TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 03, 2024, 12:49:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Fairport CD 2014?  (Read 166055 times)
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #160 on: January 16, 2015, 11:36:06 AM »

I guess he is referring to the fact that the cover of the new album has similarities to that of Full House, and is making a rather sour comment on either the quality of the content or of the performers.

Don't see much humour in it myself, just bitterness, I'm afraid.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #161 on: January 16, 2015, 11:50:52 AM »

Don't be afraid, Will, Swarb's only a little guy.   Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #162 on: January 16, 2015, 12:09:00 PM »

Jules

THey say the little guys are the worst.  Wink
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #163 on: January 16, 2015, 03:15:29 PM »

Jules

THey say the little guys are the worst.  Wink
I'll tell my 5' 3" husband that....  Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #164 on: January 16, 2015, 03:43:02 PM »

Do you think that he shouldn't be as trenchant in his criticism because he has been helped out in the past? Surely a robust Swarb is more welcome than a dead one.

He is of course welcome to express whatever views he wishes but I am beginning to tire of his continual nagging criticism. There comes a time in life to put issues in the past behind you and move on. If you don't past friends are unlikely to remain present friends. I find it all rather sad.

That is the way I feel about it too

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #165 on: January 16, 2015, 03:49:14 PM »

I have been saddened by Swarbs recent activities, I am not sure where it comes from or what the purpose is but it always seems a little petty. He is however entitled to an opinion whatever it is, as are we all, it just is sad when people who have supported each other musically and personally for so many years are facing this sort of rift.

Swarb gas always been cheeky but this type of comment seems to come from a different source.

Anyway the new cd will be whatever it is. It has always been interesting to me that when I play Fairport to people unfamiliar with the history of the band they are more drawn to the new sound than the old. It seems that 60's/70's folk rock sound is much more of an acquired taste than we realize.

I am looking forward to the lively debate of the merits and demerits of the new cd beyond the quite awful cover.

Neil

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2015, 09:05:14 AM »

There doesn't seem to be a lot of love for the current line up on Swarbrick's FB timeline. To the extent that in a discussion about the cover for the new album, one friend of DS's appears to make the point that if you don't record, release and perform new material then it's inevitable that you end up as your own tribute band.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #167 on: January 17, 2015, 09:10:53 AM »

That makes it sound as if you have a range of husbands of different heights ....
Ronald
I have to confess it was pure laziness

« Reply #168 on: January 17, 2015, 11:35:53 AM »

There doesn't seem to be a lot of love for the current line up on Swarbrick's FB timeline. To the extent that in a discussion about the cover for the new album, one friend of DS's appears to make the point that if you don't record, release and perform new material then it's inevitable that you end up as your own tribute band.

I wonder what other musicians who know him, he performed with etc think about all this.

After seeing them last year I have high hopes for the new cd, they usually keep it simple, not like Steeleye whose later cd's suffer from over arranged songs.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #169 on: January 17, 2015, 12:52:18 PM »

Maybe he finds most of FC's last few records dull and formulaic and thinking of the excellence of the full house record, doesnt want its legacy diminished by another "play once and file" cd by the current line up.

The Dude abides
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #170 on: January 17, 2015, 02:11:30 PM »

Maybe he finds most of FC's last few records dull and formulaic and thinking of the excellence of the full house record, doesnt want its legacy diminished by another "play once and file" cd by the current line up.
Nail on head.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #171 on: January 17, 2015, 03:12:05 PM »

Maybe. I found it mildly ironic that someone was making the point that bands really should continue to record and release new music on a discussion prompted by the release of an album of new material.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #172 on: January 17, 2015, 07:32:38 PM »

At the risk of being flogged, I am a much bigger fan of the newer records  over the old. Full House---while I like the songs very much---has always sounded to me quite badly recorded. (Although I REALLY enjoy the live House Full, for whatever that's worth.) Wood and the Wire, Jewel in the Crown, the 5 Seasons...love 'em all.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #173 on: January 17, 2015, 07:50:45 PM »

At the risk of being flogged, I am a much bigger fan of the newer records  over the old. Full House---while I like the songs very much---has always sounded to me quite badly recorded. (Although I REALLY enjoy the live House Full, for whatever that's worth.) Wood and the Wire, Jewel in the Crown, the 5 Seasons...love 'em all.

It's a free country, all tastes catered for.
Hang on you just fished me in didn't you!
Respect,you old rascal.

The Dude abides
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #174 on: January 17, 2015, 08:17:26 PM »

Jewel in the Crown was released in 1995.....

Their last fully satisfying album IMO.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #175 on: January 17, 2015, 08:33:09 PM »

Jewel in the Crown was released in 1995.....

Their last fully satisfying album IMO.

Blimey, that was twenty years ago! And a decade after Swarb left the group.

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #176 on: January 17, 2015, 08:43:12 PM »

That makes it sound as if you have a range of husbands of different heights ....
Oh God no. One is enough!  Shocked

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #177 on: January 17, 2015, 09:03:02 PM »

At the risk of being flogged, I am a much bigger fan of the newer records  over the old. Full House---while I like the songs very much---has always sounded to me quite badly recorded.

Analogue warmth, baby, analogue warmth.  John Wood was a class act.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #178 on: January 17, 2015, 11:45:11 PM »

At the risk of being flogged, I am a much bigger fan of the newer records  over the old. Full House---while I like the songs very much---has always sounded to me quite badly recorded.

Analogue warmth, baby, analogue warmth.  John Wood was a class act.

Jules

Never met the man (my loss) but he did some great work, without question.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #179 on: January 18, 2015, 10:30:35 AM »

Maybe. I found it mildly ironic that someone was making the point that bands really should continue to record and release new music on a discussion prompted by the release of an album of new material.

Was Swarb's comment prompted by anything other than the new Fairport album? Or does he have a new album out too?

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: