TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:17:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would have been great in FC ...  (Read 40838 times)
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2013, 09:25:39 AM »

I hate being cynical but I've been thinking along those lines. Gerry and Peggy will both be 70 in 2017, Mr Nicol in 2020, although there's no reason why they should stop then, of course!

Never mind the band, there are quite a few members of the audience who would like to know when we can 'retire'.
When can we just sit at home and listen to the LPs, without being drawn to an open field for three days, or leave our cosy hearths on winter nights?

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2013, 10:15:53 AM »

I hate being cynical but I've been thinking along those lines. Gerry and Peggy will both be 70 in 2017, Mr Nicol in 2020, although there's no reason why they should stop then, of course!

Never mind the band, there are quite a few members of the audience who would like to know when we can 'retire'.
When can we just sit at home and listen to the LPs, without being drawn to an open field for three days, or leave our cosy hearths on winter nights?

Some of us have already taken early retirement.

I suddenly realised that seeing them at the GBBF in December means that I don't need to attend the Wintour this year, which came as a curious relief even though they are actually playing in my home town this time around.
Gouty (Gary)
still struggling with the theme to Bagpuss
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2013, 10:31:39 AM »

So, Jules: 'Tonight, Matthew, I'm going to be --------------- from Fairport Convention!'

I cannot help but notice the guitar you brandish in your TAW photo  Roll Eyes but that may be a red herring   Huh . Just what form would your singular, yet boldly asserted, contribution to our beloved band take?

It's about time they had a Jagger-esque frontman.  I'd bring some real glamour to the band.   Cool

Jules

I'm sure you would, Jules  Wink

In the meantime, thanks to you, I now have the sound of the real Jagger singing The Hexamshire Lass going round and round my head on a loop..  Shocked
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 10:45:17 AM by Gouty (Gary) » Logged

'Eggs, bread, cigs, milk...'
Gouty (Gary)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2013, 10:44:29 AM »

I suddenly realised that seeing them at the GBBF in December means that I don't need to attend the Wintour this year, which came as a curious relief even though they are actually playing in my home town this time around.

Fairport at the Great British Beer Festival sounds like a match made in Heaven, Al  Wink

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2013, 10:44:55 AM »

In the meantime, thanks to you, I now have the sound of the real Jagger singing The Hexamshire Lass going round and round my head in a loop..  Shocked

Or maybe Matty Groves...

"I can't get no....I can't get up for my life!"

Wink

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2013, 11:14:00 AM »

Fairport at the Great British Beer Festival sounds like a match made in Heaven, Al  Wink

Oops. Freudian slip. GBFF of course. Sadly I haven't got to the GBBF for some years.
Gouty (Gary)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2013, 11:19:23 AM »

Oops. Freudian slip. GBFF of course. Sadly I haven't got to the GBBF for some years.

Funnily enough, the GBBF is one event I've retired from as I found all the queuing, the noise, the crowds etc. too much like hard work Sad

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2013, 08:56:12 AM »

Now, here's a strange coincidence... I posted on here the other day that I thought John Wetton could have fitted in well in FC.

Yesterday, I read in Robert Fripp's extensive sleeve notes to "The Road to Red" that:

"Rick Kemp auditioned for King Crimson in 1970, and actually joined the group - for three days.  It was rather too much for this excellent player.  The audition and rehearsals were recorded, and are now part of my personal KC archive material".

Well...

Flobbadob!
Austin S

Loc: Iowa City, IA, USA

« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2013, 06:09:23 PM »

Now, here's a strange coincidence... I posted on here the other day that I thought John Wetton could have fitted in well in FC.

Yesterday, I read in Robert Fripp's extensive sleeve notes to "The Road to Red" that:

"Rick Kemp auditioned for King Crimson in 1970, and actually joined the group - for three days.  It was rather too much for this excellent player.  The audition and rehearsals were recorded, and are now part of my personal KC archive material".

Well...

Those would be awfully cool to hear... Maybe something will pop up in the archival material 'Free Download' section someday. Seems like it would match the type of thing they post there regularly.
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #69 on: October 28, 2013, 08:18:37 PM »

In the meantime, thanks to you, I now have the sound of the real Jagger singing The Hexamshire Lass going round and round my head on a loop..  Shocked

Gosh, so have I now; and it's horrible!
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2013, 03:17:38 PM »

Of course, the Albions did replace the entire band a couple of years ago. But despite the numerous line-up changes over the years, I'd hate to see FC (or SS) go the same way. The Albion Band always was an even more fluid line up than either of their 2 sister bands ...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: