TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:37:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Fairport CD 2014?  (Read 163299 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #240 on: January 24, 2015, 07:00:25 PM »

Did you not like Sandy, Thommo and McDonald etc?  

McDonald?  I had to think for a while before I realised who you meant there.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #241 on: January 24, 2015, 07:05:09 PM »

Slip of the fingers - and memory there!  Roll Eyes

No Left Turn Unstoned
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #242 on: January 24, 2015, 08:06:35 PM »

Jules

That's the 1975 Newcastle United front line, isn't it?  Grin

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Tony Pim

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #243 on: January 25, 2015, 05:29:50 PM »

Mark , Tony, I have met many people for whom the current line up is their favourite,that's obviously completely fine
I suspect it depends on when you discover the band
.For me '69, when the line up was Simon, Ashley, DM, Sandy, RT and Swarb, they were only together for 6 months! but they are Fairport to me. WKWTTG, Sloth, Sailors Life, Matty, Tam Lin, Ledge, were the songs that influenced the next 45 yrs of my musical life.

You could be right. I first heard them with "Nine" and was totally blown away; it had an immediate and permanent impact on my own playing (not that I'll ever be in the same universe as Jerry D!). It was probably two years later that I checked out L&L and, while I liked it, it certainly did not have the impact on me that Nine did. Loved Unhalfbricking, though. But for me, as I say, the stuff that REALLY speaks to me is post-1985. I guess part of the trouble for me is I don't care much for nostalgia. I can truthfully say my very favorite Fairport record is---the next one. I feel the same way about Little Feat and Steeleye, btw. I like also collecting shiny baubles, so there's that.

Yep, I think you're both bang on.  I 'discovered' Fairport in the mid 70s, but at the same time I didn't.  I had the double album History, then bought Babbacombe Lee, saw them a couple of times and kind of parked my Fairport experience there. Picked it up again after a chance visit to Cropredy in 2007, haven't missed since so see the current line up as 'my' Fairport. I doubt they can ever hope to come close writing to WKWTTG, Sloth, MOTL, and so many others but when I bang one of the more recents CDs on it tansports me to a field in August.  The new Cd should arrive in the next couple of days, better had do I need to be familiar before Southport next Saturday !

and the stars look very different today
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #244 on: January 25, 2015, 08:45:26 PM »

Can't possibly buy another Fairport CD!! I am currently importing all of my fave songs from my cd collection on to my new ipod! Its only 16GB and I am only up to 'E' Have just got out the next lot of albums to do and it's 'F' for Fairport, 25 CD's to upload, the ipod is half full, will need to buy another to complete the task!

Santa was good to me as I have a 'Bose' Bluetooth speaker, my musical world is shrinking, saves me having to put cd's on and off a player!  Roll Eyes Cheesy No more breaking those annoying cd cases....

So, lets hope I don't like the new album anyway!! My fave era was the 'Maart' years and even the few years after that, have been disappointed in the last 2-3 albums, although I always find a few great songs.  Wink

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #245 on: January 26, 2015, 03:29:34 PM »

Jules

That's the 1975 Newcastle United front line, isn't it?  Grin

Grin

No Left Turn Unstoned
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #246 on: January 26, 2015, 03:41:56 PM »

Recent years for me - and as far as I can tell with this one = great musianship as ever, I quite like the more "acoustic" sound, I really like the mix of instruments Chris plays BUT even with all this in place I find myself just not liking the songs themselves. I have often thought that about FC over the years though - for every Sloth there has been a Night Time Girl, for every Matty Groves there has been a Hungarian Rhapsody, the tendancy for Simon to sing slightly over sentimental stuff like London Danny or Sailing Boat. OK there are still some crackers in amongst but overall poor (IMHO) song choices make me not want to buy the albums, and sadly not see the band live any more with sets dominated by the putput of the past decade.

DW
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #247 on: January 26, 2015, 05:04:50 PM »

"the putput of the past decade"?

Better rename that song "Motor Boat"...  Wink

"My" FC is the 1971-3 lineup of Simon, Swarb, Peggy & DM, as that's the line-up I saw first, but there's not a single entire album by any line-up I dislike in toto - sure, there's a few weak tracks across the canon, but that applies to every artist/band/composer. I'm looking forward to hearing the new one when I get it on Thursday at the Roses, especially if (as someone noted) it's been recorded "tout ensemble" rather than everyone adding their parts separately as per Festival Bell.

Flobbadob!
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #248 on: January 26, 2015, 06:18:18 PM »

I'm unsurprised but disappointed that the new album has been slagged off so comprehensively, when the majority of the comments have almost certainly come from people who haven't heard it. If you *have* heard it, feel free to review it.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #249 on: January 26, 2015, 08:13:05 PM »

I'm unsurprised but disappointed that the new album has been slagged off so comprehensively, when the majority of the comments have almost certainly come from people who haven't heard it. If you *have* heard it, feel free to review it.

Has anybody actually got it yet? I thought mine might have arrived by now, but it hasn't.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #250 on: January 26, 2015, 08:19:23 PM »

"Slagged off so comprehensively"?  Really?  There's quite a bit about why people don't like Fairport that much any more (and why they prefer one lineup over another), and why some people won't buy it, but I'm yet to see the album slagged off comprehensively in this thread.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
MarkC
is no Snoop Dogg

« Reply #251 on: January 26, 2015, 09:28:56 PM »

Is there anybody that can define what it is about the latest line-up's work that makes them prefer it to all that came before?  Intuitively I know we're all different and stating why one likes something is ludicrous and almost impossible to do.  I'm trying to be objective here, but whichever way I look at it, I just end up shaking my head with disbelief when I'm told the current lineup is where its at with this band (ditto Little Feat and Steeleye).

At the risk of sounding like a critic---A LOT of it has to do with Simon; his voice has matured to a really fine instrument that I never tire of. And I think his guitar playing is criminally underrated (not least by his own self). Peggy continues to produce amazingly funky yet fluid bass lines, that started off amazing and just get better and better. Chris and Ric are always a delight. And I love Gerry's world music approach to percussion. For the most part I love their choice of material.

Negatives? Chris has on rare occasion played REALLY good electric lead guitar; I wish he would do it more often. And I suspect Simon could be a really fine composer if he really wanted to.

The older (60s) stuff is fine---but for my subjective ears, the recording quality often leaves a LOT to be desired. But, basically, as I said, I like looking forward more than looking backward. That's just me.
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #252 on: January 27, 2015, 01:42:55 AM »

There has been some criticism of the album cover, some assumptions made  about the content, some discussion about what people like about the current and past lineups, some concern about the sound of the samples but no slagging off.

It has from my perspective been a good discussion and as with any band that has gone through the changes Fairport has some strong opinions, they have not however been offensive. I will happily review the album when I get it.

For the first time in a long time I am quite excited about a new Fairport album largely because of the discussion here.

Neil

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #253 on: January 27, 2015, 08:25:39 AM »

When you have a fan base largely made up of cynical old bastards who can remember everything you have done for nearly fifty years, they are going to be difficult to impress.
I know that Fairport perceive TAW as a mixed blessing, we keep up interest, but tend to 'tell it like it is'.

Actually the tone of this topic has been largely neutral, based on the information available and past experience. Seems fair enough to me.  

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #254 on: January 27, 2015, 08:39:37 AM »

Fair enough. Nothing wrong with a pinion, as the man with the wooden leg said.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #255 on: January 27, 2015, 08:58:15 AM »

When you have a fan base largely made up of cynical old bastards who can remember everything you have done for nearly fifty years, they are going to be difficult to impress.
I know that Fairport perceive TAW as a mixed blessing, we keep up interest, but tend to 'tell it like it is'.

Actually the tone of this topic has been largely neutral, based on the information available and past experience. Seems fair enough to me.  

Cynical old bastard!!!!!!!!!!                                   Oh, Ok. Roll Eyes
I actually thought it's been a good conversation. If you discovered Fariports in 1993 that's the line up you like. If , like me you 'discovered them in '68/9 you're a cynical old bastard! Sheen says she can't see much for me to argue with there!

Edit: Now that the CD is available, I have now locked this topic and split it as best I can. Colin
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: