TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:51:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Festival Chatter  (Read 395497 times)
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #160 on: May 31, 2016, 07:33:39 PM »

Great value (Especially if you book before Novemebr) lovely start to the festival year.
http://www.theatkinson.co.uk/special-event/love-folk-festival-2-2/

Happy mainly.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #161 on: May 31, 2016, 07:37:21 PM »

Great value (Especially if you book before Novemebr) lovely start to the festival year.
http://www.theatkinson.co.uk/special-event/love-folk-festival-2-2/

That looks really rather tasty indeed (well, the Saturday does, anyway, he whispers)...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #162 on: July 03, 2016, 01:00:04 PM »

Interesting article here, if somewhat unsettling to read about the 'music festival industry' but I suppose that is the way journalists write!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/07/02/do-the-growing-number-of-music-festivals-actually-make-any-money/

AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #163 on: July 07, 2016, 03:03:55 AM »

Yes, an interesting article. I liked the last paragraph quoting the IoW Festival organiser.
Festivals are an industry. Organisations trying to make money, paid workers, customers paying money, ...

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #164 on: July 31, 2016, 11:14:15 PM »

But he goes on to say.

"“The problem with me is that I don’t like gardening or golf, so I have got myself in a position of gambling huge sums of money to put on entertainment in a field. But it’s the best, most satisfying thing I have ever done.”

Cropredy is an established business with professional long term organisation, it will be close to a sell out this year and a sell out certainty next year. As long as they don't indulge themselves with Headline Artists who mainly appeal to musicians and a few regular fans (Joan Armatrading, Emmylou Harris) and have headliners most are keen to see (Alice Cooper,Squeeze,Waterboys) they will always do alright.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #165 on: August 31, 2016, 05:56:36 PM »

Two festivals in pretty much the same area of Wiltshire aren't happening in 2017 - Larmer Tree & Village Pump. Have we reached the zenith?

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #166 on: August 31, 2016, 07:30:44 PM »

Have we reached the zenith?

I sort of hope so...too many samey ones...we need something different.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
SandieAnn
n3wb

Loc: Birmingham, UK

« Reply #167 on: September 30, 2016, 07:47:32 AM »

I would welcome streaming of festivals, to a certain extent, as it's difficult for me to travel due to health issues. Want to go to the Banbury festival on the 8th October but looks doubtful I'll get there. Knowing I could still see it online would ease the disappointment, though I know nothing beats the atmosphere of a 'live' festival. Just, it'd be better than nothing Sad
PeterJ

« Reply #168 on: September 30, 2016, 11:53:33 AM »

Interesting article here, if somewhat unsettling to read about the 'music festival industry' but I suppose that is the way journalists write!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/07/02/do-the-growing-number-of-music-festivals-actually-make-any-money/

Scariest thing in the whole piece is that Glastonbury made "£86,000 in 2014". For all that outlay!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #169 on: September 30, 2016, 12:10:09 PM »

Scariest thing in the whole piece is that Glastonbury made "£86,000 in 2014". For all that outlay!

Music festivals are like football clubs - massive turnovers, tiny profits.  And they keep paying more and more to headliners and charging more and more for tickets which continues to miss the point.  Entirely.

blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #170 on: September 30, 2016, 12:54:15 PM »

Music festivals are like football clubs - massive turnovers, tiny profits.  And they keep paying more and more to headliners and charging more and more for tickets which continues to miss the point.  Entirely.

Just out curiosity what would an average Crop / Cambridge / Shrewsbury headliner charge?
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #171 on: September 30, 2016, 12:58:46 PM »

Just out curiosity what would an average Crop / Cambridge / Shrewsbury headliner charge?

I suspect the Thursday night headliners at Cropredy  from the last few years cost considerably more than any other headliner on any other day at any of those 3 festivals...?

JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #172 on: September 30, 2016, 02:18:34 PM »

Definitely, and by a big margin too.

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #173 on: September 30, 2016, 02:38:39 PM »

Who were they? Emmylou last year and the Pink Floydy people?
PeterJ

« Reply #174 on: September 30, 2016, 03:30:11 PM »

Floydy people were Friday
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #175 on: September 30, 2016, 03:52:45 PM »

I suspect the Thursday night headliners at Cropredy  from the last few years cost considerably more than any other headliner on any other day at any of those 3 festivals...?

Five minutes on Bing threw up a minimum fee for Madness of $75,000. Possibly less if they only have to pootle up the M40...  Fez

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
PeterJ

« Reply #176 on: September 30, 2016, 04:11:28 PM »

How much for the Waterboys?
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #177 on: September 30, 2016, 04:47:09 PM »

How much for the Waterboys?

More than a little, but less than a lot.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Martin F

Loc: Bicester

« Reply #178 on: September 30, 2016, 09:34:45 PM »

Before or after their contributions to the three charities?

Do androids dream of electric sheep?
PeterJ

« Reply #179 on: October 01, 2016, 02:24:01 AM »

Before or after their contributions to the three charities?
]"Glastonbury, meanwhile, saw pre-tax profits fall from £764,000 in 2013 to just £86,000 in 2014, although that was partly due to charitable donations. Other big festivals have been acquired by Live Nation and AEG Live, the industry’s dominant companies."

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: