TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:08:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Festival Chatter  (Read 402403 times)
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #560 on: February 02, 2023, 11:50:07 PM »

Cambridge Folk Festival 2023 line up announced - not for me unfortunately, not really sure why they are being so unadventourous.

Couldn’t agree more. I was thinking about it but it now.
Good undercard but headliners are not enough to get me there.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #561 on: February 03, 2023, 09:58:56 AM »

Cambridge Folk Festival 2023 line up announced - not for me unfortunately, not really sure why they are being so unadventourous.

Playing it safe may be the way to go to ensuring a continuing festival.

...and maybe the £'s exchange rate makes it a lot more expensive to book more USA/European acts. Or even Irish ones, come to think of it.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #562 on: February 03, 2023, 10:26:08 AM »

...and maybe the £'s exchange rate makes it a lot more expensive to book more USA/European acts. Or even Irish ones, come to think of it.

Brexit is more of an issue on that score.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #563 on: February 03, 2023, 10:40:48 AM »

Very little to interest me there. I 'm stuck after The Proclaimers and Imelda May. Cropredy, Beardy and NFFF are all far better, even Shrewsbury which looks a little thin at the moment.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #564 on: February 05, 2023, 08:08:22 PM »

Celtic Connections for the first time, this weekend,Very eclectic, plenty of fiddles and accordions but loads of other good stuff. There was a tribute event to the songs of Jackie Leven which was quite brilliant. Definitely recommend for a city festival 👍
garrypbrooks

« Reply #565 on: February 07, 2023, 04:59:28 PM »

Brexit is more of an issue on that score.

You may well have a point.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #566 on: February 07, 2023, 05:19:45 PM »

Purbeck Valley Folk Festival's line up is looking promising. They've just added Lady Nada (meh) and Fargo Railroad Co (big plus) to the bill.
As usual they are vague about who's playing when. I'm waiting to see which days Sheelanagig, Filkin's Ensemble and Faith i Branko are on before I decide.

Full line up so far at: https://www.purbeckvalleyfolkfestival.co.uk/line-up2023/,
garrypbrooks

« Reply #567 on: February 13, 2023, 09:06:19 AM »

Purbeck Valley Folk Festival's line up is looking promising. They've just added Lady Nada (meh) and Fargo Railroad Co (big plus) to the bill.
As usual they are vague about who's playing when. I'm waiting to see which days Sheelanagig, Filkin's Ensemble and Faith i Branko are on before I decide.

Full line up so far at: https://www.purbeckvalleyfolkfestival.co.uk/line-up2023/,

Sheelanagig confirmed for Saturday, along with Newton Faulkner (not  my cuppa) and Cut Throat Francis (sound interesting), so I'll book for the Satirday once tickets are available.
The excellent Sarah Jarosz is headlining Friday, so I'm keeping an eye on that day too.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #568 on: February 20, 2023, 10:05:05 AM »

Not a bad bill at the Bristol Folk Festival
https://bristolfolkfestival.org/

I'm lukewarm about Eliza Cathy, but the others all appeal, especially The Longest Johns
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #569 on: March 13, 2023, 12:23:35 PM »

Booked the Friday for Moseley - Graham Nash and Squeeze plus the undercard for a smidge over £60.

DW
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #570 on: March 13, 2023, 01:16:26 PM »

Booked the Friday for Moseley - Graham Nash and Squeeze plus the undercard for a smidge over £60.

DW

Nice one.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #571 on: March 22, 2023, 09:34:34 PM »

Orkney Folk Fest bill announced:

https://orkneyfolkfestival.com/news/40th-anniversary-line-up-announced/

On hols in the Orkneys with Mrs B late May, we shall definitely try to see the Hot Club of Cowtown and Spiers Breabach and Boden again, and a few new-to-us acts like Mo Kenney & Elephant Sessions.  

The bill's very heavy on instrumental fiddle-led bands, maybe not surprisingly.

Full programme at https://orkneyfolkfestival.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/03/Orkney-Folk-Festival-Brochure-2023.pdf
Pastieboy (Trev)
Cookie Monster
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: grantham

Remember me I'm still your native son.

« Reply #572 on: June 26, 2023, 03:07:03 PM »

Anyone going to Ely folk festival ? It’s been ages since I was last there . Great lineup

You are what you eat !!!
Pastieboy (Trev)
Cookie Monster
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: grantham

Remember me I'm still your native son.

« Reply #573 on: June 26, 2023, 03:09:25 PM »

Anyone going to Sherringham Lobster Potties Morris gathering this weekend ? . Looks like fun . I can’t wait

You are what you eat !!!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #574 on: July 19, 2023, 01:29:11 PM »

Bluedot have just announced they're banning chairs for the Fri-Sun (allowed on the Thur).  They're getting an absolute bollocking on social media...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #575 on: July 19, 2023, 02:15:00 PM »

We went to the first few Bluedots. They've always had a ban on chairs, which seemed to work well (there were a lot of those balloon things instead, which I think are fine as they're low down and fold away to nothing.) I guess the fuss is because they have allowed them on the Thursday but not the other days, so you can bring chairs and use them a bit but then you can't use them after that.

Its a good festival but they do have a habit of making rods for their backs. It was the first one I knew of to go completely cashless. Unfortunately they handled it badly by forcing people to set up and use accounts associated to a chip built into the wristband, so you had to transfer money somehow onto that wristband before you could buy anything, then (big mistake) you had to pay them a fee to have any remaining balance transferred back to you after the event. If they had said "use your credit cards, or set up an account with us if you need to" it would've worked a little better. It also didn't help that the venue, Jodrell Bank, is a radio-sensitive space research facility and so has deliberately poor radio coverage, which meant that most stalls struggled to trade!

Apart from that, it's a really good festival...

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #576 on: July 19, 2023, 05:17:33 PM »

Too many overpoliced rules can ruin a festival.We went to Wirral once but it was like being back at school. The ridiculous bag searches (which found nothing) were a pain too at the NFFF.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #577 on: July 19, 2023, 05:30:37 PM »

We went to the first few Bluedots. They've always had a ban on chairs, which seemed to work well (there were a lot of those balloon things instead, which I think are fine as they're low down and fold away to nothing.) I guess the fuss is because they have allowed them on the Thursday but not the other days, so you can bring chairs and use them a bit but then you can't use them after that.

Its a good festival but they do have a habit of making rods for their backs. It was the first one I knew of to go completely cashless. Unfortunately they handled it badly by forcing people to set up and use accounts associated to a chip built into the wristband, so you had to transfer money somehow onto that wristband before you could buy anything, then (big mistake) you had to pay them a fee to have any remaining balance transferred back to you after the event. If they had said "use your credit cards, or set up an account with us if you need to" it would've worked a little better. It also didn't help that the venue, Jodrell Bank, is a radio-sensitive space research facility and so has deliberately poor radio coverage, which meant that most stalls struggled to trade!

Apart from that, it's a really good festival...

I went to a single day of, I think the first, maybe the second one (I can't even remember who was there apart from - as was - British Sea Power).  It was a wet day and the car park was an unmanaged shambles.  I've never been back.

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #578 on: July 19, 2023, 07:11:33 PM »

Unmanaged, shambolic car parks are par for the course. We've had fun with these on many occasions. It took 2 hours to get out of Milton Keynes the other day after seeing Muse (admittedly, we took a picnic and sat in the boot of the car watching everyone else try and creep forward an inch at a time). We got out of Folk By The Oak last Sunday surprisingly quickly in spite of taking the 'proper' route, since cars who tried to take short-cuts got stumped by the sudden jump in level between the edge of the field and the exit road.

For Bruce, we went on the bus...

We stopped going to Bluedot after 2019 because we couldn't get there and back over a long weekend in term time. The festival's science fair gave us an excuse while the boy was at primary school and first few years of big school but it wouldn't wash once options and exams started looming.

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #579 on: July 19, 2023, 11:37:47 PM »

The ridiculous bag searches (which found nothing) were a pain too at the NFFF.

As part of the NFFF licence, the Police mandate that no alcohol may be taken into the arena. Bags etc are searched to comply with this. Sorry if that's inconvenient. Any suggestions as to how to comply with this condition other than in this manner would be welcomed. As to "finding nothing", thanks for your co-operation, but others aren't always compliant.

As Stewards at NFFF, Wendy and I believe it to be a friendly festival without arbitrary rules being applied.

Incidentally, another condition pre-2021 was that alcohol must not be taken out of the arena. This is no longer the case.

* Please note that this is not an official statement from NFFF, only Nick, Helen or Keith Curtis can make those.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: