TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:43:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Festival Chatter  (Read 395556 times)
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #380 on: April 14, 2020, 06:56:20 PM »

Absolutely Nick, in which case lets hope we don't have another "we're not ordering pubs to close just advising you not to go" farce.

If that happened would it give festival/event organisers carte blanche to hold onto people’s money as they had ‘chosen’ not to go, rather than the event being cancelled?

I fear so.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #381 on: April 14, 2020, 07:08:31 PM »

Absolutely Nick, in which case lets hope we don't have another "we're not ordering pubs to close just advising you not to go" farce.

If that happened would it give festival/event organisers carte blanche to hold onto people’s money as they had ‘chosen’ not to go, rather than the event being cancelled?
I fear so.
That would immoral but plausible based on a debate we're having with a holiday booking agency. They need to cancel or postpone until next year, possibly with the same line up to reduce costs and give a commitment to the acts, the longer the delay in doing so the higher the financial risk to them.

Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #382 on: April 14, 2020, 09:35:24 PM »

I've been thinking for a couple of weeks that everything would go this summer, I can't see a single festival taking place, and football will be behind closed doors, or not played at all, until the Autumn at least. Gigs will be Autumn at least I think.
Bearded Theory postponed from Whit weekend to mid-September, which seemed reasonable at the time, but I can't see it happening now.
I would have gone to about 15 this summer, including a few little ones I haven't been to before. Oh well, maybe next year, although I won't be putting money on it just yet.  Sad

Football behind closed doors wont work , there will be loads who will turn up outside grounds and try to find a vantage point . Football crowds don't behave as well as festival crowds. I went every week to football for over 55 years til I stopped 5 or 6 years ago, I just got so peed off with the so called fans.

I agree with you, but I doubt that will stop them trying it. Personally, I don't think the Government should allow the Clubs to do it, but money talks so I think it will go ahead at some point.
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #383 on: April 15, 2020, 10:58:01 AM »

Football is like festivals in some way. I am involved in its administration at Welsh Premier Level.

This year pays for next year. Predicting income a year in advance and budgeting accordingly leaves contracts and commitments made on the basis of a judgement of income, not real cash.

If this year doesn't conclude then most payments due in November wont happen.  Clubs are funded on a series of rolling 40 week seasons with TV money , UEFA payouts and Sponsorship's generated from the previous season. The Liverpool's and Manchester United's build huge surplus's and will be OK. Clubs lower down the scale tend to run hand to mouth or in deficit.  Most are bankrolled by benevolent local millionaires. If they draw that revenue from business other than football then that might be in downturn too.

Barry Fry once told me that the best way to be a millionaire in football is to start out as a billionaire. Football is facing trouble because costs occur before income is generated.

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #384 on: April 15, 2020, 11:39:22 AM »

I don't know, of course (none of us does) but I suspect part of that would be to try and reduce footfall whilst the legal and risk aspects are checked.  

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #385 on: April 15, 2020, 03:50:53 PM »

Not all festivals have been cancelled.  Oxford’s Folk Weekend is going ahead, but online obviously.  Free events will be shown on their Facebook page.  Ticketed events will be broadcast on Zoom.  Quite an impressive line-up.
http://www.folkweekendoxford.co.uk/
Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #386 on: April 15, 2020, 04:44:04 PM »

Broadstairs folk week has been cancelled  Cry
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #387 on: April 15, 2020, 05:13:23 PM »

Interesting Guardian article: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/apr/15/abort-retry-fail-how-coronavirus-is-jeopardising-music-festivals

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Chris from Fieldtown
Sorry Bob

Loc: Fieldtown, Oxon

« Reply #388 on: April 15, 2020, 05:37:00 PM »

Not all festivals have been cancelled.  Oxford’s Folk Weekend is going ahead, but online obviously.  Free events will be shown on their Facebook page.  Ticketed events will be broadcast on Zoom.  Quite an impressive line-up.
http://www.folkweekendoxford.co.uk/

Thanks for that, I've popped over and bought a ticket for Gilmore and Roberts and I have my eye on a couple of others. At least artists are able to perform and get paid this way.
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #389 on: April 18, 2020, 09:53:20 AM »

Show of Hands have unsurprisingly cancelled this year’s Abbotsbury festival scheduled for 4th July. Same line up moved to 2021. No official announcement on ticket validity that I have seen.

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #390 on: April 24, 2020, 10:28:54 AM »

Confirmation that Beautiful Days is (obviously) off

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #391 on: April 24, 2020, 12:12:34 PM »

That's it then, until the rescheduled Bearded Theory dates in September, and, hopefully, the as already planned Hillage and Hackett gigs during the following two months.
On the plus side, 2021 is shaping up to be a pretty good year, gig wise, and I won't have to find the cash for tickets.

Well I never did..
Mark J Salt

Loc: Sea view from a mountain in North Wales

« Reply #392 on: April 24, 2020, 01:38:31 PM »

Still nothing from New Forest as yet. I'm guessing there may be negotiations or Re-scheduling activities in progress. Fingers crossed for a line-up rollover to next year as most others have been able to do.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #393 on: April 24, 2020, 01:41:11 PM »

That's it then, until the rescheduled Bearded Theory dates in September, and, hopefully, the as already planned Hillage and Hackett gigs during the following two months.
On the plus side, 2021 is shaping up to be a pretty good year, gig wise, and I won't have to find the cash for tickets.

My own personal view is that there is precisely no chance of any gigs happening at all in the UK in 2020.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #394 on: April 24, 2020, 01:46:24 PM »

i'm afraid i totally agree with you David, and if BT gets the go ahead will all current ticket holders feel confident in going?  or indeed artists and traders?

it'll be fine.......
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #395 on: April 24, 2020, 05:26:30 PM »

But Steven Wilson at the O2 in September  Cry Cry

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #396 on: April 24, 2020, 05:54:18 PM »

He's put the album back to Jan 29th...so I suspect the gigs will follow that in the Spring now?

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #397 on: April 24, 2020, 05:55:58 PM »

I know... and Big Big Train in July.  Not yet officially cancelled, but I have very little hope...

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #398 on: April 24, 2020, 08:21:18 PM »

He's put the album back to Jan 29th...so I suspect the gigs will follow that in the Spring now?
Oh I hope so

Will S July is almost definitely not on.

What a strange year  Undecided

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #399 on: April 24, 2020, 11:31:26 PM »

I would have no confidence in sitting in a summer audience of thousands of people - and I'm pretty sure I've had it!

As for Butlins in December, no chance.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: