TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 02:12:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 109   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Chatter  (Read 1089990 times)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1820 on: August 21, 2022, 10:08:38 PM »

Surprised to see the Albions were the dearest and the Bothy Band weren’t cheap either

The Dude abides
StephenB
something about the grinding beat
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

An Sasanach is fearr in Eirinn

« Reply #1821 on: August 21, 2022, 10:27:38 PM »

The Bothy Band were pretty big on the circuit in those couple of years. They headlined Salford Rag Ball in '78 I think., giving the mainstream rockers a run for their money.

One boxing match - what's that? A bout?
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1822 on: August 22, 2022, 09:49:32 AM »

Jan-Feb '78.  So, Wire, the Banshees, Talking Heads, Magazine, Rich Kids, XTC, Ultravox or...er, The Albion Dance Band?

This was one of those if you go back in time and can only go and see one what do you pick tweets... A bit of umming and aaaarghing but I think Wire for me.  Although the contrarian in me wants to say Deke's Iceberg.

ps £1 in '78 is £4.41 at 2021 prices (Bank of England inflation calculator)
Funny. Back then I would have been all over  Siouxsie, Penetration (loved Pauline Murray), Steele Pulse, Magazine, Dillinger, Sham 69, The Rezillos. Maybe XTC. Maybe Messrs Otway & Barratt.

These days it'd be Talking Heads, Link Wray, Deke Leonard, Colosseum. Quite fancy a Rich Kids reunion too....  Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1823 on: August 22, 2022, 10:35:31 AM »

I'd seen XTC and Wire in Hull around 78/79 so I'm with Gub , got to be Talking Heads  , still love "Fear Of Music"
No chance of them in Hull at any stage of their career

I did have a friend who was nuts about Radiators From Space .....but he loved the Heads more so...

Come on, man...call yourself a fan?  They played Donny in May 77 and a few days after this date...that's only 50 miles away  Wink Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #1824 on: August 22, 2022, 11:08:18 PM »

Picked up a copy of Acoustically Down Under on the vinly at a record stall this weekend, and it is absolutely terrific! Enjoying it now with a post-festival glass of red and the Prog magazine Full House article. Good times.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
malcolm talking elephant
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

« Reply #1825 on: August 24, 2022, 10:11:12 AM »

Isn't it a great album.... and with Swarb at the end with Rosie
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1826 on: August 24, 2022, 10:16:58 AM »

Probably one of the best Fairport Convention live albums ever. It's just consistently good all the way through !
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1827 on: August 24, 2022, 11:03:12 AM »

Probably one of the best Fairport Convention live albums ever. It's just consistently good all the way through !

I've not heard it before...and yes, it's a corker.  Thanks for the heads up.  "DJS in enjoying post-85 album shocker"....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1828 on: August 24, 2022, 06:30:37 PM »

I have just been Slothing, having picked up what I thought were three additional versions of the song not previously in my collection. One of these is the version from A Box of Pegg's. However to my ears this sounds very like the performance on the Before The Moon live album, despite there being a near 30 second difference in length. Is anyone able to confirm that these are indeed the same performance?
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1829 on: September 13, 2022, 08:56:13 AM »

I've just found four programmes lying around.  If anyone wants them before I put them on eBay, drop me a line.

A4 Christmas tour 1984 (I think - very late 4-piece lineup, Close to the Wind just released), A4 Spring tour 1986 (first with new lineup), A5 Cropredy 1987, A5 Cropredy 1988

Would prefer not to split.

* IMG_20220913_084843407.jpg (323.18 KB, 922x692 - viewed 789 times.)

* IMG_20220913_084856972.jpg (340.8 KB, 922x692 - viewed 780 times.)

Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1830 on: September 13, 2022, 09:05:42 AM »

I've just found four programmes lying around.  If anyone wants them before I put them on eBay, drop me a line.

A4 Christmas tour 1984 (I think - very late 4-piece lineup, Close to the Wind just released), A4 Spring tour 1986 (first with new lineup), A5 Cropredy 1987, A5 Cropredy 1988

I'm on a "getting rid of stuff" spree so I can't have them  Angry

Would love to read them tho!

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1831 on: September 13, 2022, 12:34:56 PM »

Have you considered lying to yourself? Wink Grin

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1832 on: September 13, 2022, 12:58:21 PM »

The blue one is the 84 one I guess ? I bought that one a while ago, but couldn't work out the year.

Well I never did..
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1833 on: September 13, 2022, 01:30:27 PM »

Have you considered lying to yourself? Wink Grin
Frequently!

Am actually considering if I should have them...

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1834 on: September 13, 2022, 01:48:48 PM »

The blue one is the 84 one I guess ? I bought that one a while ago, but couldn't work out the year.

The woodworm ad in the rear states that Close to the Wind is the new album. It's post-83 (The Boot for sale) and pre-86 and it talks about the Christmas tour as opposed to the Winter Tour...so I'm fairly confident it's '84.  I also saw them that year so it makes sense although I'm not totally convinced this was 'my' copy.

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1835 on: September 13, 2022, 06:33:03 PM »

I have loads of old programs in my silly hat drawer in the van, you are welcome to come and read them at any time. 😁I have to keep the hats in the van as they terrify the cat.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1836 on: September 13, 2022, 10:34:22 PM »

I have loads of old programs in my silly hat drawer in the van, you are welcome to come and read them at any time. 😁I have to keep the hats in the van as they terrify the cat.
See you next August then!  Smiley Thank you

markwood

« Reply #1837 on: September 14, 2022, 05:52:09 PM »

The woodworm ad in the rear states that Close to the Wind is the new album. It's post-83 (The Boot for sale) and pre-86 and it talks about the Christmas tour as opposed to the Winter Tour...so I'm fairly confident it's '84.  I also saw them that year so it makes sense although I'm not totally convinced this was 'my' copy.

I bought the blue one at my first Fairport concert at what was the Oxford Apollo, on the final date on their 1985 winter tour. (The flyers from the Apollo - I still have one - listed one of the band members as being "Simon Nichol"!) I think it was billed as something like the "Post Christmas Hangover Tour" - Earl Okin was the support, with special guests DM (who just played snare drum) and Chris Leslie. A very memorable and superb concert.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1838 on: September 14, 2022, 05:55:55 PM »

I bought the blue one at my first Fairport concert at what was the Oxford Apollo, on the final date on their 1985 winter tour. (The flyers from the Apollo - I still have one - listed one of the band members as being "Simon Nichol"!) I think it was billed as something like the "Post Christmas Hangover Tour" - Earl Okin was the support, with special guests DM (who just played snare drum) and Chris Leslie. A very memorable and superb concert.

Thanks for clarifying that, Mark.  I think I went to the Wimbledon Theatre show...

JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #1839 on: September 26, 2022, 08:40:06 AM »

I've inherited this but have no player. Free to a good home, just pay the postage!

* 20220924_085303 - Copy.jpg (148.7 KB, 800x1067 - viewed 457 times.)

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 [92] 93 94 ... 109   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: