TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:53:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Rising for the moon" deluxe  (Read 67850 times)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2013, 01:10:21 AM »

Almost a classic but for (sadly) Swarb's efforts Let it Go and Night Time Girl. Both poor IMHO.

Peggy gets 50% of the blame for the utterly execrable Night Time Girl.  And they both get to split the blame for the uninspired Let It Go three ways w/ Sandy.

Jules

Except I wonder how much blame should go to Peggy et al, and instead be placed on Glyn Johns whom I do not think "got" what Fairport were about. I always felt that he threw a very reluctant bone to Trevor for Restless and Iron Lion, and an even more reluctant bone to Swarb for Night Time Girl and Let It Go. Let It Go barely clocks in at 2 minutes if I remember correctly. I don't think he had any sort of confidence in Swarb or any desire to spend time showcasing him on the album. Certainly no secret what Swarb thought about him at the time, it has been documented. That being said, I am interested in this, and while I think Sandy's stuff will sound great, I would be pleased to hear Trevor's songs with improved sound.

And I will add I like Night Time Girl, just should have been 2 minutes longer with more of that fiddle Grin

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2013, 08:40:51 AM »

Strange about Swarb.  He was on fire as a writer for "Babbacombe" Lee and Nine, but seemed to lose confidence once Sandy came back.  I'm sure, as Robert says, that Glynnis had a lot to do with it.  Even on the two Vertigo LPs, Swarb shied away from writing new songs, though he was back on form writing tunes for Jack Orion.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2013, 11:05:08 AM »

Disc One features the original album re-mastered plus the audio from LWT performance of “White Dress” plus Demo versions of “What Is True ?” and “After Halloween” and alternate Takes of “The King and Queen of England” and “Dawn”.

Indulge me for a moment in my pointless pedantic rage: why does nobody these days seem to know what "alternate" means, or that in contexts like this, the correct word is "alternative"?
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2013, 11:09:58 AM »

Indulge me for a moment in my pointless pedantic rage: why does nobody these days seem to know what "alternate" means, or that in contexts like this, the correct word is "alternative"?

Not in American English, which has become the standard in these affairs.

Jules

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2013, 11:30:45 AM »

Well, for me, there's nowt wrong with the UNremastered CD of RFTM. I got this in a very early boxed set with Rosie, Babbacombe Lee and Nine.

As a Sandy-era Fpt album, I rather like it, but that's just me, innit? Cool
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2013, 11:40:32 AM »

Jules

Well, it shouldn't have.  Wink
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2013, 11:57:51 AM »

Well, for me, there's nowt wrong with the UNremastered CD of RFTM. I got this in a very early boxed set with Rosie, Babbacombe Lee and Nine.

Same here but it was manufactured by the notorious PDO factory and is slowly turning brown and disintegrating along with several other Fairport & Richard & Linda Thompson discs from the same source and time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_Disc_bronzing
Nick the Stick
distracted by some wiggly string
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Eastbourne

Alright here?

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2013, 01:10:09 PM »

Jules

Well, it shouldn't have.  Wink

Damn right.
As for Mr Johns, I understand it was as a result of his attitude that DM left, and for that reason alone we should not be thankful.

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2013, 02:26:24 PM »

As for Mr Johns, I understand it was as a result of his attitude that DM left, and for that reason alone we should not be thankful.

Amen.

Jules

RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2013, 03:30:38 PM »

Same here but it was manufactured by the notorious PDO factory and is slowly turning brown and disintegrating along with several other Fairport & Richard & Linda Thompson discs from the same source and time.

Same here as to the box set for those 4 albums but I had no idea about bronzing. Thanks Al for the heads up. A quick look confirms it for those 4 but my copy of Angel Delight looks in very bad shape as their is discoloration on the business end of the disc. Sad I hardly ever play the actual disc anymore, instead I hook the ipod up to the stereo but I guess I will be looking for remasters of all of the above now. Thanks for that info

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Swamp Donkey (Keith)

Loc: Bedfordshire

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2013, 06:16:12 PM »

I also had no idea about bronzing. Looking at my box set of four confirms my worst fear. (Also found on many more from that era) Although I store and play digitally at home, I still like to play CD's in the car. Oh well, new copies for me then (starting with RFTM deluxe) Should be labeled with "This disc will self destruct in x years"

Keith

Well it's turned out nice again!
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2013, 06:30:06 PM »

I've fallen victim to bronzing over the years, so I knew about it.  Mainly happens to first generation CDs made at certain pressing plants.  Thankfully much less of a problem these days.

Jules

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2013, 10:01:52 PM »

Hmm.  Looks like it might be a trip to iTunes for the live tracks I don't already have.  It isn't that long ago I bought the previous remastered version.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2013, 03:40:28 PM »

Oh bad luck Al. I had about 4 bronzed-over PDO discs, and had them replaced by the company some years ago. They stopped doing the replacements after a while.
Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2013, 10:25:15 PM »

An album I listen to a lot and an album I love but as I've already got the big Sandy box I'm not at all motivated to buy this.

Widds

Loc: Preston, Lancashire

Take aurally once a month.

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2013, 10:10:03 PM »

You can read the full press release (and see some nice photos) here:
http://folkcasters.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/new-moon-for-fairport.html

Keep focused on FolkCast!
www.folkcast.co.uk
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2013, 09:11:03 AM »

Thanks Widds, that's whetted my appetite.  I feel a (slightly) belated birthday present to self coming on.  Unless of course Universal manage to get some advance copies to Cropredy...  Smiley

Flobbadob!
Austin S

Loc: Iowa City, IA, USA

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2013, 08:59:14 PM »

Pre-order is available (Amazon UK only):
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rising-For-Moon-Fairport-Convention/dp/B00DVH4ABY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374695933&sr=8-1&keywords=rising+for+the+moon+deluxe
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2013, 09:05:34 AM »

Pre-ordered as a birthday present for someone. Thought I had better get two while I was at it!  Wink
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2013, 04:24:42 PM »

Will keep my eye out for it, and add it to my newly revised Amazon wishlist with all my Fairport/RT CD's affected by bronzing added. Thanks as well Widds for the details!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: