TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:29:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Rising for the moon" deluxe  (Read 67852 times)
Austin S

Loc: Iowa City, IA, USA

« Reply #60 on: August 29, 2013, 03:39:10 PM »

Well, this arrived yesterday and I have to say it is a nice little package. The music is of course excellent and the packaging reasonably imaginitive. There is a picture in the booklet of the band arriving for a Scandinavian tour in which DM looks ridiculously young and underfed!

Somebody made the interesting observation on the Mojo website that Universal have got it into their heads that the only saleable thing about Fairport is Sandy, hence this release and that the albums between L&L & Moon are unlikely to receive similar treatment despite the plethora of potential additional material available. I hope they are wrong about Universal's dismissive attitude but I suspect not.

A deluxe 'Babbacombe Lee' with a DVD containing 'The Man They Couldn't Hang' would be so lovely but so unlikely... Ah, well, one can dream  Roll Eyes

I'm still disappointed my AmazonUK copy wouldn't ship.... I may have to track it down through alternate venues (Burning Shed?).

do you not have any one here who could get the cd and post it on for you?

Not yet! Perhaps it would just require asking?  Smiley
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2013, 03:39:38 PM »

could be

The Dude abides
Austin S

Loc: Iowa City, IA, USA

« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2013, 03:40:34 PM »

Well, here goes then!  Wink

Would anybody be willing to post me a copy, with myself of course paying full CD price as well as shipping and packaging?  Smiley
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2013, 05:14:22 PM »

Any idea on whether the original album is newly remastered, or is it the remastered version that came out a few years ago?

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
trewin

« Reply #64 on: August 30, 2013, 09:08:02 AM »

In the enclosed booklet there is a review from the Melody Maker for a gig at Leicester Univ. The reviewer mentions the members of the band including Dave Todd on Mandolin! Was he a special guest or should it be Dave Pegg?
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2013, 01:04:04 PM »

Any idea on whether the original album is newly remastered, or is it the remastered version that came out a few years ago?

The 2005 version:- "Tape transfers and remastering: Paschale Byrne at The Audio Archiving Company"

The 2013 version:- "Mastering by Keiron McGarry at Universal Mastering, London" - however, it's not clear to me whether this refers only to the 2nd (live) disc or to both discs.

I'll have to listen closely to each version of the original album to see if I can hear any differences...

BTW, the bonus tracks on these 2 versions are different -

2005: Tears (White Dress b side), RFTM (Sandy demo); Stranger to Himself (Sandy demo), and Once More Chance (Sandy demo).

2013: White Dress (LWT live), Dawn (alt version), What is True? (studio demo), After Halloween (home demo), and The King & Queen of England (alt take of home demo)

No lyrics printed in the 2013 booklet.

Flobbadob!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2013, 01:07:56 PM »

BTW, the bonus tracks on these 2 versions are different -

2005: Tears (White Dress b side), RFTM (Sandy demo); Stranger to Himself (Sandy demo), and Once More Chance (Sandy demo).

2013: White Dress (LWT live), Dawn (alt version), What is True? (studio demo), After Halloween (home demo), and The King & Queen of England (alt take of home demo)

Did they leave Tears off then?  That seems to be a bit of an oversight.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2013, 05:10:15 PM »

Yep, they did. Typical...  Roll Eyes

Flobbadob!
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2013, 05:11:24 PM »

Yep, they did. Typical...  Roll Eyes

I suppose that at least that means we don't have to throw our old copies away....   Undecided

Jules

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2013, 06:03:24 PM »

Unless you have The Attic Tracks comp on which it appears. Presumably it is also on the big Sandy Box?
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2013, 06:31:50 PM »

Unless you have The Attic Tracks comp on which it appears. Presumably it is also on the big Sandy Box?

Not sure.  I can't even remember who sings it!

Jules

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #71 on: August 30, 2013, 07:03:40 PM »

Trevor - I think - not in the box according to Thikkipedia (so it could be on there!) It also tells us that the bonus tracks on the box set version of Rising are :Bonus tracks

"White Dress" (Alternate version)unreleased
    "Dawn" (Alternate version)unreleased
    "One More Chance" (alternate take)unreleased
    "Breakfast in Mayfair" (from The Man They Couldn't Hang)

Well I never did..
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2013, 10:37:30 AM »

Trevor - I think - not in the box according to Thikkipedia (so it could be on there!) It also tells us that the bonus tracks on the box set version of Rising are :Bonus tracks

If it's a Trevor vocal then it won't be on the Sandy box.

Jules

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2013, 11:08:33 AM »

Yeah - my attempt at a lame joke,was Wikki can be so wrong sometimes,that it would be on it,despite it being a Trev vocal.
I just used Wikki as a back up to my memory,rather than get my butt up from the PC and go upstairs and check the actual Attic Tracks CD.
I long ago burned my own collection of Sandy vocal bonus/unreleased tracks from all the various comps and reissues,which was,of course out of date within a month!
As a result,I haven't heard Tears or Girls Of The Avenue and so on for years...sorry Trev,I'll put that right soon enough.

Well I never did..
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2013, 12:54:13 PM »

Ah, that just goes to show how long it is since I last listened to The Attic Tracks! I can't actually remember the song at all.  Embarrassed

Jules
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2013, 05:36:23 PM »

It is indeed a Trevor Lucas song, written and sung by him

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2013, 06:15:27 PM »

Jules

Ah, that just goes to show how long it is since I last listened to The Attic Tracks! I can't actually remember the song at all.  Embarrassed

Fairquote Confusion!
NeilMcLaughlin

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #77 on: September 04, 2013, 11:24:36 AM »

I haven't even listened to this yet, it arrived in the mail yesterday.  But I was wondering if I was the only one dismayed by the stupid
packaging of the wide "sticker-band" that wraps the thing closed and has another sticker atop that, leading to the dilemma of do you
try removing the sticker(s) and risk tearing or leaving a sticky residue behind, or do you try and cut off just that portion that keeps you
from opening the damn thing?  Why on earth they felt the need to add so much extraneous adhesive is completely beyond me.  Surely a non-sticky paper band could have worked.  I ended up opting for the cut carefully where necessary to open option, as it seemed the safest way not to be left with a complete mess.  Anyone else just remove both stickers, and if so, any paper bits or sticky adhesive making you regret the choice?

Is it too late to change the way we're bound to go?
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2013, 11:28:22 AM »

I haven't even listened to this yet, it arrived in the mail yesterday.  But I was wondering if I was the only one dismayed by the stupid
packaging of the wide "sticker-band" that wraps the thing closed and has another sticker atop that, leading to the dilemma of do you
try removing the sticker(s) and risk tearing or leaving a sticky residue behind, or do you try and cut off just that portion that keeps you
from opening the damn thing?  Why on earth they felt the need to add so much extraneous adhesive is completely beyond me.  Surely a non-sticky paper band could have worked.  I ended up opting for the cut carefully where necessary to open option, as it seemed the safest way not to be left with a complete mess.  Anyone else just remove both stickers, and if so, any paper bits or sticky adhesive making you regret the choice?

I agree totally about the stupidity of that aspect of the packaging. Having said that, the sticky band and associated sticker both came off my copy easily without leaving any residue. I think they must have used some sort of low tack adhesive so if you are careful you should be ok.
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #79 on: September 04, 2013, 12:50:56 PM »

Both band & sticker removed cleanly from my copy too. Phew!

Flobbadob!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: