TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 04, 2024, 07:37:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Fairport by Fairport'  (Read 252668 times)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2012, 01:10:28 PM »

Mine turned up 10 minutes ago. Not sent "signed for" or anything like that, so slightly fortuitous I was in or it would have been left outside the front door.

A quick turn of the pages reveals it is indeed a book and I'll look at the DVD with Wendy tonight.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2012, 04:25:36 PM »

Still waiting for mine...

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2012, 09:11:26 PM »

Well, we watched the DVD. 45 minutes of perfectly nice interviews and some nice, if brief, musical interludes.

Felt a bit anodyne, but nice enough.

Will read the book this weekend.

Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2012, 09:20:05 PM »

Mine is getting closer and closer.... Wink
Has arrived in Stockholm,
Gothenburgh on Monday?
Can't wait!   Cheesy

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2012, 11:47:00 PM »

Hmmm. No sign of mine and no email to indicate it is on its way either which, given that I must have been one of the first to order, concerns me a bit.
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2012, 11:54:11 PM »

Hmmm. No sign of mine and no email to indicate it is on its way either which, given that I must have been one of the first to order, concerns me a bit.

I'm it the same boat GubGub, I am sure they haven't forgotten us.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #106 on: December 08, 2012, 08:00:44 AM »

Me neither Al...and I also ordered very early on...

Seems so long ago, I'd actually forgotten about it at one point !... Grin

Ah well !...hopefully something to look forward to for Christmas !... Wink
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 08:20:55 AM by Glen S » Logged
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #107 on: December 08, 2012, 11:38:54 AM »

not like you to get worried

The Dude abides
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #108 on: December 08, 2012, 12:43:36 PM »

Ah the soothing words and wisdom of young Jim Wink
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2012, 01:45:03 PM »

Almost completely calm Jim. Almost.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #110 on: December 09, 2012, 11:28:34 AM »

Let's hope not. Radio silence here, too.
tarda (Gill)
Our own Harvey Goldsmith
Folkcorp Guru

Otis tarda - a slow bird but a great bustard

« Reply #111 on: December 09, 2012, 06:38:59 PM »

And here

"And dreams let you down; they just let you down,
But they never leave you..."
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #112 on: December 09, 2012, 07:25:45 PM »

And here
Me too, there's comfort in numbers!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #113 on: December 09, 2012, 11:12:35 PM »

I don't want what I've written here to be seen as wholly negative. There's a lot in this book and I found it a curate's egg, really. I'm not sure it adds much to the sum of public knowledge about the band and the goings-on of the last 45 years much but it did add some knowledge to this reader.

Anyhow....

I keep wondering what I said in this book..

Not a huge amount. I've just finished the book and can only remember 1 quote from you. Allowing for poor memory there are probably a couple more, but I only remember that one and it's not more than a few words.

Or...is this in any way a bit of an expaned mashup of all the material already out there in the books for the Free Reed boxsets?

I've not seen the Free Reed boxset materials but I wouldn't be surprised. The book has many, many (!) overlapping (and sometimes repetitive) parts (not really chapters - perhaps sections is a better term) that wildly move about the chronology. One section will deal with events from 1996 up to 2012, the next will be back to 1978. This timey-wimey approach doesn't happen once, it happens frequently and this was confusing to me. And yes, track listings of various albums are detailed throughout the book and are probably the only chronological sections in it.

Many of the quotes from various sources (who include Sandy Denny, John Peel and other deceased luminaries) are obviously historical and culled from earlier works. How can they not be? Others quoted such as Swarb, Simon, Peggy et al have contributed a lot, but again these seem, in context, to have been culled from previous interviews. Some may be new, I have no way of telling.

There's a lot of events glossed over. Virtually no negativity, although some comments, such as Simon's when talking about Maart's departure, are less enigmatic than most. Drugs were apparently only used by Swarb and he got away with possession of cannabis resin by claiming it was rosin. Ho! Ho! Ho! Events of the last US tour which eventually reduced Fairport by the enforced absence of Peggy are ignored. Truths about various events that I know (albeit third hand, from reliable sources) are ignored in favour of very much a fan's point of view being used by the author. Again, fair enough, but I was hoping for a less selective approach, sad git that I am. Mind you I have no idea why I thought any more warts would be made visible.

Incidentally "Fairport by Fairport" is actually "Fairport by Nigel Schofield with lots of quotes" but I suppose that's what I expected, really.

I may or may not do a proper review later. For the moment I'll restrict myself here to the comments above and let others judge when the read the book.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 11:41:58 PM by Andy » Logged

Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #114 on: December 09, 2012, 11:48:11 PM »

I should add that the DVD is 45 minutes long and nicely structured although still anodyne.

And in anticipation of those not liking what I've written above, I paid £40 to read this book and think that probably entitles me to state my opinions.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 12:04:11 AM by Andy » Logged

Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #115 on: December 10, 2012, 12:05:34 AM »

I should add that the DVD is 45 minutes long, nicely structured and interesting, although still anodyne.

And in anticipation of those not liking what I've written above, I paid £40 to read this book and think that probably entitles me to state my opinions.

As a person who has not yet recieved the book, and expecting some kind of coffee table object, I only have one question, are there any new or nice pictures? I must admit at this late date I wasn't expecting any revelations, and as far as recent history not particularly interested. What you described is what I expected, as you say £40, hopefully it will have more value than an object sold in the sunday supplements, collector plate etc which can often go for similar prices.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #116 on: December 10, 2012, 12:35:46 AM »

I think this has decided me not to waste my money! I will spend it on lots of new CDs.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #117 on: December 10, 2012, 12:36:45 AM »

I think this has decided me not to waste my money! I will spend it on lots of new CDs.

Get other people's opinions before you decide, mine is but one voice.

I should add that the DVD is 45 minutes long, nicely structured and interesting, although still anodyne.

As a person who has not yet recieved the book, and expecting some kind of coffee table object, I only have one question, are there any new or nice pictures? I must admit at this late date I wasn't expecting any revelations, and as far as recent history not particularly interested. What you described is what I expected, as you say £40, hopefully it will have more value than an object sold in the sunday supplements, collector plate etc which can often go for similar prices.
It's no coffee table book, just bog standard book size and no, no new pics that I recall, other than a rather bland view of "the field".
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 12:51:57 AM by Andy » Logged

Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #118 on: December 10, 2012, 07:59:25 AM »

Sorry, there is a pic of the author with Swarb, onstage for Meet on the Ledge, 2012. That's obviously new.

The band's signatures are on an insert rather than on a book page itself, by the way.

...and I really will shut up now.

hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #119 on: December 10, 2012, 08:00:21 AM »

Andy thanks for your comments.
I have the 'Fairport Unconventional' book , which I bought seperately from the Box Set several years ago. It was, sold as,'a new a definitive history of the first 35 years of Fairport Convention and their music in words and pictures.' I therefore only saw the new book as adding new inf over the last 10 yrs. I was hoping for insight in to some of the murkier aspects of the bands career and not an airbrushed approach.
I accept this is  solely your opinion and I will wait for the view of others but at present you are confirming my fears that this book would add little and was not really Fairport by Fairport . Lovely thing to have signed by all the band, I think, which is how it has been marketed but not worth a £40 investment for me.
Incidentally, if you haven't seen it,the Fairport Unconventional book could not be more chronoligical(!) chronicling each year seperately from '67 to 2002, covering all releases, all Cropredys and an addendum giving a detailed history of a great deal of the reportoire. (and a great number of pictures)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: