TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:52:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Festival Chatter  (Read 395541 times)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2015, 08:40:03 AM »

This looks a jolly little event which I plan to attend on Saturday, near Stratford on Avon:

http://www.knittedcharacterfolkfestival.co.uk/

Gerry Colvin, Red Shoes and many others.

DW

Well that was a lot of fun. Was there for a few hours on Saturday afternoon and the set up was simply a couple of gazebos in a pub car park with only 100 or so punters there. Well worth the £20 to see Gerry Colvin Band, Marion Fleetwood and a great band from Cambridgeshire called Fred's House along with a range of other acts. TI even managed a line of knitting!!

If this one happens again give it a whirl.

DW
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2015, 11:21:45 AM »

First time we have been to the Wirral and it was very different!
Nice to meet up with Keith and Trev to kick off the merry Hell for Cropredy 2016 campaign. Grin

Nice spacious flat and very secure campsite , good concert hall but no obvious ways in from the campsite , which were well concealed and not signposted. The big downside was the number of rules which you were  made aware of far too often and which were thrust in your face by over officious staff - we even saw a headlining band being forced to sit down when they walked in the door!! Doesn't make for a friendly festival. The average age of the punters must have been at least 60 and the lack of marauding punks and chavs was particularly noticeable.
And if you open a bar in the concert hall don't be surprised when people use it!!
The music on the first two days was largely disappointing but the third was fabulous.

Merry Hell of course were superb and we were delighted they were given 2 sets due to another dropping out for petty reasons.
The biggest surprise was the magnificence of Harvey Andrews set having not seen him for about a hundred years. Could comfortably fill a certain spot at Cropredy.
Excellent sets too from Blackbeards , Reg Meuross(and was left wandering why I didn't enjoy him Cropredy, mind you the same happened once with the Moulettes, the beer probably!!) , Cara Dillon and Chris and Julie.
Another big surprise, not being keen on tribute bands, was Simply Dylan, with a set of lesser performed Dylan songs and very well performed .

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #122 on: June 09, 2015, 11:39:59 AM »

To the comment don't be surprised when people use the bar I should add dont be surprised if the over 60's want a pee regularly too. Grin

Field 7 is Heaven (Trev)
Field 7 deserter

Loc: Gogledd Cymru

I know where my towel is

« Reply #123 on: June 09, 2015, 12:11:48 PM »

My review of a brilliant Sunday coming up when work time allows.

Yes it was good to meet Nick and Keith.

Merry Hell were excellent, song that stood out for me ,(being a balding fat git), was loving the skin you're in.

We really have to get these onto the stage at Cropredy. Great songs,great performances by talented musicians and great stage presence.High octane too.
For me they would be simply brilliant at following after fairport's opening welcoming set. But they'll get the field on its feet at whatever time they were on.

Review a.s.a.p
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #124 on: June 09, 2015, 01:30:23 PM »

Nice spacious flat and very secure campsite

Which one did you stay in?  Wink
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #125 on: June 09, 2015, 01:39:44 PM »

Nice spacious flat and very secure campsite

Which one did you stay in?  Wink

The sports fields surrounding the club , surrounded by high fences. I believe the club and fields next door were used at one time though. Both cover a fair area.

William

« Reply #126 on: June 10, 2015, 10:23:17 PM »

I have only limited festival experience. I know Cropredy and Folk East. Would I enjoy Towersey?
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #127 on: June 10, 2015, 11:01:13 PM »

I have only limited festival experience. I know Cropredy and Folk East. Would I enjoy Towersey?

Yes

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #128 on: June 10, 2015, 11:23:00 PM »

Sorry, you probably want more detail than that...

Towersey is folky, multiple stages, prone to campfire singarounds and sessions, steeped in English Folk History...

It's a sit-down and dance festival - venues are either lined up with seating or equipped with dance floors (ostensibly for 'proper' dancing but often descending into moshing depending on who's playing). Not really a blanket and chill out festival (but then Cropredy has basically lost its blankets and is lined up with seating these days...)

Music is divided into lunch, afternoon, evening sessions, where 3-4 bands will be scheduled together in a set. This has its plus points in that it gives a good amount of time for exploring the site and grabbing food. On the flip side though it tends to lead to queuing before each session and in my opinion hampers the chance to wander between stages. It creates more opportunities for 'headliners' but of course makes more chance for headline acts to clash. This may or may not be an issue depending on what you think of the line-up, though I'll never forgive them for putting Blowzabella on at the same time as Bellowhead a few years back (nor will about half of Bellowhead for that matter!)

It's a long festival being on the bank holiday, and we've invariably come home knackered from it. Though that's partly self-inflicted due to it following on from 2-3 other festivals we go to in August.

Having said all that, Towersey is in a brand new location this year so everything will probably be different and none of the above will apply.

On the same weekend you could go up to Shrewsbury Festival or down to Purbeck Valley Folk Festival. All three are worth a visit if you fancy a folky weekend out and it's really a shame they clash to be honest.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #129 on: June 10, 2015, 11:26:48 PM »

Not sure about Towersey, as very very different this year. Starts a day later and finishes a lot earlier, different site, but if you've known no different will
 still be good.
William

« Reply #130 on: June 12, 2015, 08:36:40 PM »

Sorry, you probably want more detail than that...

Towersey is folky, multiple stages, prone to campfire singarounds and sessions, steeped in English Folk History...

It's a sit-down and dance festival - venues are either lined up with seating or equipped with dance floors (ostensibly for 'proper' dancing but often descending into moshing depending on who's playing). Not really a blanket and chill out festival (but then Cropredy has basically lost its blankets and is lined up with seating these days...)

Music is divided into lunch, afternoon, evening sessions, where 3-4 bands will be scheduled together in a set. This has its plus points in that it gives a good amount of time for exploring the site and grabbing food. On the flip side though it tends to lead to queuing before each session and in my opinion hampers the chance to wander between stages. It creates more opportunities for 'headliners' but of course makes more chance for headline acts to clash. This may or may not be an issue depending on what you think of the line-up, though I'll never forgive them for putting Blowzabella on at the same time as Bellowhead a few years back (nor will about half of Bellowhead for that matter!)

It's a long festival being on the bank holiday, and we've invariably come home knackered from it. Though that's partly self-inflicted due to it following on from 2-3 other festivals we go to in August.

Having said all that, Towersey is in a brand new location this year so everything will probably be different and none of the above will apply.

On the same weekend you could go up to Shrewsbury Festival or down to Purbeck Valley Folk Festival. All three are worth a visit if you fancy a folky weekend out and it's really a shame they clash to be honest.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Nick
William

« Reply #131 on: June 12, 2015, 08:47:27 PM »

Thanks for that Nick. Almost an essay. I suspect that clash of bands may be an issue depending on who is on at the same time as Bellowhead. Fatigue may be a problem the following week if we make it back to Oxfordshire to see Blackbeards Teaparty on Friday.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #132 on: July 17, 2015, 10:42:20 AM »

Acoustic Festival 2015 with plaster cast applied earlier that day. With Adrian W , Mr Whacker, Mallory |Towers and Geoff my chauffeur.

[Photo over 400 days old. Removed by Admin.]

Zoe
The answer's yes... now, what was the question?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Whittlesey

« Reply #133 on: August 23, 2015, 12:31:41 PM »

Going to Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in San Francisco this year, its free and held in Golden Gate Park, they have released two medleys over the last two weeks of people who have been booked, the full line up will be released soon.

So far we know
Week one medley the boys
1. Paul Weller
2. Boz Scaggs
3. The Stone Foxes
4. Ben Miller Band
5. Charles Bradley & His Extraordinaires
6. Monophonics
7. Leftover Salmon
8. The Blind Boys of Alabama
9. Chicano Batman
10. Pokey LaFarge

Week two the girls

Gillian Welch
Lera Lynn
Neko Case
Lee Ann Womack
Sister Sparrow & the Dirty Birds
Angel Olsen
Beth Hart
Huh
Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell  

Not looking bad so far  Grin

Its a fact that all the good words hang out in all the bad places
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #134 on: August 31, 2015, 03:23:56 PM »

Sadly this year's Fylde Folk n Roots festival has been cancelled due to poor ticket sales. Show of Hands had been set to headline.

http://www.fyldefolknroots.org/newsfeed/

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #135 on: September 01, 2015, 05:21:17 PM »

Going to Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival in San Francisco this year, its free and held in Golden Gate Park, they have released two medleys over the last two weeks of people who have been booked, the full line up will be released soon.

So far we know
Week one medley the boys
1. Paul Weller
2. Boz Scaggs
3. The Stone Foxes
4. Ben Miller Band
5. Charles Bradley & His Extraordinaires
6. Monophonics
7. Leftover Salmon
8. The Blind Boys of Alabama
9. Chicano Batman
10. Pokey LaFarge

Week two the girls

Gillian Welch
Lera Lynn
Neko Case
Lee Ann Womack
Sister Sparrow & the Dirty Birds
Angel Olsen
Beth Hart
Huh
Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell  

Not looking bad so far  Grin

Some real crackers there!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #136 on: February 01, 2016, 11:57:21 AM »

...and, playing the Sunday afternoon "legends" slot at Glastonbury 2016 - Jeff Lynne's ELO.  Sleepy

Flobbadob!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #137 on: February 01, 2016, 12:02:28 PM »

...and, playing the Sunday afternoon "legends" slot at Glastonbury 2016 - Jeff Lynne's ELO.  Sleepy
Excellent - I hope it's televised Smiley

mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2016, 07:14:21 PM »

How about this for a festival line up? And all for 50/- Grin

[Photo over 400 days old. Removed by Admin.]

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2016, 11:24:28 AM »

How about this for a festival line up? And all for 50/- Grin

They don't do 'em like that any more.... Sad

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: