TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 01:44:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ? about Richard Thompson bonus tracks  (Read 19544 times)
macademis
a hard anger innovator
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 10:17:50 AM »

So why does HMV have Japanese imports in their racks? Surely, there are cheaper versions to be had elsewhere if your logic holds true.

No such thing as good or bad music, just music you like and music you like less.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2013, 10:26:43 AM »

So why does HMV have Japanese imports in their racks? Surely, there are cheaper versions to be had elsewhere if your logic holds true.

The US versions are cheaper in Japan.  The Japanese versions, on the other hand, are imported here for collectors wanted the extra tracks, so the Japanese versions do well at home and abroad.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2013, 12:09:47 PM »

Bonus tracks in some regions only is a despicable trick

It's commonplace in Japan, most Japanese record companies insist on it these days. CDs are so expensive there it's usually cheaper for buyers to get them on import - so adding bonus tracks unavailable elsewhere is their way of persuading people to get the domestic version, even if it means paying a premium price.

And a handy way of squeezing the punters elsewhere

The Dude abides
ThomasB

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2013, 03:13:31 PM »

I just received the Japanese issue of Sweet Warrior with the extra tracks "Dust & Wine" and "Any Old Body". Besides the Island Richard & Linda reissues, are there any other Richard Thompson cd's with extra tracks on them? I believe I have everything released pre-Capitol Records, was curious if there were some gems lurking on cd singles or Japanese issues from the late 80's onward.

Thank you,
Thomas

Richard's official on-line discography is exhaustive, including detailed notations for every album and alternative version, identifying bonus tracks as such:  http://www.richardthompson-music.com/browse.asp

For example, he notes that the UK BGO CD release of "Across a Crowded Room" was mastered from the same source as a vinyl LP and thus omits the song "Shine on Love."

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I completely forgot about the song-o-matic on RT's site; that's a great resource.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2013, 04:12:48 PM »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I completely forgot about the song-o-matic on RT's site; that's a great resource.

It sure is.  It's helped me big time with info for buying Richard's back catalogue.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
arie

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 12:02:31 PM »

Late arrival - blame my boss for starting a procedure to fire me, as if work itself isn't time consuming enough Wink

"Living in Luxury", weak or not, wasn't something found on the cutting floor.
It was the b-side of the only single from "Shoot Out The Lights", the a-side was "Don't Renege On Our Love". Everyone who wanted it could buy it, provided you could find a copy.
So it is and was an appropriate choice for a bonustrack.
RT, or someone else, really must hate it, as it isnt only left off of the Deluxe Rhino Handmade version of SOTL, which has room enough for a bonus disc of live material, but also sort of written out of history as it isn't mentioned in the liner notes at all.
The single is mentioned, the a-side that is, there's a picture of it included too, but the title of the b-side is strategically obscured by another pic.

And (as if you really wanted to know) there were even two versions of said single, same picture sleeve, different colours
arie

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 01:29:59 PM »

here's the complete picture...

[Photo over 400 days old. Removed by Admin.]
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2014, 10:30:43 PM »

Somewhere (probably among his FAQs or answers to fan questions on his website) RT has said "Living in Luxury" was never intended for inclusion on the album "Shoot Out the Lights," and that its inclusion on the first Hannibal CD release of SOTL was contrary to his wish to preserve the integrity of the album.  His wishes were respected when LIL disappeared from subsequent CD editions.

He has said similar things about live and bonus tracks tacked on to other items in his catalogue in recent years, for instance with the Island reissues of the R&L Thompson catalogue.  I gather that the song selection and sequencing are an important part of his artistic process and revision/addition/meddling by others is never welcome.  (He has also complained about the compression on the Island reissues, but has noted that Island owns the tapes and can do whatever they want with them.)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2014, 11:00:07 AM »

Somewhere (probably among his FAQs or answers to fan questions on his website) RT has said "Living in Luxury" was never intended for inclusion on the album "Shoot Out the Lights," and that its inclusion on the first Hannibal CD release of SOTL was contrary to his wish to preserve the integrity of the album.  His wishes were respected when LIL disappeared from subsequent CD editions.

He has said similar things about live and bonus tracks tacked on to other items in his catalogue in recent years, for instance with the Island reissues of the R&L Thompson catalogue.  I gather that the song selection and sequencing are an important part of his artistic process and revision/addition/meddling by others is never welcome.  (He has also complained about the compression on the Island reissues, but has noted that Island owns the tapes and can do whatever they want with them.)

Though I think it's sad about 'Living in Luxury' (it's not that bad, IMO) I'm with RT about the Island remasters. Overdone noise reduction/compression there, and no mistake
peter m

« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2014, 01:11:42 PM »

For people like me who are late on the scene, the bonus tracks are an absolute godsend. Dark End of the Street , Together Again and some of the live versions are surely among the best. I'd love to see Crying in the Rain, Strange Affair etc live from 1980 on official release in similar quality.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: