TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:08:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Festival Chatter  (Read 395610 times)
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #200 on: February 01, 2017, 07:42:37 PM »

Whatever to Ahab (not the Scandinavian thrash metallers as once featured in the Butlins Folk Weekend publicity) young, vibrant, fun and talented who deserved to go far?

Ahab are on hold at present.

Dave Burn, the rhythm guitarist and main singer in ahab, has a full length so cd 'Arizona' out next month I believe. He's on tour with Cropredy fave Ben Folke Thomas either this month or in March..

Dave is also guitarist and harmonies in bassist Seebs Llewelyn's newish band Orphan Colours. Seebs plays rhythm and some lead guitar in this band having passed the bass on.
They've got an ep available now, the title of which I've forgotten.  

No Left Turn Unstoned
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #201 on: February 01, 2017, 08:25:57 PM »

I thought the Cave Brothers were leads in ahab?

Anyway, you'll find Greg in TradArrr. I think his brother has gone quiet?

Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #202 on: February 01, 2017, 09:26:22 PM »

So much talent out there.

Dave if your festival doesn't need mega stars then book some of these ( I am sure you know them all) who have really impressed me in recent years,

If it doesn't clash with mu UEFA football commitments I will come  along and drag Chris and Deanna too..
In no particular order;

Tankus the Henge
Cattle and Cain
The Goat Roper Rodeo Band
Patch and the Giant
The Hawthornes

Would all float my boat.We are all so lucky , so much talent.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #203 on: February 01, 2017, 10:50:24 PM »

Would love to see Tankus at Cropredy  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #204 on: February 02, 2017, 08:59:56 AM »

Not exactly folk but great summer time music I would recommedn Freds House - they played Gerry Colvins Knitted Festival  and were brilliant.

DW
garrypbrooks

« Reply #205 on: February 02, 2017, 09:05:28 AM »

Not exactly folk but great summer time music I would recommedn Freds House - they played Gerry Colvins Knitted Festival  and were brilliant.

DW

Seconded. I saw them at a local Arts Centre last year and they were terrific. More country-rock than folk, but would fit in well on many festival bills. They sertainly know how to connect with an audience.

hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #206 on: February 02, 2017, 10:52:22 AM »

Any hot tips for acts likely to break through to folky stardom? I'd plump for Sam Kelly in one band or another, or Blackbeard's Tea Party, which is probably the kiss of death for both as a few years ago my hot tips were Ahab, Wheeler Street and Something Nasty in the Woodshed, all of whom I saw do storming festival sets.

I put Something Nasty ITWS on as headliners at our Gloostonbury Fest in 2009,
Stonking set , had a field bouncing. Lovely fellas too.
As I understand it it just became financially unviable, work commitments, travel etc.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #207 on: March 05, 2017, 06:23:46 AM »

Found a couple of small-ish festivals Sept /Oct with pretty good bills (Mighty Doonans, Dougie McLean, Vent du Nord and Vin Garbutt all float my boat):

http://www.banburyfolkfestival.co.uk/
http://www.bromyardfolkfestival.co.uk/

Will probably go to one of these - anyone been to them in previous years?

AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #208 on: March 05, 2017, 08:08:36 PM »

I went to Banbury a long time ago. I don't remember much, other than enjoying wRants in the rain.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
dog-nap (Ian)
Now you've made me peckish

« Reply #209 on: March 07, 2017, 06:33:28 PM »

Found a couple of small-ish festivals Sept /Oct with pretty good bills (Mighty Doonans, Dougie McLean, Vent du Nord and Vin Garbutt all float my boat):

http://www.banburyfolkfestival.co.uk/
http://www.bromyardfolkfestival.co.uk/

Will probably go to one of these - anyone been to them in previous years?

I went to Bromyard a few years ago and loved it.  All-seater concert marquee, good food, late-night comedy in the rugby(?) club.  Lots of events in the town, which is very pretty and within easy walking distance.  Huge selection of local ciders (I remember trying one that looked like Guinness).  The only downside was the weather.  It was a bit late in the season, the campsite was rather exposed, and at night it was f-r-e-e-z-i-n-g.  If I was going again, I would probably try and find some indoors accommodation.

Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #210 on: March 08, 2017, 12:29:48 PM »

Jurassic Fields Festival in Bridport have announced most of their line up http://jurassicfields.com 14th -15th July

Willie and the Bandits, Steve Knightly, Tankus the Henge, Mr B the Gentleman Rhymer amoung others.

Nice little 2 day festival located in the area where they film Broadchurch , reasonably priced beer, interesting selection of food stalls, no festival camping but the area is awash with b&b , caravan and camping sites.

Best thing for me is I can walk to it from home !
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #211 on: April 28, 2017, 01:57:19 PM »

"Thank you for bearing with us as we work through the growing pains that every first year event experiences"...  Undecided

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39743303/fyre-festival-turns-from-luxury-to-disaster-with-ticket-holders-stranded-in-bahamas

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #212 on: April 28, 2017, 03:48:35 PM »

"Thank you for bearing with us as we work through the growing pains that every first year event experiences"...  Undecided

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39743303/fyre-festival-turns-from-luxury-to-disaster-with-ticket-holders-stranded-in-bahamas

Crikey... Shocked

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #213 on: May 04, 2017, 03:23:36 AM »

Couldn't find the original post about this one so I thought I'd plonk it here.... Anyone going to the BIG WHISTLE FESTIVAL IN BURY at the weekend?

http://themet.biz/bigwhistle/

Looks more like a bagpipes than a whistle festival, but no harm in that! Luckily my sister lives near a tram stop so I'm coming over to do the weekend on a tram rover ticket. Paid up for Lankum/Lynched (Yaayy +++) in a main gig and a pub session; Skerryvore; Calan; Peatbog Faeries, and a couple more local turns. The Folk Awards best duo winners Ross Ainslie and Ali Hutton have unfortunately sold out but I'll try for a cancellation.

Looking good.  Anyone else going - I'd love to meet up for a pre-Cropredy pint or a natter...

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #214 on: May 08, 2017, 12:06:31 AM »

Well I'm back from this and have to say it was a lovely, enjoyable couple of days with a small but committed crowds. Nice venue with very pleasant and helpful staff.

My highlight - (no surprise!) Lankum (ex Lynched) were good as ever - and then after they did a lovely instrument-free (just the songs) informal workshop/performance in the adjacent pub teasing out the history of the music hall songs archive they plunder, and its fascinating relationship with the folk tradition. As well as a sh*t-hot band intensely dedicated to their craft, thoroughly laid back and lovely people.

Then a few I've seen before at Cropredy, but in a different light (light show + smoke vs sunny August afternoon...)

Calan - wow, they've grown up and blossomed - folk-trad music with a very different feel due to a) the heavy Welsh input, and b) the harp as a leading instrument (maybe the only portable harp playing I've ever seen).

Will Pound and Eddie Jay - Bohemian music with a virtuoso harmonica backed by an equally virtuoso accordionist. Incredibly technically brilliant, but ultimately a bit soulless for me.

Then the two headliners - Peatbog Faeries night 1, and Skerryvore night 2. The Peatbogs were intensely energy-laden pulsating acid house throbbing beat double bagpipe mayhem - with a pyrotechnic light and smoke show to match. Ultimately let down IMO by their strange style of sticking to the same dance tune for every different set (ie not building up a number around two or three different dance tunes, key changes, etc). Ultimately that made it for me that, energy-laden as it was, it ultimately all sounded the same.

Skerryvore, on the other hand, had the same amount of energy, the same double-bagpipe power factor, but had an infinitely wider variety in their tunes and within individual sets (and they did a lot of songs as well). As was mentioned, there is a big crossover with Runrig fans for obvious reasons.

So all in all, a lovely weekend with a small but energetic and appreciative crowd. I'm a happy bunny for a while...

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #215 on: May 08, 2017, 10:09:33 AM »

I love the Peatbogs but I agree their music does tend to sound the same.

I don't know anything about Skerryvore so I'm off to YouTube to do my homework!  Cheesy

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #216 on: June 03, 2017, 08:00:04 AM »

Over here, the Rock am Ring festival at Nuerburgring was evacuated last night for a serious terror threat (last year it was hit by lightning!) http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/02/rock-festival-germany-suspended-due-terror-threat/

If you wonder why they were singing 'You'll never walk alone', it is the anthem of Borussia Dortmund football club. Wierd last season when they played Liverpool in the Champions League and the whole stadium was singing it!
Nick - New Forest Folk Festival

Loc: Plaitford

at the New Forest Folk Festival

« Reply #217 on: August 19, 2017, 10:48:45 AM »

Heading off to Purbeck next Saturday for a look any TAWs going https://www.facebook.com/purbeck.folk/posts/880053195490799
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #218 on: August 19, 2017, 11:04:23 AM »

Not much on that list that does it for me.

But Patch and the Giant are very very good.
Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« Reply #219 on: August 27, 2017, 03:04:37 PM »

What's left this year then and what are peep's plans?

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: