TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 09:34:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Festival Chatter  (Read 402586 times)
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #580 on: July 19, 2023, 11:49:06 PM »

"Day in the Garden" Festival in 1998 was my most harrowing because there was a single, three-foot wide gap in the surrounding fence through which the entire crowd was funneled into the parking lot at the end of the evening. It turned into a cattle chute.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #581 on: July 20, 2023, 07:25:08 AM »

The ridiculous bag searches (which found nothing) were a pain too at the NFFF.

As part of the NFFF licence, the Police mandate that no alcohol may be taken into the arena. Bags etc are searched to comply with this. Sorry if that's inconvenient. Any suggestions as to how to comply with this condition other than in this manner would be welcomed. As to "finding nothing", thanks for your co-operation, but others aren't always compliant.

As Stewards at NFFF, Wendy and I believe it to be a friendly festival without arbitrary rules being applied.

Incidentally, another condition pre-2021 was that alcohol must not be taken out of the arena. This is no longer the case.

* Please note that this is not an official statement from NFFF, only Nick, Helen or Keith Curtis can make those.
it is pointless carrying out a search in such a way that would not find a combine harvester on my front lawn. If I had wanted to take something in they would never have found it.I asked and the only thing they found was a fruit knife! So some poor old toothless git  didn't have his apple. I object to having my flask opened and the temperature of my drink lowered. Or someone snorting into my water bottle thank you.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #582 on: July 20, 2023, 08:04:14 AM »

As part of the NFFF licence, the Police mandate that no alcohol may be taken into the arena.

Can anyone explain a single reason why the police might be interested in this, let alone why they might mandate such a thing?  The reason for such a 'rule' is much more likely to be about organisers wanting to maximise their incomes.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #583 on: July 20, 2023, 08:25:17 AM »

As part of the NFFF licence, the Police mandate that no alcohol may be taken into the arena.

Can anyone explain a single reason why the police might be interested in this, let alone why they might mandate such a thing?  The reason for such a 'rule' is much more likely to be about organisers wanting to maximise their incomes.
Any problems at Cropredy? Two questions for Andy - How are those authorised to rummage through my personal belongings been vetted or trained? Have you ever been assaulted by someone unvetted, untrained and totally unsuitable?

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #584 on: July 20, 2023, 08:39:18 AM »

Cropredy has its own set of rules. apart from being in a separate county, it has been going for so long that it gets away with a lot of things other festivals can't.

If you are alleging that you've been assaulted, please tell the organisers. The Security people used at NFFF all have been trained and have licenses. That's what you see on their armbands.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #585 on: July 20, 2023, 09:42:40 AM »

Cropredy has its own set of rules. apart from being in a separate county, it has been going for so long that it gets away with a lot of things other festivals can't.

If you are alleging that you've been assaulted, please tell the organisers. The Security people used at NFFF all have been trained and have licenses. That's what you see on their armbands.

I'm not alleging anything ! There are a lot of festivals young and old that don't behave that way in a lot of different counties. In fact the only other situation of such checks I have seen resulted in the sight of stewards throwing chairs about and barging punters out of the way in order to confiscate an empty bottle. That festival no longer exists. The NFFF is a civilised festival and it harms the ambience. Just not appropriate or necessary.

giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #586 on: July 20, 2023, 09:47:58 PM »

I have often wondered about that. Not questioning what organisers say but I would be interested to see the condition and understand the reasoning. Can anyone provide?
iandiddams

« Reply #587 on: July 21, 2023, 09:16:53 AM »

I have often wondered about that. Not questioning what organisers say but I would be interested to see the condition and understand the reasoning. Can anyone provide?

As a complete guess...

I know that when I have applied for TENs in the past (temporary event notices) for alcohol sales at local performace venues without a in house bar, in theory at least the application not only goes to the relevent department at my local council, but also to the local constabulary.  That latter part, AIUI, is merely a rubber stamp in my limited experience, but could be (COULD doing a LOT of heavy lifting here) that in these circumstances the constabulary HAVE imposed such a requirement, for their own reasons.  ie its not necessarily totally unlikely.

Please note I am NOT saying this IS the case in the example discussed.

I would also fully accept a cynical suspicion that it is an example of "false news" (shall i say) in order to maximise revenue at the in arena bars.

didds
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #588 on: July 21, 2023, 03:04:50 PM »

I suggest anyone wishing to query this contacts Nick Curtis.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #589 on: July 21, 2023, 06:21:54 PM »

Rather than be made to look like a serial moaner I feel that I have to mention that I have borderline Aspbergers and cannot bear to have my routines and personal space interfered with. Hence my aversion to having my belongings searched. I am definitely not being rude or awkward.

giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #590 on: July 22, 2023, 11:08:23 PM »

I suggest anyone wishing to query this contacts Nick Curtis.

I would stress that my confusion on this point is not solely directed at NFFF. Lots of festivals do it and NFFF is quite unique in running a bar at sensible prices and not overcharging. Most importantly for me, it is also unique in ordering enough red wine to last a weekend!
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #591 on: August 15, 2023, 01:00:53 PM »

News just in from Towersey -

The Proclaimers have had to cancel due to ill health but the Blockheads are headlining on the Friday instead.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Martin F

Loc: Bicester

« Reply #592 on: August 15, 2023, 01:06:31 PM »

The Proclaimers have had to cancel due to ill health but the Blockheads are headlining on the Friday instead.

Skindred step into their place at Beautiful Days.

Do androids dream of electric sheep?
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #593 on: August 15, 2023, 01:25:22 PM »

They've had to cancel the rest of their festival dates this month and a few at the start of Sept. It says on their FB page it is due to "Charlie having just suffered voice loss linked to having a perforated eardrum."

Full details at - https://www.facebook.com/TheProclaimers

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Sue & Chris

« Reply #594 on: August 18, 2023, 04:15:54 PM »

Skindred step into their place at Beautiful Days.

Billy Bragg at Moseley.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #595 on: August 24, 2023, 09:43:45 PM »

Solfest have apparently lost two of their four headliners. At least one due to Covid.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #596 on: August 25, 2023, 08:08:11 AM »

Solfest have apparently lost two of their four headliners. At least one due to Covid.

Who's pulled out?  There's a mighty wave of Covid doing the rounds at the moment, not that anybody seems remotely bothered...  As someone who's still not (knowingly) had it, I'm a little bit apprehensive but tbh I'd rather I had a viral load in the next month rather than waiting until I'm supposed to be in Oz.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #597 on: August 25, 2023, 09:29:00 AM »

Who's pulled out?  There's a mighty wave of Covid doing the rounds at the moment, not that anybody seems remotely bothered...  As someone who's still not (knowingly) had it, I'm a little bit apprehensive but tbh I'd rather I had a viral load in the next month rather than waiting until I'm supposed to be in Oz.

Just going from what a FB friend has said but its Hooky and De La Soul.

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #598 on: August 28, 2023, 10:17:25 AM »

The Present Mrs Kirk is off to All Points East today. No chairs, no food and no drink to be taken in, and you have to download the official app to get in in the first place (which then spams you for upgrades). Oh, and no rucksacks. Already sounds like a right laugh.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 10:56:00 AM by Shane (Skirky) » Logged

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #599 on: August 28, 2023, 11:34:08 AM »

The Present Mrs Kirk is off to All Points East today. No chairs, no food and no drink to be taken in, and you have to download the official app to get in in the first place (which then spams you for upgrades). Oh, and no rucksacks. Already sounds like a right laugh.
The present? How many do you get through?  Grin

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: