TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:02:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Compendium  (Read 59416 times)
Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2016, 04:23:04 PM »

Maybe first of all we nominate the songs, then the final decision will be which version.
Also as well as eras. there are a few albums that could stand alone.

All ideas welcome.  

I think it is better to be able to vote for all the songs on an album, there maybe some surprises as which will end in the top three.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2016, 04:57:00 PM »

I'm with Robert. In Real Time was the first, and for some time the only, FC album I'd heard, and subsequently bought. I had no idea it wasn't live and it has some of my favourite versions of some of their most popular songs. I'd like to see it in.

Other than that though, I'll probably stay out of this thread. I took a lot of stick for Strictly FC and I don't fancy any more.

Cheery-bye Talkawhilers - enjoy your arguments  Smiley

Brij, for strictly, please seriously understand it was never real stick. We were playing a game. You were a judge. Genuinely no malice at all. Really sorry if you felt that and any of it came from me.
I was always only playing the game, in jest and I would  be mortified if I thought I had upset you.
Nobody in particular Dave, I just don't feel up to justifying my opinions at the moment. I know some on this board love a good old on-line set-to, but I only paid for a 10 minute argument so my time is up   Grin    I might stick my oar in every now and then!!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2016, 04:58:08 PM »

I'm with Robert. In Real Time was the first, and for some time the only, FC album I'd heard, and subsequently bought. I had no idea it wasn't live and it has some of my favourite versions of some of their most popular songs. I'd like to see it in.

Other than that though, I'll probably stay out of this thread. I took a lot of stick for Strictly FC and I don't fancy any more.

Cheery-bye Talkawhilers - enjoy your arguments  Smiley

Brij, for strictly, please seriously understand it was never real stick. We were playing a game. You were a judge. Genuinely no malice at all. Really sorry if you felt that and any of it came from me.
I was always only playing the game, in jest and I would  be mortified if I thought I had upset you.
Nobody in particular Dave, I just don't feel up to justifying my opinions at the moment. I know some on this board love a good old on-line set-to, but I only paid for a 10 minute argument so my time is up   Grin    I might stick my oar in every now and then!!

Good!
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 06:21:41 PM »

Still thinking album by album is a better approach than eras - plus sundries.
When it comes to track selection you'll end up having to weigh up the relative importance of The Lobster to Flatback Caper, or whatever.
Easier ( and more balanced) to choose from ten tracks at a time than ten albums (and a hundred songs).
I'd also suggest a limit of three, four at most, songs per album.

Take L and L for example....I'd choose Tam Lin, Crazy Man Michael and Lark medley. Matty will be a given on the final thing, but I suspect most of us would go for metal Matty from the anniversary Cropredy album with Meet On The Ledge as the final track - origibal vesion.

Go for album by album...nominate tracks, choose the most popular three with a couple of reserves maybe, then move on to the next album. Some albums will require more discussion - Rosie will maybe be an easy one - the title track and Bring 'Em Down ?

Then, when you've got your list sorted, you have to fit 'em on to a CD or four, really.

But it's a history of Fairport....three token Chris era songs won't achieve that, one song at least per album, maximum three, will.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 06:50:59 PM by bassline (Mike) » Logged

Well I never did..
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 07:02:04 PM »

Apologies...The Plainsman from Rosie...and original rather than origibal. I'm rushing to work where I left my glasses, hence the mistakes.

Well I never did..
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2016, 08:00:36 PM »

one song at least per album, maximum three, will

I can dig that.  Maybe four tracks for landmark albums.  And let's not forget singles - Now Be Thankful has to be on there!  Maybe if we deal with the expanded CD versions of the albums rather than the original LPs we'd be more mindful of stray tracks like this?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Ronald

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2016, 08:45:01 PM »

one song at least per album, maximum three, will

I can dig that.  Maybe four tracks for landmark albums.  And let's not forget singles - Now Be Thankful has to be on there!  Maybe if we deal with the expanded CD versions of the albums rather than the original LPs we'd be more mindful of stray tracks like this?

Jules

Yes, that is what I was more or less suggesting and yes Now be thankful is a fantastic song that should have a place on an anthology of Fairport.
bassline (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2016, 08:04:48 AM »

Fiddlestix and Sir B Pict Grooving In a Cave With Small Furry Animals too.

Well I never did..
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2016, 08:37:09 AM »

I wouldn't place either in the essential category.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2016, 09:58:19 AM »

I wouldn't place either in the essential category.

Jules

Oh, I definitely would with Fiddlestix; the version with the orchestra. Sir B remains a staple of the live set.

I have already compiled my 4 disc set, pretty much complying with the various rules being suggested above. I shall reveal it somewhere somehow but presumably it would be inappropriate to do so here and now as it would pre-empt the exercise.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2016, 09:58:35 AM »

Oh , I am trying to stay out if this.........
But......
We are already giving personal opinions of what would be on our History of.
We could all do it. They would all be different, eg, I happen to hate Rosie, with a passion.
Colin needs a system to try and put an album together.
An album that when it is completed some people will disagree with.
People know , all too well, that my personal view would be skewed towards the early albums. I already have my own 'history of' on my mobile devices....... So how do we get something from all those albums on , max, 4 cd's?
One song from each album? That would show a history of but so much would be lost.
I think the existing History Of album, covers the early years and I'm including Crazy Man Michael. Add something from the first album and I think you probably have the first cd in our new history of.
You now have 3 cd's to cover 1970 to present.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2016, 10:16:14 AM »

But......
We could all do it. They would all be different, eg, I happen to hate Rosie, with a passion.
People know , all too well, that my personal view would be skewed towards the early albums. I already have my own 'history of' on my mobile devices....... So how do we get something from all those albums on , max, 4 cd's?
One song from each album? That would show a history of but so much would be lost.
I think the existing History Of album, covers the early years and I'm including Crazy Man Michael. Add something from the first album and I think you probably have the first cd in our new history of.

I think there are a lot of things that factor in to this. I agree that Colin needs a system by which to derive the final list. I don't think, given the volume of available material that it can be done in less than 4 discs and I agree that the later years need to be fairly represented. "Fairly" is not the same as "equally "however. It would be churlish to suggest that much of this material has the same significance, the same place in many people's hearts, the same quality even as much of the earlier, more innovative work. For what it is worth, over the course of the 4 disc anthology that I have put together, the period from 67-70 takes up about a disc and a half. The period from 97 - 2015 takes up about a disc and a half. The other 75 minutes or so comprises everything in between. That seems about fair to me. It acknowledges the latter history of the band reasonably substantially without ascribing the same weight to it as the early years.
sliprigilio (Al)
my it's should be its

Loc: Cornwall

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2016, 10:18:51 AM »

Something from the 'House Full' live album would be a cracking addition.  It's a superd document of the Full House line-up on great form...

Cheers,

Slippy
 Cool
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2016, 10:28:59 AM »

But......

I think there are a lot of things that factor in to this. I agree that Colin needs a system by which to derive the final list. I don't think, given the volume of available material that it can be done in less than 4 discs and I agree that the later years need to be fairly represented. "Fairly" is not the same as "equally "however. It would be churlish to suggest that much of this material has the same significance, the same place in many people's hearts, the same quality even as much of the earlier, more innovative work. For what it is worth, over the course of the 4 disc anthology that I have put together, the period from 67-70 takes up about a disc and a half. The period from 97 - 2015 takes up about a disc and a half. The other 75 minutes or so comprises everything in between. That seems about fair to me. It acknowledges the latter history of the band reasonably substantially without ascribing the same weight to it as the early years.

Yeah Al, I agree ,  however,it's a history of, should chronicle the full history whether we like the stuff or not.
On my personal History of, I have 2 songs after1997 and  my history also includes the Wounded Whale.!!!!!!
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2016, 10:35:01 AM »

however,it's a history of, should chronicle the full history

Yes, that is my point.

my history also includes the Wounded Whale.!!!!!!

So does mine!  Wink
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2016, 10:50:11 AM »

however,it's a history of, should chronicle the full history

Yes, that is my point.

Yeah, I know. I was just agreeing!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2016, 11:31:26 AM »

Something from the 'House Full' live album would be a cracking addition.  It's a superd document of the Full House line-up on great form...

Cheers,

Slippy
 Cool

Agreed.  Just not Yellow Bird, please!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2016, 11:57:44 AM »

Agreed.  Just not Yellow Bird, please!

Banks Of The Sweet Primroses or Staines Morris, every time!

Jules

Ronald

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2016, 12:14:05 PM »

Dave, the album or the song?

Ronald

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2016, 12:16:08 PM »

Cheers,

Slippy
 Cool

As live recordings differ sometimes a lot from the studio versions it maybe is an idea to compile a history of Fairport consisting only of live recordings.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: