TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:28:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Compendium  (Read 59419 times)
peter m

« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2016, 04:20:19 PM »

Just a thought. There's eras. But there's also musical styles. I couldn't imagine a 'Representative FC Compendium' without at least one Jigs and Reels. But I could imagine Lark in the Morning, Dirty Linen, Hens March , River Ash etc being outvoted individually by other more compelling material. Or as another example maybe there should be a couple of light hearted tracks. Maybe a bit of structuring should happen not just across eras but across genres too.

Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2016, 05:10:46 PM »

Well, as a civil servant, I'm sticking to the original brief  Tongue - 1 CD covering every recording line-up (I'm not counting Gottle as that particular line-up is nowhere to be found on the LP ! )so, here goes & you can all disagree with me ... 1) Time will show the wiser; 2) Fotheringay; 3) Who knows...; 4) Sailor's life; 5) Crazy Man Michael; 6) Walk awhile; 7) Banks of the River Ash; Cool Polly on the shore; 9) One more chance; 10) Widow of Westmoreland's daughter; 11) Meet on the Ledge (from "Farewell, Farewell"); 12) Hiring fair; 13) Red & Gold; 14) Big 3 Medley inc. Matty Groves (from "In Reel Time"); 15) John Gaudie; 16) Myths & Heroes. Somebody else will have to work out if that comes to less than 80 minutes if they can be bothered, but I'm quietly confident ...
samnitzberg (Sam)
no little winking doodad

Loc: Sparks, Maryland, USA

« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2016, 06:09:05 PM »

Just a thought. There's eras. But there's also musical styles. I couldn't imagine a 'Representative FC Compendium' without at least one Jigs and Reels. But I could imagine Lark in the Morning, Dirty Linen, Hens March , River Ash etc being outvoted individually by other more compelling material. Or as another example maybe there should be a couple of light hearted tracks. Maybe a bit of structuring should happen not just across eras but across genres too.

Best idea yet.
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2016, 06:17:23 PM »

A fair number of CD releases these days come with a 2 disk version and to get any real sense of the development of FC I there has to a reasonable sample of their output. Anything less than 2 disks wouldn’t be a fair representation of their output and history. The disks could then be split to show the different eras, say up to Tipplers on one, and from Glady’s onwards on t'other.  
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2016, 08:41:29 PM »

A fair number of CD releases these days come with a 2 disk version and to get any real sense of the development of FC I there has to a reasonable sample of their output. Anything less than 2 disks wouldn’t be a fair representation of their output and history. The disks could then be split to show the different eras, say up to Tipplers on one, and from Glady’s onwards on t'other.  

Agreed.  Though my disc one would stretch a bit further to include that Fairport version of Sandy's It Suits Me Well from Swarb's Smiddyburn LP.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2016, 09:25:35 AM »

Having had comments about my contribution to the Strictly thread I think I will now do my best to keep myself out of this thread.
I think one album is an impossible task. There are so many permutations and everyone on here will suggest one!
Committee designing a horse produces a Camel Roll Eyes Grin Huh
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2016, 10:02:39 AM »

Having had comments about my contribution to the Strictly thread I think I will now do my best to keep myself out of this thread.
I think one album is an impossible task. There are so many permutations and everyone on here will suggest one!
Committee designing a horse produces a Camel Roll Eyes Grin Huh

Addendum.
E.g Phil's list above is a completely reasonable compendium, it wouldn't be mine .
Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2016, 11:15:53 AM »

I hope this will continue.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2016, 01:07:46 PM »

I hope this will continue.

I hope it continues too Ronald but I still think it as an impossible task.
If you look at Phil's list above he only has 2 tracks from the lineup of the band that has been together for 18 years.
He has cleverly, chosen old tracks, done by more recent line ups..I hope it continues and I will try and sit back and watch it unfold.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2016, 01:53:47 PM »

If you look at Phil's list above he only has 2 tracks from the lineup of the band that has been together for 18 years.

That's two too....oh, no, it's alright, I'll shup up...  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2016, 04:57:33 PM »

I hope there will be a poll to vote for the songs on each album, where you can vote for all the tracks you like, could be one or two or all, or none if you don't like the album at all.
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2016, 05:26:02 PM »

I'm trying to work out a system that doesn't get too complex.
Although I am having problems getting over the concept of coming up with a representative selection, spread across the decades, rather than a best of.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
YaBB Master (Colin)
Administrator

« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2016, 08:14:41 PM »

Yes. This will be underway next month.
I'm still got a heap of cutting and pasting to do.

Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #73 on: April 24, 2016, 07:32:38 PM »

OK, personally I tend to agree with Hendo's "Camel" comment (great band 'though  Smiley) so, for the sake of simplicity, how about no contrived "mixing and matching" of people's "entries".   So, anyone would be able to make an "entry" and it only gets disqualified if it leaves out a line-up or exceeds 1 (or 2, if that is the consensus) CD's length. Then at a certain point - say, the end of May, that part of the game closes and then anyone can vote for any entry - provided it is not their own, of course !

jimc

« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2016, 09:45:39 PM »

If you haven't abandoned the eras idea, then I think it might be easier with a little more granularity. To a reasonable extent I think you can devise eras around key people at that time...

Dyble/DennyFairport -> Leige and Lief
Thompson/SwarbrickFull House -> Babbacombe Lee
Donahue/LucasRosie -> Rising
Swarbrick/NicolGottle -> Tipplers
Sanders/MaartGladys -> Old/New
Sanders/LeslieWho Knows ->

3 CDs, Two eras per CD, but doesn't need to be equal numbers of tracks from each era?
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2016, 09:57:03 PM »

If you haven't abandoned the eras idea, then I think it might be easier with a little more granularity. To a reasonable extent I think you can devise eras around key people at that time...

3 CDs, Two eras per CD, but doesn't need to be equal numbers of tracks from each era?

Perfect!

Jules

hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2016, 10:35:14 PM »

I like it but I think the intention is to be one CD. Hence my 'camel' comment.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2016, 11:44:07 AM »

I like it but I think the intention is to be one CD. Hence my 'camel' comment.

I love Camel. What's your favourite era - the one with Peter Bardens or with Jan Schelhaas?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
YaBB Master (Colin)
Administrator

« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2016, 11:01:10 PM »

I'm trying to avoid people going off in a huff because they can't stomach early tracks being excluded to include more recent ones.

So how about a double CD. The first 25 years and the second. Well roughly. The break being 'Red & Gold' <-> 'The Five Seasons'

I think some will only be interested in CD1, but there are also the 'youngsters'.

Well?

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2016, 11:05:39 PM »

I'm trying to avoid people going off in a huff because they can't stomach early tracks being excluded to include more recent ones.

So how about a double CD. The first 25 years and the second. Well roughly. The break being 'Red & Gold' <-> 'The Five Seasons'

I think some will only be interested in CD1, but there are also the 'youngsters'.

Well?

I can go for the double idea, but it's the wrong place to take the break.  It needs to pre and post original split to my mind.  The early years are more intense and more important.  That's true of any band with a long history, it's not me being partisan.  It's just the way it is.

Jules

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: