TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 20, 2024, 08:21:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Fairport CD 2014?  (Read 164507 times)
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2015, 04:23:17 PM »

So am I wasting my time? Should I just put the individual tracks up one at a time for downloading and let the listening public decide which order they want to play it in and not bother to create something that is a whole entity?  Huh

Ideally Dame Judy, you should probably give everyone a copy of the original multitrack tapes so that they can mix it themselves and throw in a bag of felt tips, an A4 jotter, a couple of Pritt sticks and the password to a pre-loaded Photobox(TM) album. There'd still probably be someone complaining you'd used the wrong take of Wiggle Waggle, mind...  Grin  

Sounds like a plan... Roll Eyes Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2015, 04:47:54 PM »

Incidentally, I've had to be in today, hence me posting so much........but how lovely to have a protracted conversation on t/awhile about music Roll Eyes Grin  

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2015, 05:23:26 PM »

Incidentally, I've had to be in today, hence me posting so much........but how lovely to have a protracted conversation on t/awhile about music Roll Eyes Grin  

Yes.  Who knew that a bodhrán player would know so much about music?!?!   Shocked

Wink

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #123 on: January 07, 2015, 05:55:27 PM »

Yes.  Who knew that a bodhrán player would know so much about music?!?!   Shocked

Wink

Jules

I was going to be rude but i'll just thank you for the accent over the a in bodhran!
 It's playing the cajon most of the time now that's done it. Huh
 I run an open mic where I play with solo artists, if they ask me and last Sunday, this lovely man with £8000 of Lowden guitar, which he can play wonderfully, was doing an RT song and he turned to me and said,'it's in F! Bless him!
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2015, 06:27:09 PM »

So am I wasting my time?

Not as far as I'm concerned!

(I'm not sure about the yoof market though.)

Jules

I agree with Jules.

Ollie (hoping I still represent the yoof market)

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #125 on: January 07, 2015, 06:37:54 PM »

I think you may be an anomaly, Ollie.  (Trying saying that with someone else's teeth in!)

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #126 on: January 07, 2015, 06:40:01 PM »

I was going to be rude but i'll just thank you for the accent over the a in bodhran!

Saved by the á!

It's playing the cajon most of the time now that's done it.

Done what, exactly?   Shocked

Jules

hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2015, 06:51:32 PM »

Saved by the á!

It's playing the cajon most of the time now that's done it.

Done what, exactly?   Shocked

Jules

Jules I'm developing a soft spot for you..................................big bog, Northern Ireland!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2015, 07:09:18 PM »

An AGE thing? I'm 59 tomorrow. Is that too old or too young?

Andy, you're still a child. Or was that just a heavy handed reminder?  Roll Eyes

The Dude abides
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2015, 08:41:52 PM »

Jules I'm developing a soft spot for you..................................big bog, Northern Ireland!

Well, at least my brother won't have to travel far when bringing flowers.   Undecided

Jules

hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2015, 09:03:45 PM »

Well, at least my brother won't have to travel far when bringing flowers.   Undecided

Jules

Like button!
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #131 on: January 07, 2015, 09:11:45 PM »

So am I wasting my time?

Jules

I agree with Jules.

Ollie, I am looking at your album cover (great cover and packaging incidentally) and the one thing it doesn't shout at me is 'Yoof'. Soz Wink
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #132 on: January 07, 2015, 09:41:49 PM »

So am I wasting my time?

Jules

I agree with Jules.

Ollie, I am looking at your album cover (great cover and packaging incidentally) and the one thing it doesn't shout at me is 'Yoof'. Soz Wink

Haha, this is true.

However, you raise a very good point about the role of album artwork for the modern day band or artist. In my opinion, album artwork has a massive effect on people's perceptions of the band/artist - it creates an image. With mine, I wanted it to have a vintage feel (for those who haven't seen it, it can be seen here - http://www.olliekingmusic.com/). I use instruments made in 1930s, a lot of the material I do is traditional, and my style harks back to players in the 60s and 70s. So the vintage style of the album cover reflects a lot about who I am as an artist, thus creating an image (I hope, anyway). I'd never really thought much of any of this before receiving some advice from one of the more prominent PR people on the folk scene (so I'm not talking bullshit), and it's made quite a difference to how seriously people have taken me as a musician.

Looking at the cover of Myths and Heroes, it obviously harks back to Full House, so the band is aware and proud of their history. However, it feels like someone has graffitied on it. The photoshopping is not very well done (Chris in particular), and it just looks a bit tacky. It also doesn't look very serious, which (playing Devil's Advocate here) makes me think the band aren't taking themselves seriously. I could be reading too much into this, true, but when I first saw the cover, I had second thoughts about whether I would buy the album or not. I've listened to the samples, and I'm still not convinced. Sorry chaps.  Undecided

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #133 on: January 07, 2015, 09:42:08 PM »

An AGE thing? I'm 59 tomorrow. Is that too old or too young?

Andy, you're still a child. Or was that just a heavy handed reminder?  Roll Eyes
Oh, definitely the latter.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #134 on: January 07, 2015, 11:35:34 PM »

Ollie, I agree.I wasn't being sycophantic when I said I liked your album cover. It achieved exactly what you wanted it to and did give the album gravitas.
I agree with your comments on Myths and heroes, I've written earlier in this thread that I am saddened by videos, CD covers etc that devalue the music through tacky humour.
At the same time i would never want to return to the folk fascism of the early 60's. Lots of singers/bands  do serious music but lighten it with banter between the songs. Vin Garbutt would be the master of this.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 11:59:47 PM by hendo (Dave) » Logged
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #135 on: January 08, 2015, 03:50:06 AM »

Ollie I don't have your album yet but I love the cover and totally understand the art you chose for it. Really works well. As to Myths and Heroes, I think the photoshopping was done so in a deliberate cheesy fashion. It is essentially the same gag as the faces of the cricket team on The Cropredy Box. I don't think it devalues music that none of us have heard in its entirety yet (except for the handful of songs Fairport have been performing live). Despite some serious music Fairport have always had a massive sense of humor as a band. I view the cover in that light and it does not bother me. What saddens me is to think that some may be writing off this album before it has been officially released on the basis of the cover and short audio samples. Just like every Fairport album, including the ones I felt missed the mark, I will be purchasing this as an actual CD, which will go on my Ipod, and which will be listened to straight through. If I like it I may even go for the vinyl as well.

I don't mean to be snarky about this to any of you. It is all IMHO of course.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #136 on: January 08, 2015, 08:49:35 AM »

Listened to the excerpts on the website and abit ho-hum overall but does anyone else think the opening of John Condon sounds very like part of the chorus to Paul McCartney's Pipes of Peace?

DW
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #137 on: January 08, 2015, 09:26:24 AM »

Ollie I don't have your album yet but I love the cover and totally understand the art you chose for it. Really works well. As to Myths and Heroes, I think the photoshopping was done so in a deliberate cheesy fashion. It is essentially the same gag as the faces of the cricket team on The Cropredy Box. I don't think it devalues music that none of us have heard in its entirety yet (except for the handful of songs Fairport have been performing live). Despite some serious music Fairport have always had a massive sense of humor as a band. I view the cover in that light and it does not bother me. What saddens me is to think that some may be writing off this album before it has been officially released on the basis of the cover and short audio samples. Just like every Fairport album, including the ones I felt missed the mark, I will be purchasing this as an actual CD, which will go on my Ipod, and which will be listened to straight through. If I like it I may even go for the vinyl as well.

I don't mean to be snarky about this to any of you. It is all IMHO of course.

No offence taken Robert. I think part of this conversation is about whether CD art work influences someone to buy the music. The argument seems to be that if the artwork looks a bit of a joke then the 'product'(!) will be similar. I accept there is no logical corollory between the 2. I have had a similar conversation with Lucy Ward where some of her publicity shots and videos do not , imho, reflect her music. I accept her argument that you can't always do, 'moody folkie looking in to distance on a windswept hill'. .
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #138 on: January 08, 2015, 10:13:42 AM »

No offence taken Robert. I think part of this conversation is about whether CD art work influences someone to buy the music.

Not just the CD artwork. I know an agent who sent his band's proposed promo photos back to them with the comment that he wouldn't be able to sell the band based on that look as it was unrepresentative of their style.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #139 on: January 08, 2015, 10:47:37 AM »

I'm not entirely sure that there's a need to be representative of the performers musical style.  Ultimately album art is about selling the album, to everyone from existing hardcore fans to newbies.  So it needs to be "nice/interesting" and while it can be representative of the music it can also be representative of the performer.

Lucy Ward's albums are a great example.  Her promotional material in general doesn't look at all "folkie" but it does give a very strong indication of her as a performer, it's striking and it catches the casual eye.  I think it's also representative of her music, to some extent at least, but I'm going to avoid heading into Pseuds Corner and not attempt to justify that statement.

I can see exactly where Ollie's coming from too and i like his and thinik it works.

The key thing of course in both cases is that its clear that thought, care and effort have gone into the artwork.

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: