TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 20, 2024, 05:33:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Rising for the moon" deluxe  (Read 67543 times)
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2013, 05:43:12 PM »

Ok, at the start of the thread I was ambivalent, but have now been tempted to get this reissue by the prospect of a good quality live recording of the RFTM lineup.
Regarding the point I raised earlier about having the full video clip for "White Dress", who actually owns it and would need to give clearance for us to see it in full ? The 40 second clip on YouTube is a teaser of epic proportions...
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2013, 05:51:09 PM »

Ok, at the start of the thread I was ambivalent, but have now been tempted to get this reissue by the prospect of a good quality live recording of the RFTM lineup.

Yes, I think my arm's been twisted too.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2013, 06:44:04 PM »

Regarding the point I raised earlier about having the full video clip for "White Dress", who actually owns it and would need to give clearance for us to see it in full ? The 40 second clip on YouTube is a teaser of epic proportions...

Finally got around to watching that clip Dan. It is indeed fabulous and long to see it in full some day.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2013, 08:29:25 PM »

Arm twisted, CD ordered.

Flobbadob!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2013, 09:54:32 AM »

Tempted, but still think that, having got a number of the LA Troubadour tracks on other compilations, I may just download the new ones and recreate my own version of the concert.  Apart from the LWT White Dress, the other bonus tracks look like ones available elsewhere.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2013, 12:43:17 PM »

I have pre-ordered this from Amazon, and have just been informed that I can download the MP3 version now (it's part of their new "Auto-Rip" thingy). So, that's what I'm currently doing.
Peter H-K

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2013, 12:46:13 PM »

I have pre-ordered this from Amazon, and have just been informed that I can download the MP3 version now (it's part of their new "Auto-Rip" thingy). So, that's what I'm currently doing.

Aha! Now that it's downloaded, I've realised that that's not what I was doing! What you get to download is the existing remastered version, not the version (with live tracks) to be released shortly. Rubbish.  Cry
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2013, 02:02:28 PM »

Aha! Now that it's downloaded, I've realised that that's not what I was doing! What you get to download is the existing remastered version, not the version (with live tracks) to be released shortly. Rubbish.  Cry

I think that may be a mistake on Amazon's part. I wouldn't have anticipated that the new version will be available even for download until the official release date. Hopefully they will update the Auto-Rip database then.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2013, 06:29:28 PM »

Yes, I would definitely contact Amazon Peter, that is a mistake on their side of the deal. I've always found them really helpful in the past.

No Left Turn Unstoned
Peter H-K

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2013, 06:49:34 PM »

Yes, I would definitely contact Amazon Peter, that is a mistake on their side of the deal. I've always found them really helpful in the past.

Thanks, will do.
Joss

Loc: Castle Cary, Somerset

« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2013, 10:42:55 PM »

Ordered direct from the official website www.burningshed.com.  Interesting to note that, according to this website "All rights remain with the artists whose music Burning Shed releases and more profits go directly to the artists than with sales generated elsewhere."     Much better than ordering from A**Z*N !! Grin

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2013, 08:04:04 AM »

Ordered direct from the official website www.burningshed.com.  Interesting to note that, according to this website "All rights remain with the artists whose music Burning Shed releases and more profits go directly to the artists than with sales generated elsewhere."     Much better than ordering from A**Z*N !! Grin

Not as cheap though and given that the album is being released by Universal, not by Burning Shed, they will have no control whatsoever over either the rights or the artists' share of the profits. Indeed, as they are selling it for more than Amazon I would guess that they are taking a bigger cut over the dealer price for themselves, no doubt because their overheads are bigger.
macademis
a hard anger innovator
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2013, 08:55:24 AM »

The Burning Shed price would contain a larger % of overhead, but also a larger % of tax!

No such thing as good or bad music, just music you like and music you like less.
Austin S

Loc: Iowa City, IA, USA

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2013, 02:27:59 AM »

Well, bummer, AmazonUK won't take my credit card... Haven't had this problem before, so it's a crummy time for it to start  Embarrassed
Dominic

Loc: Manchester, England

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2013, 08:29:04 AM »

I have had the reissue for a few weeks for review.

I wrote this review; http://louderthanwar.com/fairport-convention-rising-for-the-moon-deluxe-edition-album-review/

I hope that you like it. I know that TAW'ers have many of the tracks contained herein, so tried to be general and laud the reissue for people who may not have heard the band before.

I'm a massive FC fan, hence my (very minimal) presence on the board.

Dom.

hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2013, 08:44:26 AM »

I wrote this review; http://louderthanwar.com/fairport-convention-rising-for-the-moon-deluxe-edition-album-review/

I hope that you like it. I know that TAW'ers have many of the tracks contained herein, so tried to be general and laud the reissue for people who may not have heard the band before.

Dom.

Thanks Dom.
Why does 'a massive FC fan' not contribute to a board that is primarily about FC? You may find there are one or 2 others, particularly about early incarnations of the band, who bought most of the stuf first time round. Cheesy
Dominic

Loc: Manchester, England

« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2013, 08:53:10 AM »

Dom.

Thanks Dom.
Why does 'a massive FC fan' not contribute to a board that is primarily about FC? You may find there are one or 2 others, particularly about early incarnations of the band, who bought most of the stuf first time round. Cheesy

I like to read people's opinions Dave. I tend to keep my head down!

I appreciate the reissue debate of people already owning reissues etc. I've been lucky to have this one. Also own other versions of RFTM.

I've reappreciated this album after listening to it a lot for the review.

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2013, 09:16:35 AM »

Well, this arrived yesterday and I have to say it is a nice little package. The music is of course excellent and the packaging reasonably imaginitive. There is a picture in the booklet of the band arriving for a Scandinavian tour in which DM looks ridiculously young and underfed!

Somebody made the interesting observation on the Mojo website that Universal have got it into their heads that the only saleable thing about Fairport is Sandy, hence this release and that the albums between L&L & Moon are unlikely to receive similar treatment despite the plethora of potential additional material available. I hope they are wrong about Universal's dismissive attitude but I suspect not.
Austin S

Loc: Iowa City, IA, USA

« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2013, 02:54:06 PM »

Well, this arrived yesterday and I have to say it is a nice little package. The music is of course excellent and the packaging reasonably imaginitive. There is a picture in the booklet of the band arriving for a Scandinavian tour in which DM looks ridiculously young and underfed!

Somebody made the interesting observation on the Mojo website that Universal have got it into their heads that the only saleable thing about Fairport is Sandy, hence this release and that the albums between L&L & Moon are unlikely to receive similar treatment despite the plethora of potential additional material available. I hope they are wrong about Universal's dismissive attitude but I suspect not.

A deluxe 'Babbacombe Lee' with a DVD containing 'The Man They Couldn't Hang' would be so lovely but so unlikely... Ah, well, one can dream  Roll Eyes

I'm still disappointed my AmazonUK copy wouldn't ship.... I may have to track it down through alternate venues (Burning Shed?).
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2013, 03:37:05 PM »

A deluxe 'Babbacombe Lee' with a DVD containing 'The Man They Couldn't Hang' would be so lovely but so unlikely... Ah, well, one can dream  Roll Eyes

I'm still disappointed my AmazonUK copy wouldn't ship.... I may have to track it down through alternate venues (Burning Shed?).

do you not have any one here who could get the cd and post it on for you?

The Dude abides
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: