TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:58:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ? about Richard Thompson bonus tracks  (Read 19555 times)
ThomasB

« on: November 03, 2013, 03:50:35 PM »

I just received the Japanese issue of Sweet Warrior with the extra tracks "Dust & Wine" and "Any Old Body". Besides the Island Richard & Linda reissues, are there any other Richard Thompson cd's with extra tracks on them? I believe I have everything released pre-Capitol Records, was curious if there were some gems lurking on cd singles or Japanese issues from the late 80's onward.

Thank you,
Thomas
Thor-Rune

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 08:07:00 PM »

"Shoot out the lights" with "Living in luxury". "Hand of kindness" with "Where the wind don't whine" springs to mind. And I would be very very surprised if there werenb't others...
Thor-Rune

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 08:10:55 PM »

Oh, and "Across a crowded room" with "Shine on love". There's a "Small town romance" CD with three extra tracks compared to the LP. And there is, of course, the expanded "Shoot out the lights" with an entire CD's worth of live tracks...
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 08:12:18 PM »

Bonus tracks in some regions only is a despicable trick

The Dude abides
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 10:16:47 PM »

Agreed.  Especially as I didn't know about the Hand Of Kindness or Small Town Romance ones.   Angry

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 09:18:16 AM »

Is "Where The Wind Don't Whine" a bonus track ? On my Hannibal cd, it's no. 5 on the tracklisting - don't bonus tracks normally get plonked on the end of albums ?
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 10:22:57 AM »

Bonus tracks are de-rigeur on Japanese discs of Western music....

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 10:59:10 AM »

Is "Where The Wind Don't Whine" a bonus track ? On my Hannibal cd, it's no. 5 on the tracklisting - don't bonus tracks normally get plonked on the end of albums ?

Oh, wait, then I have that one.  Phew.

Jules

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 11:04:42 AM »

Agreed.  Especially as I didn't know about the Hand Of Kindness or Small Town Romance ones.   Angry

Jules

AfaiK, the bonus 'Living in Luxury' is only now available on the Japanese edition of SOTL. It was on an early version  on HAnnibal, identifiable by the corner flash on the sleeve, but Joe decided to remove it for the later release, for some reason.

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 11:20:00 AM »

Jules

AfaiK, the bonus 'Living in Luxury' is only now available on the Japanese edition of SOTL. It was on an early version  on HAnnibal, identifiable by the corner flash on the sleeve, but Joe decided to remove it for the later release, for some reason.

AT RT's request I believe as he dislikes the track and thought it detracted from the album.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 11:29:58 AM »

AT RT's request I believe as he dislikes the track and thought it detracted from the album.

Indeed.  I think he made some joke about it being a special reissue with that track missing, kind of "now without Living In Luxury!".  It is a pretty weak song, to be fair.

So naturally I made sure I got the version that includes it.   Roll Eyes

Jules

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 11:30:57 AM »

Jules

Right, Joe not to blame then. And wasn't it also due to RT himself that Small Town Romance took so long to come out on CD at all? STR  is actually on e of my favourite Thompson releases.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 11:36:27 AM »

Indeed.  I think he made some joke about it being a special reissue with that track missing, kind of "now without Living In Luxury!".  It is a pretty weak song, to be fair.

So naturally I made sure I got the version that includes it.   Roll Eyes

Jules

As did I, though to be fair it was the only version available at the time.
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 11:36:59 AM »

There was some sort of "settlement" between RT and Boyd in the mid-nineties relating to the Hannibal reissues of Island albums. One of RT's demands was that the vinyl/CD of Small Town Romance be immediately deleted as he disliked it at the time. He did relax about it years later though and was happy for the CD to come out again.
Thor-Rune

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 07:22:35 PM »

It is a bonus track cos it wasn't on the original LP. Yes, I agree bonus trax are normally at the end. But this one wasn't for some strange reason. "Where the Wind don't whine" was also issued as a single B-side...
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 07:58:19 PM »

It is a bonus track cos it wasn't on the original LP. Yes, I agree bonus trax are normally at the end. But this one wasn't for some strange reason. "Where the Wind don't whine" was also issued as a single B-side...

You're absolutely right, after digging a little deeper (www.discogs.com and the Patrick Humphries RT biography), have discovered this song is an extra track on cd versions of this album. Doesn't sound like an afterthought, though, and fits in very well ; it's actually one of my favourite songs from Hand Of Kindness...
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 09:55:12 PM »

You're absolutely right, after digging a little deeper (www.discogs.com and the Patrick Humphries RT biography), have discovered this song is an extra track on cd versions of this album. Doesn't sound like an afterthought, though, and fits in very well ; it's actually one of my favourite songs from Hand Of Kindness...

Never caught that before either, and I agree with Dan. It doesn't have that close but not quite touch that bonus tracks seem to have. The other thought I have is at 8 tracks, that's a short album in its original version, though I suppose one could say the same about Shoot Out The Lights.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 11:24:40 PM »

I just received the Japanese issue of Sweet Warrior with the extra tracks "Dust & Wine" and "Any Old Body". Besides the Island Richard & Linda reissues, are there any other Richard Thompson cd's with extra tracks on them? I believe I have everything released pre-Capitol Records, was curious if there were some gems lurking on cd singles or Japanese issues from the late 80's onward.

Thank you,
Thomas

Richard's official on-line discography is exhaustive, including detailed notations for every album and alternative version, identifying bonus tracks as such:  http://www.richardthompson-music.com/browse.asp

For example, he notes that the UK BGO CD release of "Across a Crowded Room" was mastered from the same source as a vinyl LP and thus omits the song "Shine on Love."
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 09:03:38 AM »

Thank you,
Thomas

Richard's official on-line discography is exhaustive, including detailed notations for every album and alternative version, identifying bonus tracks as such:  http://www.richardthompson-music.com/browse.asp

For example, he notes that the UK BGO CD release of "Across a Crowded Room" was mastered from the same source as a vinyl LP and thus omits the song "Shine on Love."

I'v e never heard or heard of Shine of Love, as I only have the LP of AACR, purchased when it came out. So I've learned something.  Cool
Col D

Loc: South Cheshire

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 09:28:37 AM »

It's commonplace in Japan, most Japanese record companies insist on it these days. CDs are so expensive there it's usually cheaper for buyers to get them on import - so adding bonus tracks unavailable elsewhere is their way of persuading people to get the domestic version, even if it means paying a premium price.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: