that, but I guess the popular opinion is, as you say a mid career peak.

Well I never did..
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: