TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 05:58:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2015 who'd 'wanna see?  (Read 164393 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #320 on: May 12, 2015, 12:51:51 PM »

So, basically the same band will now go out as The Korgis?  Is that right?

James Warren and Andy Cresswell-Davis are the core of both bands and I believe that the same backing musicians will be touring with them. I'm a but out of touch as I abandoned them after Mutter quit (again). Andy C-D was keyboard player for Tears for Fears and Goldfrapp in his "downtime", by the way.

I find it hard to believe there is a much bigger audience for The Korgis than for Stackridge, but what do I know?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #321 on: May 12, 2015, 05:10:09 PM »

So, basically the same band will now go out as The Korgis?  Is that right?

James Warren and Andy Cresswell-Davis are the core of both bands and I believe that the same backing musicians will be touring with them. I'm a but out of touch as I abandoned them after Mutter quit (again). Andy C-D was keyboard player for Tears for Fears and Goldfrapp in his "downtime", by the way.

I find it hard to believe there is a much bigger audience for The Korgis than for Stackridge, but what do I know?

Personally, I think you're spot on. However "Everyone's got to learn sometime" (their hit) continues to keep Korgis in pocketfuls of smarties, especially as it features regularly in US TV programmes and films. RT covered the song as part of his 1000 Years of Popular Music, describing it on stage as the only good song to have been released in the 1980s. I don't know how many smarties they still earn from original sales and cover versions (Beck covered it for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, whilst the original was featured in an episode of House MD), but consider Gerry Rafferty was still getting in £84,000 a year from "Baker Street" when he died in 2011, 33 years after that was a hit. Stackridge never had a hit, so the income from that brand is worth considerably less than the Korgis brand, at least that's my guess. So, by once again appearing as Korgis, they may boost their income to the level of Twix Bars. Or something. And why not? We all have bills to pay.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #322 on: May 12, 2015, 09:26:22 PM »

When I saw them in Cardiff a year or two back (as support to Racing Cars, actually) the evening started with The Korgis before a quick change and voila, Stackridge were on stage. Very good, too. I have loads of Stackridge stuff on CD and vinyl, both old and new - but for me, you just can't improve on the first three albums.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #323 on: May 13, 2015, 06:58:13 AM »

When I saw them in Cardiff a year or two back (as support to Racing Cars, actually) the evening started with The Korgis before a quick change and voila, Stackridge were on stage. Very good, too. I have loads of Stackridge stuff on CD and vinyl, both old and new - but for me, you just can't improve on the first three albums.

Out of interest, what was the change?

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #324 on: May 13, 2015, 11:56:06 AM »

The Korgis did all the Korgis stuff (I know that sounds obvious) which was mainly quieter, low key numbers - It was Andrew and James, with another keyboard player. Then Stackridge came on with the full band and proceeded to present us with full on silliness and rhubabrb thrashing! It was clearly a different band. I'm not explaining this very well am I?

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: