TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:08:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Waterboys Fisherman's Blues sessions box  (Read 84114 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2013, 10:56:51 AM »

Entertaining interview with The Waterboys in The Guardian.  I particularly like Steve's story about the gay chef:-

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/dec/05/waterboys-irish-roots-fishermans-box-mike-scott

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2013, 11:14:15 AM »

Entertaining interview with The Waterboys in The Guardian.  I particularly like Steve's story about the gay chef:-

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/dec/05/waterboys-irish-roots-fishermans-box-mike-scott

Jules

Yes have just read that. In the sleeve notes to the box Mike says that the full story is in his book.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2013, 11:38:01 AM »

Yes have just read that. In the sleeve notes to the box Mike says that the full story is in his book.

It is, but I enjoyed Steve's angle on it.

Jules

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2013, 12:00:35 PM »

It is, but I enjoyed Steve's angle on it.

Jules

I refuse to read either until Anto and Trevor put their versions in print

The Dude abides
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2013, 12:13:16 PM »

I refuse to read either until Anto and Trevor put their versions in print

Anto actually does get a quote in during the interview.

Jules

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2013, 09:51:38 PM »

Jules

"Fisherman's Box is out now on PLG in six-CD and an eight-CD deluxe version.".  Really?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2013, 11:06:42 PM »

"Fisherman's Box is out now on PLG in six-CD and an eight-CD deluxe version.".  Really?

No.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #127 on: September 15, 2021, 08:15:55 PM »

I see the details of the new box celebrating the Room To Roam era are now out.

Hilariously Amazon UK want £30 more for the big box then the German supplier who I have ordered from. It was a no brainer. Amazon really aren't doing themselves any favours these days.

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/the-waterboys-the-magnificent-seven-5cddvd-box-set/
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #128 on: September 15, 2021, 09:25:43 PM »

Hilariously Amazon UK want £30 more for the big box then the German supplier who I have ordered from. It was a no brainer. Amazon really aren't doing themselves any favours these days.

https://superdeluxeedition.com/news/the-waterboys-the-magnificent-seven-5cddvd-box-set/

There seems to be a real split in the box set market at the moment...you've got mega boxes like the VdGG and Caravan sets which work out at about £5 a disc and you've got things like the Beach Boys and this which are £15+ a disc for something much much smaller.  It doesn't look like value to me, much as I want it.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #129 on: September 15, 2021, 09:58:53 PM »

There seems to be a real split in the box set market at the moment...you've got mega boxes like the VdGG and Caravan sets which work out at about £5 a disc and you've got things like the Beach Boys and this which are £15+ a disc for something much much smaller.  It doesn't look like value to me, much as I want it.

Well, I have pre-ordered the big box for just over £60 which doesn't seem bad to me for 5 CDs, a DVD and a substantial book but there is also a budget clamshell version with all the CDs and the DVD but no book for about £35 or less which seems more than reasonable, a shade over £5 per disc as you say.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2021, 10:48:04 PM »

Hilariously Amazon UK want £30 more for the big box then the German supplier who I have ordered from.

And that German supplier is..?

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #131 on: September 16, 2021, 08:01:12 AM »

Hilariously Amazon UK want £30 more for the big box then the German supplier who I have ordered from.

And that German supplier is..?

Jules

jpc.de
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #132 on: September 16, 2021, 09:02:46 AM »

Well, I have pre-ordered the big box for just over £60 which doesn't seem bad to me for 5 CDs, a DVD and a substantial book but there is also a budget clamshell version with all the CDs and the DVD but no book for about £35 or less which seems more than reasonable, a shade over £5 per disc as you say.

But surely you'll get stung for import VAT charges?

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #133 on: September 16, 2021, 09:44:29 AM »

My understanding is not if the value of the consignment (excluding delivery charges) is less than £135.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/online-shopping-do-i-have-to-pay-vat-import-and-handling-costs-ajPOC6A5brEA
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #134 on: September 16, 2021, 10:08:55 AM »

My understanding is not if the value of the consignment (excluding delivery charges) is less than £135.

https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/online-shopping-do-i-have-to-pay-vat-import-and-handling-costs-ajPOC6A5brEA

The difficulty comes in Royal Mail determining correctly the difference between "Gifts" and "Goods".  In my experience they often get this wrong and try and add 20% import VAT to things even though they've been bought from a commercial seller. The appeals process is a nightmare.  I've stopped buying anything from abroad.  The idiots in power must love me...

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #135 on: September 16, 2021, 04:17:57 PM »

The difficulty comes in Royal Mail determining correctly the difference between "Gifts" and "Goods".  In my experience they often get this wrong and try and add 20% import VAT to things even though they've been bought from a commercial seller. The appeals process is a nightmare.  I've stopped buying anything from abroad.  The idiots in power must love me...

It is surely less likely that any given package is a gift than a purchase. Also I would be very surprised if it finds itself in the hands of Royal Mail Most of these suppliers use couriers and Deutsche Post are pretty on the ball. Amazon, from whose EU outlets I also have some items ordered, use their own logistics company so I have little to no fear about charges. It might be different if I was ordering from Ebay or similar.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #136 on: November 08, 2021, 09:24:38 PM »

Re ; The Waterboys Magnificent Seven box set and Book.  Does anyone know -
Does the £40 book come with the, somewhat less than reasonably priced, box set@£90+?😳😵

I'm a bit puzzled at the pricing of this set since the 6 cd "Fishermens Box" set came in at under £20😀😎🙋

The Dude abides
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #137 on: November 09, 2021, 08:29:24 AM »

Does the £40 book come with the, somewhat less than reasonably priced, box set@£90+?😳😵

I'm a bit puzzled at the pricing of this set since the 6 cd "Fishermens Box" set came in at under £20😀😎🙋

This may answer your query:  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #138 on: November 09, 2021, 09:38:45 AM »

This may answer your query:  Smiley

Gawdbless ya, Gun'nor

The Dude abides
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2022, 04:25:14 PM »

Looks like Steve has now left the band (all very nicely though, thankfully)... https://mikescottwaterboys.com/

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: